WAG Straps?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I dont blame you! That little bag is stinky! So please! While you are all checking those straps , wash those wristbands!!!! Please!!!! :)

straps are used by all. They are kept by the strap bar. So they never come home...

But oh yes on the wristbands!!!

We (parents) never see the straps either at our gym. I'm not sure any gymnasts have their own straps - they all share from a bin that is far removed from where any parents are permitted to be.

I'm also curious to the OP's original question - is there any way to purchase a particular size of straps (not the full set of 8 sizes)? Seems silly to fork out $50-60 for a whole set of different sizes when you may only use 1 or 2 of the sizes.

It's common here in the UK for the gymnasts to have their own straps. The coach measures them and they are bought by the parents. Pink informs me that she wears 31's

I've only ever seen red or yellow straps. When I'm training I personally use a 30.5 for Giants etc but I have a 31.5 set that I occasionally use for other moves. The little ones I coach use anything from a 24 to a 27 depending on size so you can get them to fit pretty much anyone. I can remember exactly how you measure for straps, but I think it is something like wrist measurement x2 ....

You can't really go by color because in my experience not all the suppliers have it color coded by size. Which drives me crazy and don't get me started on random jump rope colors (I want a set of jump ropes for my gym that is color coded by size but instead every size has random colors).

I don't really know of a sure fire way of measurement other than trial and error :( I would see if she can find out from the other girl what size she has and then order those.

YES , I second and third the , GETTING manufactured straps!!! I have seen kids fly off straps, using old straps or home made. Parents please check your gymnasts straps tonight to make sure they are not fraying, if so spend the money and get new ones. The alternative is a trip to the ER..... Kids should get a new pair twice a year.

why are parents allowed to be buying these tools for their kids! coaches and club owners...wake the hell up!!

Personally I'd rather the gym be responsible for purchasing, sizing, and maintaining straps. One of DS's teammates got ahold of an old pair over the summer and did his first one-armed giant as a result, badly bruising his hip on the trench bar side in the process. The very next day, three separate coaches checked every strap in the gym and had conversations with the gymnasts about making sure they were using the right size.

Personally I'd rather the gym be responsible for purchasing, sizing, and maintaining straps. One of DS's teammates got ahold of an old pair over the summer and did his first one-armed giant as a result, badly bruising his hip on the trench bar side in the process. The very next day, three separate coaches checked every strap in the gym and had conversations with the gymnasts about making sure they were using the right size.

I couldn't agree more! I have no idea waht I would be looking for, so I am so glad the gym does it for me!

why are parents allowed to be buying these tools for their kids! coaches and club owners...wake the hell up!!
It's not really a matter of allowed. It's a matter of the gym isn't meeting a need of my DD and I would like to bridge the gap. I was unable to get hands on the girls straps to measure anyway, so I won't be buying. My DD will mostly be left out of strap bar rotations.

[
It's just a proven fact of life, people take better care of what they own. Imagine if you were a rock climber and you had to use ropes and straps that were provided for you in a box,, all of which you had no idea how old they were. Sounds crazy when you put it that way huh? This is no different..
In the old days we kept our straps in a big box, but after years of learning that kids will just put them back in with damage. We wised up and mandated that the kids buy straps and put names on them. The office sells them at cost and since this transition we have had zero problems. I certainly wouldn't expect the kids to share grips either..... The only thing we ask is that they replace them regularly and I personally check them every few months and remind the kids to check them as well. You guys would be shocked to learn how old some of the straps are that are in those boxes! So to each his/her own, but this is a critical piece of equipment and should be replaced regularly and cared for, not thrown in a box wet or after a pop is heard, so others can use them....

[
It's just a proven fact of life, people take better care of what they own. Imagine if you were a rock climber and you had to use ropes and straps that were provided for you in a box,, all of which you had no idea how old they were. Sounds crazy when you put it that way huh? This is no different..
In the old days we kept our straps in a big box, but after years of learning that kids will just put them back in with damage. We wised up and mandated that the kids buy straps and put names on them. The office sells them at cost and since this transition we have had zero problems. I certainly wouldn't expect the kids to share grips either..... The only thing we ask is that they replace them regularly and I personally check them every few months and remind the kids to check them as well. You guys would be shocked to learn how old some of the straps are that are in those boxes! So to each his/her own, but this is a critical piece of equipment and should be replaced regularly and cared for, not thrown in a box wet or after a pop is heard, so others can use them....

But isn't it the gym and coach responsibility to regularly inspect all equipment for damage?

But isn't it the gym and coach responsibility to regularly inspect all equipment for damage?
of course! Anyways, my point was that having your child with his/her own set of straps is not a bad thing at all. So long as they care and replace them. Same goes for the gym.

I would happily purchase a pair of straps in my kid's correct size if offered at cost at the gym. I like that model. In our current model, there is a bucket of straps, and apparently not enough of the sizes to go around, so time is wasted hunting for/sharing straps.

I like the idea of the buying at cost from the gym idea and making sure that my child always has correctly fitted good condition straps.
Never gave them a moments thought before this thread but I have no idea how often they are replaced at gym - never had a child come home and mention there are new ones.
They all look the same manky grey from across the floor (I think , never really looked)

Out coaches measure and we buy out own from the office I think we pay about £5'a pair everyone has their own no one shares

A sort of related question...is there a particular kind of wristband they need for strap bar? Little bit has just started doing work on the strap bar and the gym supplies the straps... Thank goodness. She does however need personal wristbands. She's 6 (7 in a couple of months). Is there particular brand or size we should be looking for?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back