Coaches Introducing Clear Hips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gathering ideas for some new lesson plans on bars and am curious what others have found to be the most successful way to introduce clear hips? This would be for level 4 skill level, no need to get the actual skill for a few months, but just start the process and help them start understanding the skill.

Two back hip circles in a row.
Spotted cast to handstand.
Push away kips.
Back uprises on the strap bar.

My way:

1) Two back hip circles in a row with good form
2) "Back knee circle" without a cast with spot
3) The same thing but I lift them up at the end ( at 2.20). Still without a cast. I do tons of these, as long as my arms are hurting so bad I can't even pick up a pen anymore. But I love these!!! They only have to focus on the shape and straight arms. We do these on straps first.
4) I like this drill for the drop. Put a big spotting block behind the bar. The gymnasts starts from standing on the block, which is on her side. She stands on the block on one leg. Swing the free leg, jump into cast position and do a free hip (well, back hip circle first to get used to the new entry. ) Here's a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wa7up0ximhb5wih/2015-08-17 19.27.30.mp4?dl=0 As you can see this is one of her first tries on this drill so her form and technique aren't there yet but you can get the idea.

Great ideas! Thanks, everyone! We have started 2 back hips in a row, I think lots of the girls will stay there for a little while working on shapes. I do have 1 that I moved to knee circles the other day- she's really the one we are doing the drills for but I wanted to start some of the others on the most basic aspects of the skill while we are at it.
I have seen so many level 7/8 bar routines with absolutely dreadful clear hips and I really want to avoid that with my girls!

I haven't worked uprises to help with clear hips before but my team is developing clear hips now. How does the uprise help?
Teaching them the deep drop, so they don't lean way over the bar all the time. We do them on straps.

I just recommend when you start anything from the block have them starting in a position where they're already kinda under the bar (not sure how to describe but basically I've seen it where the coaches are having the kids start it with their body in a cast position, just on a block, and that doesn't really help overall. Set it so their toes are down and their should a are slightly back, then have them drop. I like to spot from the bottom and push their shoulder rather than yank them up unless they can already do it, because you can yank anyone up regardless of their technique if you go that route. Also being under the bar lets me control their drop. But you have to make sure they can safely shift around first without collapsing. So a few months before have them start doing the level 3 straight arm backward roll from laying down off a slightly elevated surface above a low bar.

I just recommend when you start anything from the block have them starting in a position where they're already kinda under the bar (not sure how to describe but basically I've seen it where the coaches are having the kids start it with their body in a cast position, just on a block, and that doesn't really help overall. Set it so their toes are down and their should a are slightly back, then have them drop. I like to spot from the bottom and push their shoulder rather than yank them up unless they can already do it, because you can yank anyone up regardless of their technique if you go that route. Also being under the bar lets me control their drop. But you have to make sure they can safely shift around first without collapsing. So a few months before have them start doing the level 3 straight arm backward roll from laying down off a slightly elevated surface above a low bar.
I completely agree about spotting, I know too many kids who have been spotted for tons of clear hip handstands and are still barely at horizontal on their own.
I think I have a picture of your last drill, but just want to confirm as that sounds like a really good place to start with a few of my kids. I'm picturing kids lying on their backs on a panel mat with a floor on the floor and doing the level 3 straight arm backward roll from there- is that correct?

I completely agree about spotting, I know too many kids who have been spotted for tons of clear hip handstands and are still barely at horizontal on their own.
I think I have a picture of your last drill, but just want to confirm as that sounds like a really good place to start with a few of my kids. I'm picturing kids lying on their backs on a panel mat with a floor on the floor and doing the level 3 straight arm backward roll from there- is that correct?

Yes - it's best if they're holding a bar but usually a floor bar won't stay still/tips (although you could have the other kids hold the ends). So I usually lower down a single low bar or build up mats. So they lay down on their back on something slightly higher than the bar, hold the bar and then pull their feet over and shift their hands to land in a hollow push-up on the other side. It's also good for baby Giants and obviously the pullover motion is more specific towards those but for clear hips it's still a good way to test whether they have the body tension shifting over the bar necessary to safely attempt clear hips.

That makes sense, I was wondering how it would work with a floor bar. We will have to give that a try when we get a break from meets. Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back