Coaches core strength for back problem

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnndance

Coach
Proud Parent
We got a new gymnast and she has a slipped disc (probably from too many walkovers).

We completely limit all arching. Now I want to give her extra core conditioning for making her core and back really strong. I think that V-Ups work too much hip flexors, so I thought about hollow rock+reverse hollow body hold.
Team conditioning is only Leg Lifts and V-Ups and some hollow holds.

I would make her do 3x1min hollow rocks with ankle weights+3x1min reverse hollow body holds.

Would I need some oblique stuff as well?

Hope you can help! Thanks

I also had a bad back in gymnastics. I had to take out all walkovers and any arching skills. I do not have a medical background d but as someone who has dealt with this I would not add ankle weights to any of her hallow bodies and I would not do arch holds without a PTs ok. Does she work with a physical therapist? I would suggest having them come up with so core exercises that are ok for her. My coaches and trainer worked very closely with my PTs for the rest of my career. Backs are very tricky and need to be rehabbed in a very specific way at a very slow pace. I would hate for you to add anything that might aggravate the issue instead of help.

I coach one girl with a bad back. I have her do a lot of planking (especially side planking) to substitute for any back exercises or arching. I think that strong obliques can help offset weak back muscles.

I had a level 5 gymnast with a bad back and during her recovery we did a lot of different planking exercises. Pushup positions to elbows and toes and back up, side planks, hollow holds, alternating leg & arm raises, ect. About 6 months after her injury, she's all fine now.

you HAVE to work the back as well. Period.

Thanks for your reply! Do you have any specific program?

I would really like to have like a number of reps of an exercise what would be ideal, what we should work towards.

20 V-Ups, Straddle Ups, Tuck Ups in row? 1 minute of hollow hold? Longer?

I would really appreciate a reply! Thanks

Yes, start with simple back therapy 101 stuff, like super man holds and lift hips off ground while laying on back with knees bent, 20 second hold, to tuck stretch. Then advance to reverse military sit ups, (have the kid lay on a block with upper body hanging off (face down) and do reverse sit ups with hands across chest, (set of 10 the first day, advanced to 2 sets a few days later, to 3 sets). Side pulls,, Stand on a bungie cord, and pull up with sides, 2 sets of 10 on each side.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back