WAG Nutrition component of coaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

For one thing, we do not practice over 4 hours and my kids have ample access to a snack. If it has to be Oreos because someone forgot, then so be it. It is just not a preferred snack. Not sure why that opinion is SO wrong.

I share your opinion. Right now we don't even have a snack break but I dislike kids bringing packaged sugary snacks (i.e. a Snickers bar) to practice. It happened a lot during the rec classes I was coaching when I first started out.
I didn't take the food from the kids or anything, but I might have nudged them towards bringing something a little more balanced next time. Especially because they were practising for only two hours at a time and for the most part (except for those who came straight from school or had otherwise not been provided with a meal at home) could've done without any food in the first place.

I regularly communicate with parents so if someone had a problem with what I was telling the girls (which has happened before, though unrelated to diet), they'd know I'm very much approachable.

I'm curious as to whether my stance will change when I have children myself. We'll see.

For one thing, we do not practice over 4 hours and my kids have ample access to a snack. If it has to be Oreos because someone forgot, then so be it. It is just not a preferred snack. Not sure why that opinion is SO wrong.

I don't think the opinion is wrong, in and of itself. I just think it is wrong for a coach to voice that opinion to a child without knowing exactly what the circumstances are. And if the gym sells the oreos, then I think the coach is wrong to voice that opinion to anyone but the gym owner!

You still haven't said what your preferred snack is?

Reactions: sce
I don't think the opinion is wrong, in and of itself. I just think it is wrong for a coach to voice that opinion to a child without knowing exactly what the circumstances are. And if the gym sells the oreos, then I think the coach is wrong to voice that opinion to anyone but the gym owner!

The building doesn't belong to the gym. The Owner of the building leases the space in the common areas to a vending company that sells this stuff.

Preferred snacks are fruit-based snacks. So any type of fruit pretty much.

Honestly, not one of the girls on my daughter's team needs to be losing weight. Each and everyone of them needs to be eating enough to be building muscle, not eating for weight loss. An apple with a 4 hour workout might be a good idea for an adult trying to get fit and lose fat, but I don't think it is nearly enough for a growing child in a competitive sport.

If my DD ate a small apple and that is it for practice, she would be even thinner than she is right now. She needs the energy that the easily available carbs gives her. But she also needs the calories that something like caramel dip (with the apple) or a pb and banana sandwich, or even some oreos, etc., bring to the picture.

So what are everyone's thoughts on this?

YouTube video:

PDF attached below.

That pdf is similar to what the RD discussed with us. Some differences based on the things more specific to the timing of meals and snacks for our girls with school, etc.

The problem is that most nutritional research is focused on adults who want to stay in reasonably good shape despite having a mostly-sedentary lifestyle. But the nutritional needs of adults who spend 3-5 hours/week exercising are not even in the same ballpark as the nutritional needs of a growing kid who spends 15 hours/week doing gymnastics.

The problem is that most nutritional research is focused on adults who want to stay in reasonably good shape despite having a mostly-sedentary lifestyle. But the nutritional needs of adults who spend 3-5 hours/week exercising are not even in the same ballpark as the nutritional needs of a growing kid who spends 15 hours/week doing gymnastics.
Or any sport for that matter...when I was in competitive swimming, I could easily eat a large pizza in one sitting without gaining a pound....

This is why I advocate seeing a professional sports dietitian/nutritionist (whichever one is the one with actual qualifications in whatever country you're in). My daughter has food allergies etc and I needed to know that she was getting the right nutrition with her restricted diet, enough to fuel her properly for growing and training. So we got professional advice.

We have been to such people several times over the years, just to have a check up every now and again - bodies grow, needs change, training increases - so it is worth re-evaluating every few years.

If you are speaking with a well-trained, knowledgeable professional who is dealing with your specific child, their specific needs, and their specific training schedule, then surely that's the best information for your child?

Fruit is carbs. We are talking about a quick snack during a 3-4 hour practice.

Its not like this is the only meal the kids are getting.
They are getting nutrition before and after practice correct??? Prtotein, carbs, fat, correct??

Again our kids go 3 hours, only water breaks.

None of them are starving or under fed.

Or any sport for that matter...when I was in competitive swimming, I could easily eat a large pizza in one sitting without gaining a pound....

When I was a freshman in high school (and doing 12 hours/week of gym and another 14ish hours/week of juggling), we had a health project that involved tracking our calorie intake for a week. The health teacher mentioned that the average adult consumes 2000-2500 calories per day, which made me laugh, as I averaged about that number per meal.

Fruit is carbs. We are talking about a quick snack during a 3-4 hour practice.

Its not like this is the only meal the kids are getting.
They are getting nutrition before and after practice correct??? Prtotein, carbs, fat, correct??

Again our kids go 3 hours, only water breaks.

None of them are starving or under fed.

That may be true for your particular gym... but the conversation is snacks in general and/or why (or why not) coaches should be involved in conversations about nutrition.

And even fruit, by the way, doesn't work for everyone. My son's body does not digest fructose -- even natural fructose. Which means virtually no fruit. (Berries have more glucose than fructose and so are tolerated, but that is it). So, your telling him to snack on fruit would be really frustrating to him. And someone telling him that an apple would be better than chips would be a problem. Someone insisting he not eat chips or throwing away his chips would make me really, really angry. Yes, I know this is a relatively rare condition and a special case, but that is exactly the point -- a coach would not necessarily know all of the details of his diagnosis and restrictions. An apple would make him sick. Chips won't. Simple choice. Unless, of course, the gym wants someone who is experiencing "severe gastric distress" in their facility. Trust me, so not fun to clean up. Long story short -- coaches should stay out of snack choices.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back