Parents Too soon for preteam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

KnitNinja

Proud Parent
Hi everyone, this is my first post in the forums. My daughter will be four next month and started gymnastics a couple of months ago, over the summer. She LOVES it. Her favorite thing is bars, and other parents who watch the class have pointed her out as good (pointed toes), fearless, focused. My kid wants one of the big shiny pink trophies on display at the gym, and wants to learn more skills- she's frustrated that she can't do a backward roll yet, or pullover or handstand or or or. I love that she's so into it but I don't want to be too pushy either, with her or with the powers that be at the gym. Preteam starts at 4 in our gym but I'm not sure about the procedures for getting invited/evaluated on it. Would it be too forward, at this time of the year, after she's only been in a few months, to ask about preteam?

As has been said, all gyms handle preteam selections and processes differently. Nothing wrong with asking how it works at YOUR gym.

Yep ask, and she is not even 4 yet. It will all work out and it is a really long road.

She's 3? They will approach you when she's skilled enough for it. The vast majority of gyms don't have a "preteam" for 3 and 4 year olds, and most preteams require a pullover to be accepted. There are exceptions to this, but in general that's what you can expect. Gyms usually have a more advanced preschool class that is more skills focused rather than play which feeds into their preteam.

It would be appropriate to approach the front office and say your daughter seems to like gymnastics so you were wondering how the preteam/team program works...what age, do you request an evaluation, is there an advanced or more skills focused class, etc. I don't think that is pushy, just ask about how the program works.

I'd say about to turn 4 is a perfect time to simply inquire about the path to pre-team/team, and to simply express that you and your daughter would be interested when the time comes. If you already know your pre-team starts at age 4, then it doesn't hurt at all to ask questions and assess potential fit for your daughter. Our pre-team is age 6-8(ish) but we have pre-pre-team (called "Developmental") that starts at age 4, so I'm sure it's similar.

I know a lot of people on here will say "Don't worry, they will alert you if they think she is right for pre-team", and that may be absolutely true in your gym, but I don't think you can always count on it. I've said it before on here that at our gym (for one), it widely varies whether a child is 'targeted' vs whether a parent had to track down the information about team opportunities. In our case, it's because there are a wide variety of rec coaches, and some are more connected to the team coaches than others and more apt to 'discover' a kid with early talent/focus and proactively recommend a Developmental track (path to team) for that kid. But other rec coaches just don't have this in mind at all, and they might not even know which team coach to talk to about pre-team even if you ask. They will not even be thinking about 'recruiting' any rec kids to team. It's their job just to provide a great rec experience.

Getting information is not too forward! Ask away :)

I think every gym is different and it cannot hurt to ask. I inquired myself at our first gym and it just so happened I asked the Head Coach who I didn't know was the head coach at the time. She also taught rec classes so I had no clue she was the go to person. She was overjoyed when I asked, said she didn't like to push people but she knew my dd well and they moved her midseason within a week to pre-team and she competed L3 a couple months after.

I know this does not happen all the time but its definitely worth an inquiry.

Quick update on this issue- I talked to the coach, and the HC is going to come evaluate my daughter at the next lesson.
Coach says she has great form! She pointed her toes on beam without being told (and refused a spot on the high beam!) she was the only one of the class of five girls to try walking backward on the beam without holding the coach's hands.
So I'm proud but nervous about the evaluation. No way to prepare her (let the coaches do the coaching!) so I'll try not to think about it until then. But I really do think she's ready to learn level 1 skills and focus more on skills. She told her coach "I want to win!"

Awww, she sounds so cute! My little was like that at 3 too.. totally fearless. She started gym when she was 2 (mommy and me) coaches said she had naturally pointed toes and would likely be invited to advanced classes. When she was 3.5 she was asked to the pre-pre team going 2 days a week for an hour and a half. By then she had cartwheel, pull over and handstand and could climb the rope.

I would ask.. it doesn't hurt. I honestly knew nothing about pre-team prior to her being invited. Find out about costs and commitment. It does get $$$$$$ and the hours increases yearly, same with costs.

Best of luck to your cutie :)

Always ask. Many rec coaches have no idea. So, ask a team coach. They don't mind the inquiries. As a coach, I appreciate when parents show interest in moving forward. It's not a bad thing at all.

Rec coach did evaluation today, and my daughter was at her worst. Constantly looking toward me, showing off, not following directions, etc. So she's in the basic class for at least another 8 weeks. At least it won't wreak havoc on our schedule through the holidays- trying to have perspective.

She is four. It will all work out eventually.
Yes, this. And next time she is evaluated, she will either decide she wants this and go for it, or perhaps it would be better if you aren't right there (if she can handle that...my DD could NOT have handled that at age 4!). I am sure she will have fun for the next 8 weeks, and still learn while doing so, because at age 4, this is par for the course.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back