WAG Greeting judges?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dd first meet is in two weeks....thank you....I will prepare her to answer the judges questions....not sure if we do this or not since we are newbies. thank you op and the rest of you for your responses. I feel like I learn something new everyday on this site! chalk bucket has been a blessing :)

I've always taught the kids that it's proper etiquette to present to the judge. All teams used to do it, but as gymdog stated, with the switch to MCC it's a bit of a lost tradition at many meets/for many teams.

At the coaches meeting at most big meets starting last season they were announcing that they didn't want us to do it, now this season that's pretty much caught on so no one is really doing it any more. I realize it doesn't save much time, but anyway it can get pretty crazy on floor because we don't do tumble strips and bump in at all levels including 3. So you're always in for some wild times there and it just adds another issue to the mix.

There is nothing to prepare for, its not a test. :D

By preparing her I mean I will explain that the judges might ask her team questions such as how they are feeling today and she should make eye contact and answer clearly. Her level 4 team consists of 6 and very young 7 year olds. I most likely wouldn't need to prepare a 9 year old but always best to give a heads up to a young second grader experiencing her first meet.

At the coaches meeting at most big meets starting last season they were announcing that they didn't want us to do it, now this season that's pretty much caught on so no one is really doing it any more. I realize it doesn't save much time, but anyway it can get pretty crazy on floor because we don't do tumble strips and bump in at all levels including 3. So you're always in for some wild times there and it just adds another issue to the mix.

Can someone explain what this means? Tumble strips, bump ins and then the last post about MCC? Is this mostly a compulsory thing?

Can someone explain what this means? Tumble strips, bump ins and then the last post about MCC? Is this mostly a compulsory thing?

MCC is modified capital cup (I'm assuming). It just means there are two sets of equipment so each event starts with two flights. One flight warms up and starts competing, then while they compete the second flight warms up. While the second flight competes, let's say beam, the first flight from bars starts warming up beam. In practice there's always a backup but anyway.

Usually there is only one floor and that's where my post comes in. Some states commonly have a strip of floor the length of the floor diagonal for warm ups, rather than another full floor. So the warm up flight is on there. In my state, we never have a tumble strip, and just one floor, so we warm up between routines. A girl competes, then five or so kids have like ten seconds if you're a compulsory to warm up in between. You get five turns. It gets a little crazy.

MCC is modified capital cup (I'm assuming). It just means there are two sets of equipment so each event starts with two flights. One flight warms up and starts competing, then while they compete the second flight warms up. While the second flight competes, let's say beam, the first flight from bars starts warming up beam. In practice there's always a backup but anyway.

Usually there is only one floor and that's where my post comes in. Some states commonly have a strip of floor the length of the floor diagonal for warm ups, rather than another full floor. So the warm up flight is on there. In my state, we never have a tumble strip, and just one floor, so we warm up between routines. A girl competes, then five or so kids have like ten seconds if you're a compulsory to warm up in between. You get five turns. It gets a little crazy.
We have done meets like this, they still greet the judges, really it's less then a minute and if things are backed up, it's not the time spent with the judges that are the problems.o_O

We have done meets like this, they still greet the judges, really it's less then a minute and if things are backed up, it's not the time spent with the judges that are the problems.o_O

I agree, and I don't really have a strong feeling about it, just going by what I'm told in case people were wondering why some places aren't doing it anymore.

We do it too in these parts and I always thought it was required too. By Level 10, they know mist of the girls if they are from our area, and ive heard them joke around a bit and say more personal things like "glad to see you back from x injury".

Ok. So I asked my child how she felt about it. She said it makes her feel good to see them smile, because then she knows they aren't ice princesses.
Keep in mind, she is 8.

Love this.

Though I thought kids were quite into ice princesses during this past year?
latest

Usual around here, too (reg 6). Same procedure as others have stated, less than a minute and I think the girls like it. Having trouble quoting, but earlier in the thread someone posted about a team of 6yo lv 4s. Thought you had to be 7? Or is that just in my region? Or maybe I'm mistaken.

I agree, and I don't really have a strong feeling about it, just going by what I'm told in case people were wondering why some places aren't doing it anymore.
Chiming in; In my area of the US, the last couple of larger invitationals I received the same instructions from the Meet Director at their Modified Format meets. The same as Gymdog.

Last weekend I was Meet Director for our Invitational and asked all coaches to do the same. as Gymdogs experience Format, time constraints, equipment constraints and executing by pre-arrangement (with Meet Ref & State Board) the format the L3-5's will see at our State Championship in a few weeks. The bump in FX format (5 maximum warm-up at a time) is the format teams will compete at the State Championships. No time but the present for coaches and gymnasts to get needed experience. I got to see young L3 gymnasts, who have learned to read this Fall and do round-off back-handsprings, perform well in the modified meet format. Very inspiring to an older coach like myself.

I hope I have added to the conversation.

Best wishes, SBG -

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back