Parents Any parents done meets at ESPN World of Sports at Disney?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We went to the Presidential classic last year. We had a great time but its costly. Although we flew so that adds up and we rented a car for the week.

We just made a vacation out of it. We got there early enough we didn't have to worry about much. We stayed at the Mystic Dunes resort which is great. You are basically about 2 blocks from WWS.

Some tips about the venue:

Make sure you register your athlete before hand. This will cut down on huge lines on the day of.

If you get a shirt or leo try to find a good time to go, waiting there can be awhile. (it was right next to awards so its always kinda busy.)

We did the photo so that was really neat. If you do that make sure its right after awards and quickly. Otherwise you will be waiting in that line.

Overall its a great place. We had a great time. We did also drive to Cocoa Beach which is pretty close to ORL. Although make sure if you do drive or rent a car bring quarters as there are toll roads there.

If you are taking the family to go to the parks check the weekend before you make plans. Presidents day weekend (Presidential classic, huge meet!) the parks are incredibly crowded. It really isn't worth your money to go to the parks that weekend. Also Disney recently changed their pricing to make tickets most expensive during the busiest times.

For those that rented cars, did you pick them up at MCO or rent at a location closer to Disney? We're doing the Presidential Classic this winter and I know I'll need a vehicle down there.

Other than admission, food, and souvenir money, are there any other unexpected expenses at this meet? We've done Disney a bajillion times so I realize how expensive everything is.

We rented a condo and cooked there to save money on food. The admission to the meet was the biggest surprise to me. Souvenir money I control..so if I didn't like the price, D didn't get it ;) We are going to Presidential this year too...can't wait.

Some tips about the venue:

Make sure you register your athlete before hand. This will cut down on huge lines on the day of.

What do you mean by "register your gymnast"? Doesn't the coach do that along with the entry?

We are going for the first time this year and we have always been told by coaches to never contact the venue or the host gym and coaches will take care of everything that has to do with entries. But is "registration different" thank you.

Yes. At this meet, you have to register to get into the venue. So you go a day before, and basically just sign in saying that your gymnast is there, and they get a pass. You can go ahead and get your entry then as well, if you wish. ($25 per person last time I went)

I am looking for advice from families who have done it.
Cost effective tips?
Convenience tips?
I am having a little sticker shock (we are a bigger family and my non-WAG gymmies all want to go to Florida with us, understandably)

We went last year (Presidential Classic).

Are you going in 2016? If yes, have you already booked air or will you be driving?

We booked as soon as the meet schedule came out in August otherwise airfare gets crazy. Instead it was only moderately crazy lol.

We stayed at one of the host hotels (Caribbean Beach) though another host hotel was All Star Sports.

You def need to plan ahead in terms of Fast Passes and dining reservations. It doesn't save you money but saves your sanity.

If you bring the family, I prob wouldn't have them go to the actual meet. Entry fee was expensive (maybe $20/25/).

The girls had a blast traveling together. Def worth doing once. Our gym only does these meets every 2-3 years.

Good luck!

We r going this year for our first time. We are thinking about staying OFF Disney property. Has anyone done this before? Pros? Cons??
We r trying to make this trip as cost effective as possible.

We always stay off property. Less expensive, and more for your money. I can't think of any cons.....

We did. I don't remember really bad traffic. Parking at the meet was tough, but we just went early. We went to Universal as well, so staying off property gave us more freedom. We had a full kitchen, so we made all breakfasts/lunches, and most dinners there.

The first time we went, we rented a house which for our arrangement was much better than staying on property. Cheaper and better accommodations, more space, etc.

The second time, we are staying in a stand alone hotel close to Universal because that's where we want to go post-competition. But I will confess that I am NOT a fan of disney in general so my opinion is skewed anti-D.

The first time we went, we rented a house which for our arrangement was much better than staying on property. Cheaper and better accommodations, more space, etc.

The second time, we are staying in a stand alone hotel close to Universal because that's where we want to go post-competition. But I will confess that I am NOT a fan of disney in general so my opinion is skewed anti-D.

I'm not a Disney fan either. I've not been there, but I have no urge. So, "doing Disney" is not on the agenda.

The parks aren't as crowded as other times of the year!

Then I can't imagine how they are during regular season. When we went, it was still too crowded to enjoy. A line for every single thing and no way to see the parade after Disney would let us sit "by the trashcan".

What do you mean by "register your gymnast"? Doesn't the coach do that along with the entry?

We are going for the first time this year and we have always been told by coaches to never contact the venue or the host gym and coaches will take care of everything that has to do with entries. But is "registration different" thank you.
Yeah for most meets. But at this s meet there is a tent outside near the front of wws. When u register that is where you get your free item. I'd double check with your gym. But it seemed like everyone had to go to register or "sign in"

Gymnasts here register for each meet when they arrive. They get their number, gift, and its like attendance so once all gymnasts have registered they can call them for march in if they are running early.

It was the same for us at Sand Dollar at ESPN.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back