WAG Level 7 beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
Hey y'all.......so anyone have any good ideas for replacing the BHS in L7 beam? Just wondering what else might work until my munchkin gets over this darn block. I know the round off is one......does a FWO work?

Her BHS is morphing too.....it now looks all wide, and messy.....oh well...I think it's getting ready for Halloween.......scary!!!

I think you need a skill that takes flight, so the roundoff would work for that but not a FWO.

I have seen FWO in L7 beam routines, but it was used to get 2 connected skills, so they did something like FWO-cartwheel.

Girls on our team that were struggling with the BHS do a roundoff back tuck dismount.

Please note - some gyms don't allow a replacement. Our gym no longer allows anything other than BWO-BHS in L7. Girls doing other things are a hold-over from when the levels changed a couple of years ago.

Ours gym is similar to kayjabe. For L7 you are required to do a connected BHS series (BWO-BHS or BHS-BHS). If you don't have that you compete L6. We have had a couple of girls who have a physical reason/injury preventing them from doing a BHS. Those girls are allowed to use a RO (either alone or as part of their dismount) to substitute for the BHS. Otherwise, if a girl has a mental block about her series in the middle of her L7 season she scratches beam. You may need to prepare yourself and your DD for this if your gym is pretty strict about their criteria.

Best of luck. Mental Blocks and Fears are certainly no fun for anyone.

Substitutes for a BHS in 7 that I know of are a round off, and that move where you go back like you're doing a backhandspring but then land w/ the beam between your legs. I think a front handspring will work too. I didn't think you could do the flight element as the lead up to the dismount, but I guess I'm wrong. Our gym seems to really want a series that ends w/ a BHS for 7.

Ours gym is similar to kayjabe. For L7 you are required to do a connected BHS series (BWO-BHS or BHS-BHS). If you don't have that you compete L6. We have had a couple of girls who have a physical reason/injury preventing them from doing a BHS. Those girls are allowed to use a RO (either alone or as part of their dismount) to substitute for the BHS. Otherwise, if a girl has a mental block about her series in the middle of her L7 season she scratches beam. You may need to prepare yourself and your DD for this if your gym is pretty strict about their criteria.

Best of luck. Mental Blocks and Fears are certainly no fun for anyone.
Actually, I'm trying to prepare myself for 7!!!! I want her to do 6 but the coach wants her bars....... I rather she does a great season of 6.... And then mentally she will be ready for L7 skills..... Rushing is what causes fears.....
Not to mention, L7 is a level where there are TONS of really good athletes.... I don't want her to feel she is not good.....
Imagine skipping two levels, working your butt off, and then feel you suck??? NO THANKS....

Sounds like you may have bigger questions than how to replace the BHS! ;-) Technically, the RO or FHS is the only thing I can think of that would work as an alternative "element with flight". However, our gym requires a BHS for L6, and BWO/BHS or BHS/BHS for L7. Similar to other gyms, those who develop blocks mid season have to scratch the event. If her coach insists on L7 and the blocks persist, perhap she/he will have her omit the skill and take the SR deduction in the beginnning. It would really bring her scores down, but at least she would compete safely and confidently. Will she do a BWO? or FWO? I love your attitude. Rushing does lead to fears, and it's just not necessary!

Shes got FWO and BWO-BWO easy...she does a tick tock in her L6 routine......BWO-BT dismount.
She has two places where she can switch the BWO to the BHS.....but she has this block. I personally think they should MOVE ON without it for now, and let her clear her mind until she can accomplish other skills.......sometimes this helps kids re-build confidence.
They keep pushing it but its making it worse IMO.
Again, they think like a lot of gyms if you have giants go for 7.....I think if you have giants, but not everything else, that kick butt at 6!!!
I feel they really need to set that standard, no BHS, no L7.....i'm good with that.
So until then, I just want to KNOW what alternate skills they could come up with in case this goes to 7.....
I have to remember that the coaches have a lot of experience and if they 'see' some additional potential, they may push...I do not want to limit her, but I need to protect her.

My job right now is to try a remain as relaxed as possible for her....while they push her. Try to just be her biggest fan, give her lots of hugs, and not to get over involved.....

Last edited:
@flippinam ; our old gym tried to use that particular skill, but none of the girls ever got "B" credit for it. I guess it's difficult to do, if done correctly. :) Have you had better luck?
I actually had typed that it was difficult to get credit for. Not sure what happened when I posted! But yes, it is difficult to get credit for which is why we haven't had anybody compete it yet. However, we have one that's deathly afraid of the BHS & RO & has a very nice one, so she may end up competing it. We'll see how things go!

Lots of girls do a back tuck here. Is that harder to get than a BHS? My daughter seems to find it easier because you don't have the double touch on beam. But we don't have a connection requirement at Level 7, so connecting it might be tougher. She's doing BHS-BT/BP for Level 8 where we are required to connect two skills, one involving flight.

That skill where they swing down onto the beam is called a korbut. Quite a few gyms use that here, but our coach doesn't like it because it messes with their technique for BHS and can't have anything added on the end.

I actually had typed that it was difficult to get credit for. Not sure what happened when I posted! But yes, it is difficult to get credit for which is why we haven't had anybody compete it yet. However, we have one that's deathly afraid of the BHS & RO & has a very nice one, so she may end up competing it. We'll see how things go!
We have a girl that always got credit for the dive cartwheel. They have to show flight before the hands hit to get the credit. There is also a dive handstand ... and she could walkover out of that :)

Here a back tuck isn't allowed in level 7 since it's a C acro. Only one dance C is allowed.

I forgot about that! We don't have limits on the level of skills here in Australia. So if you want to compete C's, D's or E's at Level 7 you can. Although it's rare to see higher than C's at Level 7. Plenty of D's at Level 8 though.

Scratch my suggestion then!

RELIEF!!!!! DD is getting her way and will do Level 6!!! We are so happy...
No stress, no BHS......her beam will be:
tick-tock, BWO
Full turn, Split jump, sissone.
Needle scale to FWO
dismount is CW-BT or BWO-BT

I think there are too many skills right now, which is by design since the coach will remove some depending on the quality later on...

Can you imagine if she ends up getting the BHS now that the pressure is off? I will laugh!!!

tick-tock, BWO
Needle scale to FWO

I think there are too many skills right now, which is by design since the coach will remove some depending on the quality later on...

Can you imagine if she ends up getting the BHS now that the pressure is off? I will laugh!!!
A bag of chocs says she gets it the next practice, lol!

tick-tock, BWO
Needle scale to FWO

My daughter has been having a major fear over BWO on beam (she's L6). She finally had a full blown freakout last week, so they have taken it out of the routine, and replaced with a handstand.
(when she gets the BWO back, it will go back).

Now that the pressure is off, everyone's taking bets that she will get it long before competition... and part of me agrees ;)

Good luck to your daughter!

YES!!! Pressure off! then it will flow...
DD is doing the BHS very nicely again on the low beam......they are keeping her there until she begs to go higher.......reverse psychology i guess.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back