WAG I think I'm turning into a CGM

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I asked the coach why Susie is allowed. Her reasoning is that because she asked. And if Susie didn't asked, this program would not exists. And that Susie started late in gymnastics. :(

So, Susie is 12 and the impetus that got the program put into place.
She should be in it. As a 12 year old, she doesnt have as many years left in the sport.
She may be uptraining in an effort to fast track an older gymnast to optionals... or to prepare for junior high or high school gymnastics.
Your daughter is only 8 but she has probably been in gymnastics longer than the 12 year old. She will get her turn.
Just be patient and enjoy the ride

So, Susie is 12 and the impetus that got the program put into place.
She should be in it. As a 12 year old, she doesnt have as many years left in the sport.
She may be uptraining in an effort to fast track an older gymnast to optionals... or to prepare for junior high or high school gymnastics.
Your daughter is only 8 but she has probably been in gymnastics longer than the 12 year old. She will get her turn.
Just be patient and enjoy the ride

I am soaking it all in. I take this as gymnastics growing pain :) and I'm sure it won't be the last.

My dd and I will be okay. I have to support her and be there for her even more. Thank goodness she still love this sport and still have fun doing it. She loves her gym and the coaches.

And there could be extenuating circumstances.....maybe the time is better? I know we have had boys do that from time to time....just because the time of one practice interfered with other things.

And there could be extenuating circumstances.....maybe the time is better? I know we have had boys do that from time to time....just because the time of one practice interfered with other things.

No conflict with practice time. It's an extra practice that anyone can be a part of if they earned it.

My mistake. I thought if they hit 35 they just moved to optional practices...but it is just for 1 extra practice a week?

My mistake. I thought if they hit 35 they just moved to optional practices...but it is just for 1 extra practice a week?

Yes, they get to do up skills and uptraining with the optionals and With built in stretch class. And also work with their current level skills and routine

You probably don't have the whole picture and why should you, the other girl is not your child. I'm not sure what your gymnastic experience is but maybe you just don't see enough to truly know where the girls are at. The coaches do.

You either trust the gym or you don't.

If you trust them then trust they are giving the gymmies what they need and that includes your daughter.

If you don't trust them find a place you do and then trust that that place is giving the gymmies what they need including your daughter.

Did you ask if your DD can participate in the extra class? What did they say? You seem to know why the 12 year old was given the green light so hopefully you also received some insight on why your DD wasn't extended the same offer.

Did you ask if your DD can participate in the extra class? What did they say? You seem to know why the 12 year old was given the green light so hopefully you also received some insight on why your DD wasn't extended the same offer.

As I said in my previous post, my dd is not allowed because there is a requirement of getting a 35aa. And the reason why Susie is put in that group is that she asked and the reason why they have it. Even though Susie didn't really earned the spot by getting a 35.

I'm over it now, after all the advices I got from here, I felt better knowing that this is just another hiccup. It's feeling of unfairness and exception for one kid that was kinda giving me a bitterness. But it's all good :) my dd will get to where she needs to be because she's a hard worker and loves this sport.

these kinds of things happen all the time at dd gym. parents either accept the coaches decisions or they send their dd to another gym. I have only been on this gym train for a short ride but I am realizing quickly to worry about only my daughter and her progresses and trust her coaches since they are the experts.

Sounds like they don't think your DD is ready yet. And it also sounds like they think Susie is ready. The 35aa thing might be a way to "weed out" lower scoring kids who may not be ready for the up training. But as with most things in life (and especially gymnastics!) it is not always black & white. Susie and your DD may look similar in your eyes but Susie may be a little further along in something you aren't aware of. Maybe it's safer for Susie to do the up-training. Maybe Susie plans to move to Xcel after the season so it doesn't really matter if she starts up training without a certain level of precision/form on current skills. You really don't and shouldn't know the full story.

Sounds like they don't think your DD is ready yet. And it also sounds like they think Susie is ready. The 35aa thing might be a way to "weed out" lower scoring kids who may not be ready for the up training. But as with most things in life (and especially gymnastics!) it is not always black & white. Susie and your DD may look similar in your eyes but Susie may be a little further along in something you aren't aware of. Maybe it's safer for Susie to do the up-training. Maybe Susie plans to move to Xcel after the season so it doesn't really matter if she starts up training without a certain level of precision/form on current skills. You really don't and shouldn't know the full story.

Maybe that is the case and I have no problem with that. I just wished it was handled differently instead of keeping it a hush hush after requirement info was sent out to parents. Btw, my daughter and Susie are scoring the same. Just different age group.

these kinds of things happen all the time at dd gym. parents either accept the coaches decisions or they send their dd to another gym. I have only been on this gym train for a short ride but I am realizing quickly to worry about only my daughter and her progresses and trust her coaches since they are the experts.
THIS.
I am so glad you got enough info to feel better, but yes it does happen all the time. I feel everyone has their reasons for everything. Now if the other girl in question was the exact same age as your child, it would be a whole different story. I personally feel it is great that your gym is giving this girl a chance, because 12 is the magic year and not in a good way all the time...o_O....I know if my daughter was 12 and got this opportunity I would be very grateful as a parent.

My guess is that since Susie is older and just starting gymnastics they are trying to speed up her training a bit. So when she asked to train with the higher group one day a week, they agreed. But they either realized everyone else on the team would also want to do the same or they actually had others ask to do so also and they didn't want to have the entire team adding an extra day. Either way, they probably saw what was/would happen so they came up with a minimum score to limit the number of gymnasts doing so. I can see why it doesn't seem fair, but I agree with the others that it isn't worth getting upset with. Maybe your dd will make the minimum score at her next meet and she'll be right there with them!

THIS.
I am so glad you got enough info to feel better, but yes it does happen all the time. I feel everyone has their reasons for everything. Now if the other girl in question was the exact same age as your child, it would be a whole different story. I personally feel it is great that your gym is giving this girl a chance, because 12 is the magic year and not in a good way all the time...o_O....I know if my daughter was 12 and got this opportunity I would be very grateful as a parent.

I guess I didn't really look at the whole situation. I got too caught up on the gym exception for Susie. And yes, if my daughter is 12 and given this opportunity, I would take it as well.

I have always worked hard for the things I have, Never handed out, and that is what I'm teaching my kids as well. I expected the same for others and shouldn't have.

Maybe that is the case and I have no problem with that. I just wished it was handled differently instead of keeping it a hush hush after requirement info was sent out to parents. Btw, my daughter and Susie are scoring the same. Just different age group.
No offense and not sounding snarky at all, but there really is no good way to handle it in these situations. There will always be children who are upset, grownups who are bitter (not saying you are one of those!), and people who question the coaches' decisions. I think that is just human nature. And it is really impressive that your daughter is doing so well for such a young age; try and focus on that. At least the girls don't do the extra practice when your daughter is there. :)

May I provide the perspective from the older child? My DD is 12 and was at a gym with very rigid requirements for moving up, group placement and uptraining. Because they won't even consider an exception, my DD would have repeated L4 this year. But because she is older, that would mean she wouldn't be in a position to make a high school team the year after this, pretty much eliminating her from competing and forced to leave the sport. She really needs to be into optionals before the end of 8th grade to be considered for a high school team. So we actually changed to a gym that has a less-strict program that will let her get to the level she needs to be if she wants to compete in high school. She still may not be good enough, but at least she won't be automatically eliminated from consideration.

I guess I didn't really look at the whole situation. I got too caught up on the gym exception for Susie. And yes, if my daughter is 12 and given this opportunity, I would take it as well.

I have always worked hard for the things I have, Never handed out, and that is what I'm teaching my kids as well. I expected the same for others and shouldn't have.
I have also...but unfortunately life isn't always fair, and in some cases, imho, it shouldn't be. It is just so hard when it is our kid that gets the rougher part of the bargain; I swear it hurts us more than it hurts them. We too have an older girl that has been given an opportunity at my dd's gym, and I am so glad for her....her time is limited in the sport as it is, so it will be nice she can have a bit of joy before being done and moving on...and yes, some parents grumbled, but once they understood why, they left it alone and got it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back