WAG First real injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Had her 2 week checkup today. Doc pushed off taking the cast off to the week after Thanksgiving instead of the week before. Of course, she was devestated.

He said he could have put her in a splint today but it would have been very risky and really wouldn't have helped her healing in the long run. (Then why bring it up, doc?!?)

So, hopefully in 2 weeks she'll be moved to the splint and can start PT. He said if he had taken it off today, he couldn't even have her start PT, so there was really no upside to removing it. Still, she is very upset and angry at the doc and at me for not letting her get the cast off.

On a good note, he said she could start doing more at practice - even some light tumbling (nothing using the hand --- but she could work on her front series w/o the handspring). Of course, this isn't cheering up my little "glass is half empty" girl. :(

Im so sorry the cast removal was delayed :( I know mine would have been devastated :( That is so hard. It seems SO long when your in the middle of it. We are now 7 weeks out of the cast and in so many ways it now seems so long ago. There are still rough spots and struggles and grip strength still lacking and she "rips" on that hand and skin peels off almost every night b/c the skin got "un-tough" ( if that is a word, LOL) but she has almost all skills back and is ready to compete the first meet this Sat! Overall I have been very very pleased with her rehab. I just say that to let you know that there is light at the end of tunnel. Just try to keep her positive and focused and it will be over faster than you think.

Cast came off today!!!

One finger is fully healed. Other finger is about 80%. She has a splint on the one that isn't quite done healing, but doc only wants her wearing that at school & gym. Otherwise, she should be out of the splint and working on mobility.

Need to find an occupational therapist that specializes in hands to start working her back.

He said she can continue to do the no-handed and 1-handed tumbling she has been doing.....so.....she should be able to compete floor at the NY meet on Friday!!! She is SO happy.

I am so happy to hear that your dd will be able to attend the meet! She must be so excited. When my dd broke her foot at the beginning of the season at new gym, her first L9 year, it was a huge bummer but ultimately she came back super motivated to compete because she missed so much. She had to petition into regionals but ended up doing great. It sounds like your dd will be back to full competition earlier than spring, so at least she will be back in full swing for the big meets at the end of the season! Good luck in NY!

Cast came off today!!!

One finger is fully healed. Other finger is about 80%. She has a splint on the one that isn't quite done healing, but doc only wants her wearing that at school & gym. Otherwise, she should be out of the splint and working on mobility.

Need to find an occupational therapist that specializes in hands to start working her back.

He said she can continue to do the no-handed and 1-handed tumbling she has been doing.....so.....she should be able to compete floor at the NY meet on Friday!!! She is SO happy.
That's great news!

Update!
It has been just over 2 months since the injury. She has been faithfully doing her PT at appointments and at home for about 5 weeks and it has paid off! Bones are fully healed. She has 95%+ mobility in her fingers. She still needs to get some strength back.

Her doc released her from PT and also released her to do all training as she can tolerate it (I.e. Maybe don't try giants your first day back)

Unfortunately, she hyper-extended her knee last week in practice so she is going to completely sit out her meet this weekend. Floor was the only event she was prepared on and that is the thing that aggravates it the most. She will rest up and hopefully get some events back for a late Jan. meet and then hopefully back in full swing in Feb for 2 meets before states.

I'm on the same boat you were. I just fractured my wrist on beam Tuesday. This is also my first major injury. I have also gone through so many fears and made it through without hurting myself. And now on something that I wasn't even scared as I fractured my wrist. I will be missing our biggest meet, next to state. I go to the ortho on Friday.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back