Back pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Scotsgirl

Proud Parent
I have posted in another forum about my dd suffering from back pain for around a week at gym but not constant , does anyone have any experience with this please ? she is nearly 8 and her hours have increased her coach is having a word with hc to see if she needs physio . She is ok and only has back pain at gym certain conditioning definately with bwo and bridges . In America they seem to be able to take their kids straight away to an ortho etc but here in Scotland it would be a wait for an appointment ? any advice please and thankyou ?

When I took my daughter in for back pain after she landed front tumbling and tweaked her back (she had no pain with hyper extension), he wasn't overly concerned and said to give it 2 weeks of rest and then we'd see. BUT, he said if her back had hurt with hyper extension (bwo, bridges, etc) that he would have done a workup. This was a pediatric ortho that specializes in back issues. Seems back pain with hyper extension is always something to check out. I've seen here on the CB many young kids get diagnosed with back fractures. I'd get her seen by physician if you can and have her stop anything that hurts.

Oops, sorry, I'm not in the UK, didn't see where you had posted it. No advice on how it works there with referrals.

would this make her have to quit if it was something like a fractue ? jeezo Im a bit worried about it to be honest not just about gym I mean in general about it , I cant just take her to an ortho so it would be a wait to get her checked properly , Her coach knows she is in pain and did give her something else to do instead of bwo etc will be interesting tomorrow night what they say , I told her to completely rest for tonight and at gym tomorrow listen to your body if it hurts stop and say , thanks again

Many girls heal fully from back fractures if they are caught early and treated correctly. For now, I'd just made sure she does nothing that hurts and get an appointment with GP to see if they will refer her. Try not to worry too much right now.

My DD had back pain, we are UK and the doctor we saw had been a gymnast and took her seriously (she was 7 and had grade 14 looming). She saw a physio and wasn't allowed to do any BWO, bridging etc whilst doing some back strengthening exercises for 2 months possibly 3 I can't exactly remember. She had a repeat of the problem a year later and we instantly stopped her doing BWO etc and also box splits as this hurt too. In hindsight the number of reps of bridge kickover, BWO, ticktock and second time round BWO on beam were the issue, the gym was a repeat, repeat repeat ad infinitum place. My DD definitely compensates for (lack of) shoulder flexibility with lower back. The physio said as much, I just didn't "get" it until reading more about it on here.
My DD waited 4 months for an MRI (and results) for another injury which has ended WAG for her so if you don't have private health care you are likely to be in for a long wait. Apparently my DD was fast-tracked!!!
Good luck, I think limiting her extensions is a good idea. Also check her shoulder flexibility and have her work on it if it is less than optimum.

DD had had several occurrences of back pain (various reasons) and yes, definitely not worth waiting for NHS appointment if you're worried.

Luckily we've got a fab private sports therapist locally who can see DD same day normally if needed, and to be honest, paying £30 per appointment for the reassurance is completely worth it in my opinion. DD has see n her both post injury as well as working on other flexibility issues too, and she really has worked wonders.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back