WAG Lvl 2 bars deduction

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ErinEclectic

Proud Parent
DD had an in house meet recently and her coaches had her do a straddle dismount. She got a deduction and is now working a pike dismount to get ready for her next meet. But I was just curious as to what the deduction for that would have been?

For a level 2 bar dismount, there could be many deductions. The dismount is: cast, squat-on, pike sole circle or cast, underswing. Both elements are worth 0.60
If she substituted the dismount with a straddle, her deduction would be double the value of the element. 1.2 is deducted plus any other faults-bent arms, legs etc.

Deduction is .2 "placing feet outside of hands" this is one of the specific deductions listed under the major element. It wouldn't be twice the value of the element. So it isn't a real big deduction if the compulsory code is properly applied. There are a lot of other deductions one could get on the dismount of course.

I'm fairly certain you used to be able to do a straddle. I don't teach level 2, so I had to go to the compulsory code to look this up but it is pike only now, or maybe it always was and I'm just confused. Anyway. I find it a bit curious myself why the committee decided they wouldn't allow the straddle but oh well. When teaching sole circles, straddle is always safer (possibility of the child doing an accidental stoop through or skin the cat with feet inside). I mean I know most of them will peel off at the bottom anyway but just in case. Coaches - when teaching any of these type of "foot on" skills with a pike, particularly to gymnasts at this level, always use the lowest bar/highest mats possible for the size of the child to minimize potential for injury.

gymdog - I'm pretty sure in the 2005-2012 code, the level 2 routine had a straddle dismount. With the level numbering shifting, now level 1 does a straddle dismount and level 2 does the pike (or under swing).

gymdog - I'm pretty sure in the 2005-2012 code, the level 2 routine had a straddle dismount. With the level numbering shifting, now level 1 does a straddle dismount and level 2 does the pike (or under swing).

Oh, good point - I forgot about level 1. We don't really have level 1 or 2 competition in my state but rather Xcel bronze so everything is a little bit different.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back