WAG L8 tumbling pass question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kayjaybe

Proud Parent
What tumbling passes are required for L8 floor?

Dd is recovering from an injury and is hoping to compete a modified routine in a few weeks.

Is it possible to have a starting value of 10.0 without doing any back tumbling and no front handsprings? Basically, all hands-free tumbling? Possible passes are: Front pike-front tuck for pass 1, front layout for pass 2, and ??? for pass 3.

Or at most for hand-touching, a round-off going into a back layout but no BHS in between.

1. One Acro series w/ 2 saltos, OR 2 directly connected saltos (same or different)

2. Three different saltos within the exercise

3. Dance Passage w/ min. of 2 different Group 1 elements (directly or indirectly connected) - one a LEAP w/ 180° cross or side split

4. Min. of A salto as last salto or in last connection of saltos

I agree... and no 3rd pass needed... but if she wants a third, what about round off, whip, back layout?

She doesn't need 3 passes? Wow! So technically she could do a front-pike front-tuck for one pass and then a front layout for another? No handsprings and no roundoffs needed? I'd like to keep her off that hand altogether if at all possible.

I don't know if the coaches will allow this. They are pretty strict about our team requirements for levels, but they brought something up about changing it up to allow her to compete floor at this meet. It is a big invitational and she worked so hard to get to L8 and is so upset to miss it. She was really hoping to compete 1 event.

There is a compositional deduction for no backward skill. She'd also get a compositional deduction for "balance" if all her difficult skills are dance.

That said, these are relatively minor deductions and if she's just getting back in the swing after an injury she could do front pike + front tuck and a front layout and meet the basic requirements. Round-off BLO or round-off BT if her coaches insist on three passes.

She'd also get a compositional deduction for "balance" if all her difficult skills are dance.
I'm not challenging you, just genuinely curious. Wouldn't she only be deducted for the lack of back tumbling because a front pike and front LO are both B's? So two Bs would be dance and the other two would be tumbling.

I'm not challenging you, just genuinely curious. Wouldn't she only be deducted for the lack of back tumbling because a front pike and front LO are both B's? So two Bs would be dance and the other two would be tumbling.

I wasn't careful with my words. She will get a comp. deduction for lack of a back tumbling skill. Balance was not the best word if she has 2 B tumbles and 2 B dance skills. It's more the "up to level" deduction she might get dinged for a little, because some judges would say that a top level 8 would have three B tumbling passes, including B + B series.

Good question.

I actually stumbled across a video on youtube recently of a level 8 floor routine where the girl did the following passes:
1st: front pike front tuck
2nd: one handed round off back tuck
3rd: front tuck
I'm not sure how to link the video but the title is "Emma's Orlando City of Lights Level 8 Floor 9.375". I'm sure if you search the title you'll find it. I hope this helps :)

That is my friend's daughter. She was not allowed to tumble on her wrist so she did everything with no/one hand....she did this for several meets and did quite well!

I actually stumbled across a video on youtube recently of a level 8 floor routine where the girl did the following passes:
1st: front pike front tuck
2nd: one handed round off back tuck
3rd: front tuck
I'm not sure how to link the video but the title is "Emma's Orlando City of Lights Level 8 Floor 9.375". I'm sure if you search the title you'll find it. I hope this helps :)

Thank you so much! Yes, this was very helpful. The only tough part will be the roundoff. She injured her dominant gymnastics hand (which is different than her regular dominant hand!) so she would need to use that bad hand for the roundoff, but hopefully it wouldn't be too bad.

This makes me at least think it is possible and that if she does the routine well, she could score decently.

What about a barani or branny? My dd has described this as a no handed RO or a front half. She did it into a LO and/or full. She also did a FLO/FT. totally no handed routine.

What about a barani or branny? My dd has described this as a no handed RO or a front half. She did it into a LO and/or full. She also did a FLO/FT. totally no handed routine.

DS has been working on his barani, which does let him get into other things (he has BT out of it on floor, would love ultimately to do it into an Arabian). Don't see them much, but it's a nice skill for resting the wrists.

We had 2 9s make it to regionals on floor last year with no hand routines, so it's amazing the routines that can be designed for optionals. Obviously can be done for L8 as well. We just had a gymnast score 9.6 on L8 floor using a one arm routine.

I wish it were her good arm that was free because that would make it much easier.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see what the coaches do and what the doctor says. The cast comes off Dec 1 and the meet in question is Dec 4....so it is very up in the air.

I appreciate the responses and videos to know that it is possible...and even possible to do well!

Thank you so much! Yes, this was very helpful. The only tough part will be the roundoff. She injured her dominant gymnastics hand (which is different than her regular dominant hand!) so she would need to use that bad hand for the roundoff, but hopefully it wouldn't be too bad.

This makes me at least think it is possible and that if she does the routine well, she could score decently.
Your welcome, I'm glad I could help you :)

So tomorrow is the big day! Cast came off on Tuesday. One finger is not fully healed and she has no flexibility or strength in that hand, so here's what she settled on for her three passes:
- one-handed roundoff, back layout
- punch front pike, front tuck
- punch front pike

She also has the required leaps or dance elements as those didn't need to change from the original routine.

The coach said this routine should still have a 10.0 start value. Do you agree?

She is so excited to be able to compete something at this meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back