Coaches 5 year old won't try

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

coachkazoo

Coach
Proud Parent
I've got a 5 year old girl who for the last two classes says all the time "I can't do that". She won't even try or attempt. I've asked just to try and she cries. I made her sit out after 40 minutes and "have a rest" because I just coudn't take it anymore, I have 6 others to coach plus an autistic child. I do keep my classes really fun with games, lots of movement, songs. She is a heavy child and is having a hard time doing most of the activities. Bars are the worst. She has lots of fears. What do you do? I feel so bad...I'm stuck. Never had this situation before...(The class is a bit mixed so 3 out of the 7 kids are doing really good and 4 are complete beginners so this isn't helping her confidence). Do I just let her do what she wants and skip what she doesn't want to do at this age?

Modify so she has success. At this age/level, let them skip or modify until they build confidence. When she comes to bars, have her hold front support or hang. This will build strength and confidence. Count her hold increasing in excitement each time she adds another number. Explain to the parent.

Modify so she has success.

I totally agree with this approach! I like kids to feel like they are doing well, especially when they are only 5. What I try to do in my classes is to break things down a lot, or give them a couple different degrees of difficulty.

I will give the example of pullovers. In my gym, we have a lot of 5 year olds in our beginner level and they start to work pullovers, but at this level/age you get a lot of kids who are either really scared or who need a lot more strength so if there is a pullover station that a kid is scared of, I have them hold a chin hold (if I'm not there) or I help them hang upside down trying to get hips somewhere close to the bar. Most kids eventually will do a pullover even if it takes them a month or two.

Another example could be of handstands. This is something that I often do with kids working them on a beam, but it would work just as well for kids working them on floor. I usually give them several options such as levers, lunge kick-ups (handstand without bringing feet together), half handstand (join feet but not all the way in handstand), or a normal handstand. This way kids can go at their own pace without me needing to spot every single time and they get comfortable with it.

Also, talking to the parents before/after class might help to see if there is anything that helps her get motivated or just to let them know that she is having a difficult time.

Hope this helps!

I've got a 5 year old girl who for the last two classes says all the time "I can't do that". She won't even try or attempt. I've asked just to try and she cries. I made her sit out after 40 minutes and "have a rest" because I just coudn't take it anymore, I have 6 others to coach plus an autistic child. I do keep my classes really fun with games, lots of movement, songs. She is a heavy child and is having a hard time doing most of the activities. Bars are the worst. She has lots of fears. What do you do? I feel so bad...I'm stuck. Never had this situation before...(The class is a bit mixed so 3 out of the 7 kids are doing really good and 4 are complete beginners so this isn't helping her confidence). Do I just let her do what she wants and skip what she doesn't want to do at this age?

tell the mom to come back in a year. :)

I agree with previous posters, give her something she can feel successful with, even if it's different from the rest of the class. I have 1 little one who has been in the gym for over a year (in a 1-day/week preschool class) who still refuses to do some of the most basic things, but I work with it. On bars she refuses to go upside down, so I give her strength challenges hanging under the bar- hold legs in a tuck, alligator chomps (hold legs out in front in a pike/straddle and open and close), hang under the bar and try to hold feet up and move hands. Glides with feet on a small barrel, hanging from bar and lifting toes to the bar in a straddle and doing small, spotted swings, holding front support, swing legs back and forth in front support (tummy doesn't need to come off bars), whatever I can think of that doesn't go upside down. I spot a lot and make sure to praise for any progress or anything she does on her own. I also encourage everyone to give their very best try, even if they can't quite get all the way there just yet.
You can also always talk to the parents and try to get suggestions, or just to make sure they are on the same page. Chances are they understand she isn't a rock star gymnast and just want to get her doing something active and having fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back