WAG Level 7 bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cassafrass

Proud Parent
I am looking for a video of a bar routine with giant free hip giant combo. After 2 years of level 6 my DD hits her feet on the mat after free hip on low bar. Also, her cast HS is not vertical. In order to help with these deductions, she is experimenting with an immediate squat on and only one cast HS on high bar. I am curious for opinions on competing that combo and/or a video. Thank you!

Thank you for the video, she did a nice job! I am looking specifically for the giant free hip giant combo with the giant first. My DD says she has trouble starting with the free hip because her cast HS isn't great. Somehow she can get the giant from the sub par cast although I don't know how. Meanwhile she is still working those CHS!

Thank you for the video, she did a nice job! I am looking specifically for the giant free hip giant combo with the giant first. My DD says she has trouble starting with the free hip because her cast HS isn't great. Somehow she can get the giant from the sub par cast although I don't know how. Meanwhile she is still working those CHS!

Dd has practiced that a time or two but I don't think I got it on video. Good luck to your daughter this season.

At State last season, mine did a kip cast squat on (low bar) then a kip cast to HS, free hip to HS, giant and flyaway. Don't think I have seen one at level 7 where they do a giant first then free hip then giant. I would be curious to see that one.

Yes! I am hoping to see that combo in a routine. I didn't realize only one giant as you described would fulfill requirements. I think my DDs layout is pretty good from the giant so maybe that is why she is playing with that combo. Thanks!

Glad to help! I think one giant fulfills the requirement at level 7 but not at level 8. DD's coach decided that it would lessen deductions if she did one giant instead of 2. I didn't check out this gymnast's other videos, but there may be another video of her doing a whole routine with this combination.

I was going to recommend that she does her free hip on the low bar until I went back and re-read your original post. I have never seen the combo you are looking for. I hope you can find someone who has a video of a full routine. What does your DD's coach say? Is that what they are hoping she will compete?

Here's a level 8 routine with that combo (starts around 20 sec). I'll keep looking to see if I can find one in a level 7 routine.
I don't think there's anything wrong with competing this combo if she's stronger with it. It would fulfill all requirements and can be progressive. She could use it again in level 8, and in level 9 I believe she could get a connection bonus if she were to leave out the second giant and go into her dismount from a CH HS.

When my dd was in old level 7, her coach had all the girls do giant, clearhip, dismount. He wanted to minimize the cast handstands because they often got deducted. It also helped the girls who were having a hard time learning to dismount from a giant since the clear hip slowed them down and made the timing easier. They scored really well. My dd got at least a couple 1st on ub and team won states.

We had a girl in our area compete this routine last season at level seven. Squat jump kip cast HS giant clear hip giant layout flyaway. Sorry I don't think she has a YouTube channel. But, she did very well with it. She even scored above a 9.7 at one meet.

Would the above routine minus the last giant fulfill the level 7 requirements? My DD is now telling me I had it wrong and her problem is actually getting to the giant from the freehip. So she is actually practicing her layout from the freehip. My bad!

Would the above routine minus the last giant fulfill the level 7 requirements? My DD is now telling me I had it wrong and her problem is actually getting to the giant from the freehip. So she is actually practicing her layout from the freehip. My bad!

I *believe* that you have to have 2 circling elements.

SOOOO...
If you do a free hip on the low bar you have to do 2 giants on the high bar

If you do a free hip to handstand on the high bar, you only have to have 1 giant

OR you can do a free hip on the low bar and a free hip to handstand on the high bar with no giant

I hope that I am not leading you in the wrong direction!

Not sure that's right. At the beginning of her level 7 season, DD had a free hip on the low bar and still only had to do one giant on the high bar ( her routine was kip cast , FH, kip, squat on, high bar kip cast giant then flyaway. She scored in the low to mid-9's). I think it's 2 circling elements total (low and high), not 2 on the high bar.

Yes, my dd also did clear hip on low bar and one giant on high bar in level 7. Highest score over 9.6.

The rule is two circling element, one of which must be a stalder, clear hip or toe on. You can do two of these circles or one of them and then one or two giants. Giants aren't required at all.

So your dd can totally fly away out of her clear hip. No problem.

I don't think the routine I am thinking of has enough skills. It would be Kip, immediate squat on jump to high bar, Kip, cast giant free hip, flyaway

I don't think the routine I am thinking of has enough skills. It would be Kip, immediate squat on jump to high bar, Kip, cast giant free hip, flyaway
This routine has exactly enough skills as long as the high bar cast is to handstand(or within 20 degrees). Otherwise it will be short one "A" skill and start from a 9.9.

When my dd was in old level 7, her coach had all the girls do giant, clearhip, dismount. He wanted to minimize the cast handstands because they often got deducted. It also helped the girls who were having a hard time learning to dismount from a giant since the clear hip slowed them down and made the timing easier. They scored really well. My dd got at least a couple 1st on ub and team won states.

Yeah - our gym likes to minimize casting when all possible too. Our level 7's that are able to do all their circling on the high bar w/ some form of giant clear hip combo do that instead because it creates a routine w/ only one cast (most do the clear hip before the giant though).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back