WAG Beam CW deduction question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
For anyone who knows:
My DD has a habit of taking a moment to set her feet before doing her cartwheel. the setup doesn't always look so fluid, but when she does this, she stays on the beam.
I can only see so much at meets from where I sit (mandated to the opposite side of the gym, per her instructions), but she mentioned the other night that coach is getting on her case about the "stepping" before her cartwheel.
No, she doesn't take real steps, I think it's multiple placements of her foot before she feels she's "set" to do it.
She said that coach told her it's deductions.
If she re-places her foot a couple of times before moving forward with the cartwheel, does anyone know the deductions for this?

I looked at her level 4 videos, and all I see are "pointing front toe to beam, then placing the heel down, then doing the carthwheel". So I think these little re-placements are since falling off the beam and developing a huge beam fear. It's her fear-hesitation...

I am not sure about this in terms of the cartwheel, but my dd's coaches were on her about it for awhile because she would reset, so to speak a few times before she would do her bwo on beam...for the same eeason. The coaches got her out of it slowly, but it did take time.

Of course those are deductions. But as a coach I would look at it overall and determine whether the child was mentally and physically capable of making the correction that situation (beam height for ex). If not we might need attempting or landing the cartwheel to be the goal.

No matter what decision I made, I would likely inform the child about the deduction so they are aware and can start to make the necessary changes when they're ready.

I'm confused... you don't want those errors corrected by the coach?

Because this error seems to be fear related and saves her from a fall (the deduction for the hesitation and "taps" is less than a fall deduction, the coach may decide that informing her will allow her to gradually fix it when she is ready.
If the coach presses her to stop doing this, the fear monster may grow larger (I have seen it happen). She will get past it on her own time.

Well, I agree sometimes you have to take what you can get but I'm also not exactly sure what the OP was looking for (to prove the coach wrong)? "the coach told her it's a deduction" doesn't seem particularly out of line. As I noted, I would do the same thing, although how much I attempted to "fix" it would really depend on the kid and the situation.

I don't have any kids that do what's described (multiple foot placements) and I can't really make sense of that, so yes, I'm sure it would bother me. I teach a kick into a lunge lever so it wouldn't be possible to move the foot prior to placing the hands. They are on one foot. If a child was unable to lunge lever then they would definitely be back on drills and low beam. I would consider that an issue worth fixing at least in terms of their mental cues.

But, for the record, basically if it isn't picture perfect execution it is a deduction. Even standing in perfect posture for more than a second or two before throwing an element is a deduction. If it isn't part of the compulsory routine, it's a deduction. This would be "lack of sureness" and possible also a balance error.

I would say that the majority of errors kids make in this sport go back to fear -- but we still correct them. They are much harder to correct if they have gone uncorrected for months or years, so I would not want my gymnast to be allowed to form a bad habit over fear. Teaching them when to think, when not to and when to breath before a beam skill (instead of the nervous fidgets) is all part of coaching beam.

Well, I agree sometimes you have to take what you can get but I'm also not exactly sure what the OP was looking for (to prove the coach wrong)? "the coach told her it's a deduction" doesn't seem particularly out of line. As I noted, I would do the same thing, although how much I attempted to "fix" it would really depend on the kid and the situation.

But, for the record, basically if it isn't picture perfect execution it is a deduction. Even standing in perfect posture for more than a second or two before throwing an element is a deduction. If it isn't part of the compulsory routine, it's a deduction. This would be "lack of sureness" and possible also a balance error.

No, she doesn't take real steps, I think it's multiple placements of her foot before she feels she's "set" to do it.
She said that coach told her it's deductions.
If she re-places her foot a couple of times before moving forward with the cartwheel, does anyone know the deductions for this?

I was just wondering how much.
I trust this coach explicitly where her fear on beam is concerned. (it started in August after a fall). This coach has done wonders for DD.
By DD's reaction to what was said, I am guessing it was said lightly "Those feet moving are deductions. We need to work on that". That type of thing, and with care.
It's in a L6 beam routine that the BWO was taken out of because of the fear and replaced with a handstand until she gets it back (she's up to 2/3 height on the crank beam, and very proud of herself that it's getting up there, so she's coming along).

She's got a private with with a specific coach who just might be able to get her past this tomorrow. (same coach who fixed a thing or two and got her to land her cartwheel). So my curiosity about the deductions might be all for naught. Hopefully!

She could be getting a lot of deductions depending on the severity of the "reset". Up to .3 for balance, up to .2 for unsureness, .1 for lack of coordination. I doubt she would lose all those points for that one skill...probably up to .3 depending on how badly it sticks out.

She could be getting a lot of deductions depending on the severity of the "reset". Up to .3 for balance, up to .2 for unsureness, .1 for lack of coordination. I doubt she would lose all those points for that one skill...probably up to .3 depending on how badly it sticks out.

Thanks!
If it's anything like I saw in a private last night, between the cartwheel, the handstand, and the full turn, even if she DOES them, I'm seeing a high of about 7.0 at the practice meet on Saturday. At least there's a full 6 weeks after that before the first real meet. A lot can happen in 6 weeks, with the right coaching. (at least that's what I keep telling myself! LOL!)

Wait, if she has a handstand in level 6, she doesn't even need the cartwheel. Why take the extra deductions on an unneeded skill?

Wait, if she has a handstand in level 6, she doesn't even need the cartwheel. Why take the extra deductions on an unneeded skill?
Her handstand is replacing her BWO.
Oddly, she is less scared of the cartwheel than she now is of the handstand. Last night she would bend her front leg so much her chest almost hit her knee before she would go for the handstand.
It's very heartbreaking to watch, as last April she got an 8.925 on her L5 scoreout beam routine. Not perfect, but she executed all the skills (BWO, HS, full turn) without much "real" hesitation.
Fear sucks.

Oddly, she is less scared of the cartwheel than she now is of the handstand. Last night she would bend her front leg so much her chest almost hit her knee before she would go for the handstand.
It's very heartbreaking to watch, as last April she got an 8.925 on her L5 scoreout beam routine. Not perfect, but she executed all the skills (BWO, HS, full turn) without much "real" hesitation.
Fear sucks.
Yes it does. I hope she is able to gain more confidence soon...at least she still has some time!!!

Fear sucks.
Yes fear does suck. OG has the same type of issues.
My point about the handstand is that only ONE acro is required at Level 6. She could do either the cartwheel OR the handstand and meet the requirements. If she struggles with both, it would be better to leave one out while she works thru the fear.

Yes fear does suck. OG has the same type of issues.
My point about the handstand is that only ONE acro is required at Level 6. She could do either the cartwheel OR the handstand and meet the requirements. If she struggles with both, it would be better to leave one out while she works thru the fear.

I did not realize that.
What qualifies for a B skill? I was under the impression they needed 1 B?

(either way, last night they took the handstand out too. I joked "At this rate she should just run across the beam and jump off". )

I did not realize that qualifies for a B skill? I was under the impression they needed 1 B?

(either way, last night they took the handstand out too. I joked "At this rate she should just run across the beam and jump off". )
Cartwheel = A
Handstand = A
Back walkover = A
Back handspring = B
Round off = B
Split jump = B
Pike jump = B
Jump 1/2 = B
Scale on toe = B
There are lots of B possibilities :)
Roundoff

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!