WAG Question about team wear?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Not me. Last year they tried to put DD in a leo that was only going to fit her for a year. We don't get new designs every year and darned if I'm splashing out on another $250 leo each year.
We went up a size and it fit her fine. She'll be able to wear if again this season.
You're right I stand corrected. I upped her warm up size this year, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten more then a season.

So ultimately I get veto power.

Our HC and our leo company rep do the sizing. I actually don't know what size competition leo they ordered for DD. I simply write the check. I figure that it is better that way. If the leo doesn't fit, I am not the one responsible.
But are you the one responsible for writing another check to get another leotard that fits?

I allowed the GK rep to size YG the year we switched to the "soon to be discontinued" leos. She said that YG needed a CM because the CL sizer (Nylon - tried on by idk how many hundreds of girls) had extra room in the shoulder area when she pulled it up tight. The rep KNEW we were getting mystique leotards - totally different fit.... And that there were seams on the bodice - which anyone with a 9th grade home ec class should know would make the vertical stretch even less than straight mystique.

I also told her that I would like her to be able to wear the leotard for a couple of years and I thought I had a better chance with the CL. Many of her practice leos were CL at the time and even a couple AXS, though the AXS were a little loose.

She said that the CL would be way too big and convinced HC (with the sizer leotards).
Well... the CM fit... for 5 meets (she could wear it from the house or hotel to the meet and not change until after awards). Then it was tight for 11 meets (the rest of the first season and most of hte 2nd season... we had hoped it would make it through because the new leotards were way too expensive since they were special order... she would put it on just before open stretch and take it off right after awards). Then it was painted on for one meet (very small meet, lasted maybe a half hour total and I had to help PEEL the leotard off of her). Then we had to borrow a leo from an injured teammate for Y Nationals - AXS (and it fit perfectly).

Since that experience in 11/12-12/13 seasons, I make sure to have input in her sizing (and HC makes sure all parents have input - HC measures... circles where each measurement falls... and offers a suggested size with leeway allowed 1 size up or down based on parents knowing their children).

Thanks for all your responses!
I am happy to hear most of your clubs head coaches decide. I agree that it's best they decide and not the parents. It is still an ongoing headache right now. I do like the idea of having the girls vote! Great idea!

I also agree that the coaches should be the ones that confirm the fit. Sounds like GK Elite is a good brand? I can see how the wrong colour (white) could be a disaster! We will stay away from it.
Thanks again everyone:)

In a 2 year cycle, there will always be a couple of girls who grow faster than expected.

HC balances roomy enough for 2 seasons with not wanting any wrinkled fabric the judges might see as a poor position.

It sounds like your team's sizing problem was with your rep. We have a excellent rep and a HC with 20+ years experience with competition leos. I would guess we have less than 10% of our girls need a new leo in the 2nd year of a cycle due to sizing (I only know 1 for sure who grew significantly).

Thanks for all your responses!
I am happy to hear most of your clubs head coaches decide. I agree that it's best they decide and not the parents. It is still an ongoing headache right now. I do like the idea of having the girls vote! Great idea!

I also agree that the coaches should be the ones that confirm the fit. Sounds like GK Elite is a good brand? I can see how the wrong colour (white) could be a disaster! We will stay away from it.
Thanks again everyone:)

Myself and an assistant coach chose four leotards and then let the competition team chose which leotard they wanted between the four. It worked really well and because of that, I didn't get any whining and complaining from girls saying they didn't like the leotard. I chose the warm-ups for my team as well, with input from our owner, the girls had no influence for that decision.

We use Alpha Factor for everything. GK Elite is typically more expensive, and can/will run out of stock on something without notice. This is what happened with our level 2 competition leotard, which is a stock leotard and not custom ordered. They guaranteed us that this leotard would be in stock for two years. However, six months after our first order, getting ready to place our second order, we found out they discontinued that style. We switched to AF and have had great luck with them the entire time.

We use Alpha Factor for everything. GK Elite is typically more expensive, and can/will run out of stock on something without notice. This is what happened with our level 2 competition leotard, which is a stock leotard and not custom ordered. They guaranteed us that this leotard would be in stock for two years. However, six months after our first order, getting ready to place our second order, we found out they discontinued that style. We switched to AF and have had great luck with them the entire time.
Our leo that became "special order" for the second season (the 12-13 season) and then not even available at all 4 months later had been on the finale of "Make It Or Break It" (May 2012). And our "custom" warm up pants (basic black - nothing special) were on back order so we went with IN STOCK ... stock Warm Up pants and they were still late!
We also made the switch to AF and are very happy :)

I don't have experience with Leos and gymnastics, but I was the head coach of a sports program for a couple years and got to choose new varsity uniforms. Basically I got to choose and my athletic director had final say. There was no way I would ever involve the parents. Way too many cooks in the kitchen.

I did however pick two designs and let the girls vote between the two. It was fun and either choice was great. I definitely think that HC/gym owner should get final say for a team Leo. A team represents their gym and should be what they think best does that job.

All xcel girls got new leos and warmups this year, and it was decided for them. They only have a practice tank leo and warmups so far - they are not super fancy but they are nice and look sharp. I can't wait to see the comp leos.

I really think coaches #1, athletes #2...parents virtually no say as it could get messy with so many varying opinions. Input from the gymnasts, esp the older ones, can be important in terms of liking a Leo for comfort. But, no, as a parent I wouldn't expect to have a say.

Great to know!
Our club has some parents that expect most of the say in team wear selection. It has become a huge problem, arguing, refusal to pay etc.
It has been an ongoing battle for months and the coaches are going crazy!

I agree that the head coach and athlete votes are the way to go with who decides. Minimal input by parents.
Anyone have any success with a parent or parents choosing?
That is really crazy. Honestly, parents expect way too much. The coaches know what they want for the girls. They know the look they're after. They know how other gyms present. It shouldn't have anything to do with the parents. Or the kids! Our coaches would never ask the kids because by the time they are teens, they all have opinions and it wouldn't be pretty lol!

That is really crazy. Honestly, parents expect way too much. The coaches know what they want for the girls. They know the look they're after. They know how other gyms present. It shouldn't have anything to do with the parents. Or the kids! Our coaches would never ask the kids because by the time they are teens, they all have opinions and it wouldn't be pretty lol!

Our coaches know what they want. They would never present an open ended option to the girls. But the older girls/upper levels do have a say. But the choices are already decided by the coach. Its do you want a or b. Your opinions duly noted, I'll let you know. Not what do you want. That would be a disaster, where no one wins.

I agree with this 100%! I don't know if anyone has kids in other team sports here, but could you imagine the mess if your child's baseball or soccer coach decided to get the kids and parents' input on what uniforms they would wear?

No, our gym takes care of all of that.

I just want to toss out there that my DD did school cheer year for a year before we moved and the girls, with their parents, did get to choose the uniforms- even though they were ultimately to be owned by the school to be rented out by the season. It wasn't any sort of cluster, and everything turned out just fine. My DD lobbied for and started the squad and probably would have been upset if she had zero input. I was certainly glad to have input too because some cheer uniforms are a little fresh to my eyes. Just saying it's not the unicorn it sounds like. Parents and kids can make decisions without destroying the world.

As I said earlier, one year, our girls got to look at the entire GK catalog and write down their favorite leotards. They had two weeks to do this (before practice or during munchie break)
Then HC did a mock up of the top 4 vote getters and had the girls vote for #1, #2, #3, or #4.
HC decided colors when doing the mock ups, so the girls were really voting on style.
The following practice, she had the top 2 vote getters in a final vote... and the girls picked the leotard they wanted by majority vote.
It worked out just fine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back