Parents training group for level 3 repeats?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SHELOVESGYM

Proud Parent
We are at a gym with a very small team program -8 level 3s this year. Fewer in levels 4 and 5. We just learned that our entire level 3 group will stay together as a training group for next season but some will compete 4 and some will repeat 3. There will also be a new group of 3s (coming from pre team) but they will be a separate group. I do not think this has been done before in our gym and I'm not sure why they are doing this now. I am having a hard time imagining how a split level group will work -has anyone experienced this? I would love to hear the reasoning behind it and how it worked out. I'm hoping that if my DD is one of the repeats she will have opportunity to up train -is this part of the reasoning behind it?

Did you ask?

Our gym level 4-9 train on the same days, 4s start a half hour later then the rest. Last year the 4s trained with the 5-9s. This yesr the 4 s are big enough for their own group.

On Monday level 3-9 practice, staggered times again. Our gym up trains.

I would think your gym is grouping the kids by ability and to make sure there Are enough coaches for the groups.

Very common. DD is in a training group with girls who will compete L8 and L9. DS's group goes from L8 through L10. As long as the skill levels within the group are relatively close, it's not a problem. The coaches can design drills and stations that will work for a range of skills. Really, the only problem I've seen is that DS's group has something like three or four different vault settings, but all that means is that a vault rotation is really a vault and trampoline rotation for them. (It's the same thing on pbars, but they have three sets of bars and a set of blocks, so no one has any excuse to be hanging around doing nothing useful.)

We had this in the past. Basically, everyone was training L4, and some were having a much easier time with the skills, some were still not ready.......after a few months, we noticed the two different routines, L3 and then L4 emerge. It worked out fine, and for those L3's they benefitted quite a bit since they spent a few months basically up training....

It works out fine, don't worry......now DD is in a group with 4 levels all together.....they just train what they are ready for.

It wouldn't work at our gym since there's a huge step up in hours (and cost) between L3 and L4. They come on different days. 4/5 work out together but still get split into their "level groups".
Once you get past that though they do make some leeway and we have had plenty of girls who don't quite make L7 still work out and train with their group but just compete L5 instead. The hours are somewhat similar and at that point they are all working on higher level skills, just some don't quite get there in time.

Our gym does this.. my dds are repeating l3 with their entire team of 7 from last season. They train 4 days a week 12 hours. New l3 kids come 3 days a week and do 6 hours. They train 3 days with the old l3 kids, and separate out most of the time because new 3s are focusing on level 3, old 3s are up training 4,5,6 skills. There is no way they could train together. Only when running through routines before meets do they really go together. It will work out fine. And if your DD repeats it ends up working out fine. Our team is rocking the podium and refining l4 skills so they will do great next year as 4s rather than having a terrible 4 year this year :)

Our new gym is fairly big (At least for this area and certainly a lot bigger than the old gym) and our training sessions have mixed levels, and not the same each day. Like Mondays 4/5/6 are together, but Wednesdays it's 4/5 and separately 6-9. Thursdays the 4s are with the 3s and Saturday 3/4 are together and 5-9 are different. I'm not really sure for the reasoning, but they do often break the groups up within the training sessions too. I kind of like it. I would assume it lets kids work on what they specifically need? Still new to this gym and figuring it all out! Good luck to you!

[QUOTE="SHELOVESGYM, post: 422676, member: 1852are at a gym with a very small team program -8 level 3s this year. Fewer in levels 4 and 5. We just learned that our entire level 3 group will stay together as a training group for next season but some will compete 4 and some will repeat 3. There will also be a new group of 3s (coming from pre team) but they will be a separate group. I do not think this has been done before in our gym and I'm not sure why they are doing this now. I am having a hard time imagining how a split level group will work -has anyone experienced this? I would love to hear the reasoning behind it and how it worked out. I'm hoping that if my DD is one of the repeats she will have opportunity to up train -is this part of the reasoning behind it?[/QUOTE]
More than likely, this is so the repeaters can uptrain while the new level 3s work on level 3 skills and learning the routines (which the repeaters already know).
When we first started on team, the entire team was 12 girls. 6 were old L4. The next year, there were more girls added to that level, but like your group, our gym kept the girls together. It worked just fine. They split up for vault, table girls/ stack girls... one group on air track.

My DD's gym does also sometimes have mixed levels. It seems more common at the optional level, though.

In my DD's gym, there is also a mix of different levels in a group. Her group counts 12 girls that train the same hours (and are always referred to as one group). I'm not sure which US level they compare, but I would guess it is ranging between L3 to L6. The girls usually spend 2-4 years in this group.
8 came from last year's pre-team and rec, 4 were already in the group last year.
They do warm-ups and conditioning together. For skill building, they divide into 3 sub-groups of 4 girls (the experienced kids, a faster paced group and a slower paced group). They each work at different stations.
If the subgroups are not balanced (e.g. absence of a coach, or kids), they divide into 2 groups, and usually split the faster paced group (but depending on skill. E.g. My DD gets to train with the older kids for floor and beam, but not for vault)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back