WAG Getting a stronger block (or any block)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

azara

Coach
Gymnast
Hi everyone!

I'm new the forum and a teenage gymnast. I've been lurking for a while, but never actually joined until recently. I'm about level 3 and have been having some real issues improving my block - but only going forwards (never tried backwards). In round offs and cartwheels, I'm absolutely fine. But if I'm not twisting my body, and going down forwards, I can't get my hands to leave the floor. Not even a handstand hop! I've heard that it's like shrugging your shoulders, which I understand because I can do it on round offs. It's becoming an issue because I'm learning front handsprings and need a block for vaulting. Any tips/exercises for to learn one?

Thanks all!

Seems like a simple question, but the answer is quite complex.

One of my old coaches phrased it like this: block isn't something you do; it's something that happens when you do everything else correctly. If your shoulders are extended and your body is tight and you hit at the right angle at the right speed, block will occur as a result. It's difficult to give a specific correction or set of drills without seeing what you're doing for myself.

That said, here's what general advice I can give you:

Regarding strength drills for blocking: handstands, handstands, and more handstands. Any and every handstand variation you can think of. Free standing, back against a wall, belly against a wall, walking (especially in the direction of your belly while you're upside-down), shoulder tappers, anything you can think of that involves you spending time inverted while supported on your hands. Just make sure your body is tight and your shoulders are pushed up as tall as possible.

Regarding handstand pops on floor: my personal (and probably unpopular) opinion is that this drill as commonly done is more of a gimmick than an actual effective training device. In my opinion, the only way for these to actually be effective is to try to hop backwards. When you do a handstand pop, you should hit the floor somewhere between 30 and 40 degrees below vertical, and try to push the floor down and forward with your hands; if you do it right, the result is that after a brief moment of airtime, your hands will land slightly behind where they first contacted the floor, with your body somewhere around vertical in a handstand. Doing this properly is extremely difficult; the handspring vault itself is easier than the drill.

Regarding a front handspring on floor: think about pushing the floor forward. Like you're trying to move the entire floor (carpet, foam, plywood, springs, the whole thing) in the direction you're traveling. As you come off your hands, keep the head and arms pushed back HARD. Your natural impulse will be to sit up and pull the head forward, but this is exactly the opposite of what you want to do. Keep your head and arms pushed back towards the floor behind you as much as you can for as long as you can. (Bridges and front limbers will help this some, but I've seen impressive front tumbling from kids who could do neither).

Regarding a front handspring on vault: run fast, punch hard, stay straight and tight. If you do all three, block will occur. If you are not blocking, it is because you are falling short in one (or more) of those three things. The specific set of drills I'd use to teach this would vary heavily depending on what equipment you have available and on how tall you are.

EDIT: fixed a typo; handstand pops should hit the floor 30-40 degrees below vertical, not horizontal

Last edited:
Thank you so very much for that incredible answer. I totally understand what you're saying about "it's not something you do, but something that happens". I never had an "epiphany" with my round-off; it just became bouncier over time, and despite all instructions, I could never create a block independent to whatever else I was doing. This is a fabulous explanation why!

I do quite a few handstands, because I absolutely love them, so that's good news. Thank you also for the specific floor/vault directions. I'm not doing the full handspring vault, but the one which ends in a flatback. The entry part still applies, though!

I'm actually 5'6, so quite a few exercises for the shorties are often out for me. I do have a front limber, but have difficulty connecting the two halves, however I don't think this will be such an issue for a handspring.

I can't wait to put your suggestions to the test on Thursday, because starting to learn actual tumbling recently has been so exciting. I feel like a real gymnast!

Seems like a simple question, but the answer is quite complex.

One of my old coaches phrased it like this: block isn't something you do; it's something that happens when you do everything else correctly. If your shoulders are extended and your body is tight and you hit at the right angle at the right speed, block will occur as a result. It's difficult to give a specific correction or set of drills without seeing what you're doing for myself.

That said, here's what general advice I can give you:

Regarding strength drills for blocking: handstands, handstands, and more handstands. Any and every handstand variation you can think of. Free standing, back against a wall, belly against a wall, walking (especially in the direction of your belly while you're upside-down), shoulder tappers, anything you can think of that involves you spending time inverted while supported on your hands. Just make sure your body is tight and your shoulders are pushed up as tall as possible.

Regarding handstand pops on floor: my personal (and probably unpopular) opinion is that this drill as commonly done is more of a gimmick than an actual effective training device. In my opinion, the only way for these to actually be effective is to try to hop backwards. When you do a handstand pop, you should hit the floor somewhere between 30 and 40 degrees below horizontal, and try to push the floor down and forward with your hands; if you do it right, the result is that after a brief moment of airtime, your hands will land slightly behind where they first contacted the floor, with your body somewhere around vertical in a handstand. Doing this properly is extremely difficult; the handspring vault itself is easier than the drill.

Regarding a front handspring on floor: think about pushing the floor forward. Like you're trying to move the entire floor (carpet, foam, plywood, springs, the whole thing) in the direction you're traveling. As you come off your hands, keep the head and arms pushed back HARD. Your natural impulse will be to sit up and pull the head forward, but this is exactly the opposite of what you want to do. Keep your head and arms pushed back towards the floor behind you as much as you can for as long as you can. (Bridges and front limbers will help this some, but I've seen impressive front tumbling from kids who could do neither).

Regarding a front handspring on vault: run fast, punch hard, stay straight and tight. If you do all three, block will occur. If you are not blocking, it is because you are falling short in one (or more) of those three things. The specific set of drills I'd use to teach this would vary heavily depending on what equipment you have available and on how tall you are.
I really wish I could like this response multiple times! Your descriptions are very clear and they make a lot of sense. I am going to make a point to read this to my athletes tomorrow.

@azara | Geoffrey Taucer is absolutely correct about blocking/repulsion being an effect, rather than a cause. Solid, stiff objects bounce when they contact another surface. When an object contacts a surface at the appropriate angle, the object will gain significant height. This is the secret of block. However, be careful; even if you hit at the right angle, you can still lose all chance of blocking if your body is not tightened. Loose muscles absorb impact forces, rather than redirecting them.

@Geoffrey Taucer I want to say a HUGE thank you for your helpful post. With your suggestions and explanations, I had one of those "ah-ha" moments with the flatback vault and not only do I get airtime and reach going into it more than ever before, now I also get real block out and actually slid off the end of the mat, I had so much more momentum than I was used to. The difference is so much so I reckon I could land a front handspring to my feet now, which is something I never really thought I'd seriously be able to do. You honestly helped out so much and I'm very grateful, because it's such an important concept I never understood before. So thank you very much :D

@Geoffrey Taucer I want to say a HUGE thank you for your helpful post. With your suggestions and explanations, I had one of those "ah-ha" moments with the flatback vault and not only do I get airtime and reach going into it more than ever before, now I also get real block out and actually slid off the end of the mat, I had so much more momentum than I was used to. The difference is so much so I reckon I could land a front handspring to my feet now, which is something I never really thought I'd seriously be able to do. You honestly helped out so much and I'm very grateful, because it's such an important concept I never understood before. So thank you very much :D

I agree with what is said above. It's written very clearly!
Also...shout out to Aero for spelling effect, lose, and loose correctly!! I have been on a spelling rampage lately and that was a breath of fresh air!!!
You know it's a great thread when the poster seeking help ends up greatly benefiting from the advice given and when you were recognized for putting effort in to your grammar. :cool:

Props to @Geoffrey Taucer for giving out great biomechanics and physics based advice, and thank you @Shooosh for your love of English! :D

I agree with what is said above. It's written very clearly!
Also...shout out to Aero for spelling effect, lose, and loose correctly!! I have been on a spelling rampage lately and that was a breath of fresh air!!!
Yes, the lose one kills me....come on peeps, you lose an o.....but to be fair maybe it autocorrects somehow....I use to teach it to students with a cowboy using his lasso to take the o away.....

As I'm reading through this, Titanium is playing in the background, specifically the "nothing to lose" part. Discussions about spelling are something I LOVE. Yes I'm strange. Just slightly. I cringe when I notice a typo in a post of mine and it's too late to edit. :confused:

Happy to hear your blocking has gotten better, azara!

Thank you - and I am a spelling nerd as well so I'm appreciating the other half of this thread's discussion! (one that really gets to me, although it's not spelling, is misuse of apostrophes. The poor apostrophe gets abused so much...)

I hate when people can't spell "especially". I've seen every failed attempt out there.

@Geoffrey Taucer Wish you were my kid's coach! This is the best description of the concept of blocking I've ever read. Thankfully, her vault is finally coming together for L10, but it's been 7 years of struggle. Your post makes me realize how little her old coach's correction of "you need to block more" was helping!

I'm am also working on the front handspring flat back/ front handspring vault and front handsprings on floor, this thread has been very helpful! Before I really can understand how to do it a skill I like to know how and what makes the skill work so this thread was right up my alley.

Really, the push comes from the shoulders (and from the whole body staying tight). Some coaches tell kids to push through the wrists and fingertips as well. I can see how this could add a little bit of power, but unless you have the world's strongest wrists, the effect is probably negligible. Unlike the calves (whose purpose is to act as springs launching the entire body weight), the wrists are built for precise manipulation, not for that sort of force output, so I doubt any sort of wrist or fingertip push will make a noticeable difference.

Really, the push comes from the shoulders (and from the whole body staying tight). Some coaches tell kids to push through the wrists and fingertips as well. I can see how this could add a little bit of power, but unless you have the world's strongest wrists, the effect is probably negligible. Unlike the calves (whose purpose is to act as springs launching the entire body weight), the wrists are built for precise manipulation, not for that sort of force output, so I doubt any sort of wrist or fingertip push will make a noticeable difference.

Oh good! Thank you for your response. I was wondering because my DD started wearing palmar pads to save her wrist from further stress and I was wondering if this would affect her ability to push through the fingers. Glad to hear this effect is negligible. She is now more confident about vaulting because there is less pain when her hands hit the vault, so I think it is an overall plus.

I'm a huge proponent of tiger paws and other wrist supports (though this puts me in the minority among coaches). I think that the human wrist was not designed to take the sort of punishment we give them in gymnastics, and we should encourage gymnasts to use whatever braces or supports are necessary to decrease that pounding.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back