Get well soon Beth

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Iwannabemargo

Numpty Watcher
Proud Parent
Beth Tweddle fractured her neck last night whilst training for a reality tv programme called "the Jump"

She has had surgery to fuse two of the vertebrae in her neck and is currently recovering in hospital.

pink and I met her at the British Championships several years ago before she retired and she stood out in the cold for hours talking to and taking pictures with all the little girls who wanted to meet her - a true amabassader of the sport.

Here's wishing her a speedy and full recovery

Yikes. POor Beth! Prayers and good wishes for a speedy recovery!

Poor girl and the other injuries too. The thing is this year, they seemed to have slowed it down to allow more training, but they've had so many injuries. I don't understand if they've just been reallyunlucky, they know the risks going into it. Hope Beth recovers well, that injury and op just sounds horrific.
Rebecca Adlington - dislocated shoulder
The actress who fractured her arm in 2 places and dislocated her elbow.
Then there were another 3 minor injuries in last nights show - Sid Owen had to drop out, Linford dropped out of the show last night but hopes to stay in and the one of made in Chelsea had to not do the final. They'll run out of "celebs" at this rate.
The one who won the snow cross said his knee had twinges.

Maybe it's some sort of evil genius plan to bump off Z-list celebs and put gossip mags out of business?

Hope Beth recovers well. Although I think two fractured/fused neck vertebrae are going to change her life considerably.

Poor Beth! How awful! Praying for a speedy and smooth recovery for her. Is she neurologically okay? Also, what is the concept of "The Jump"? I don't think we have that in the USA.

Its the latest in a series of ridiculous programmes where they get celebrities to compete at sports that normally take years of training. This works well with dancing (Strictly Come Dancing/ Dance with the Stars) but madder ideas have included Show jumping (that one didn't last too long), diving, gymnastics and ice skating. This latest one gets celebs to do Winter Olympics snow sports like luge and ski jumping. Their insurance budget must be substantial.

according to a post by her parents she has some movement in her hands and feet but has a lot of pain, this will take a lot of recovery I think.

This is a very good example of sometimes stepping back from the herd and saying "you know, I don't think that is a very good idea!"

Oh that's awful!! Poor girl. I always loved watching her on bars. I hope she makes a full recovery.

The Made In Chelsea guy has now withdrawn as he actually broke his ankle in Sunday nights' snow cross.
Someone on the radio was saying they get £150k appearance fee.
The ice skating show (didn't Beth win one year?) has had a few injuries and seems risky but nothing like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jump

The injuries are so frequent because the participants are doing sports that they should have had a LOT more training for. Add to that the risk to anyone on snow and ice and it is a recipe for disaster.

I hope Beth, Becky and all the other injured contestants heal fully and quickly.

Yeah that show sounds awful - snow and ice sports are so dangerous, even people who know what they are doing have serious injuries all the time, why would anyone think this is a good idea for a show or find it entertaining :(.

I hope Beth and all the other injured athletes fully recover, and that they shut down the show.

An update on Beth's progress from her parents, Ann and Jerry:

“The medical staff here in Austria have been fantastic, they have been so helpful, patient and incredibly attentive. We cannot thank them enough for what they’ve done for our daughter.

Our thanks also go to the production team who have been helping and supporting us, and everyone who has sent a get well message to Beth. We’ve been reading every message to her and it really does make a difference knowing that there are so many people wishing her well. Thank you for your support.

Since her surgery, Beth has managed to walk a few steps whilst being assisted by the nursing team. She is still very tired from the operation but the medical team are pleased with the progress she is making. At the moment we aren't certain of the timescale for her recovery. We are taking each day as it comes and will update you when there is further news.”

Latest update from Beth

"The medical staff here in Austria have been fantastic and I couldn't have wished for better people to be around me at this time. I’ve started to feel a lot better in the past 24 hours and I’ve begun walking by myself. It’s still a case of taking one day at a time, but I’m setting myself goals and I’m determined to be up and about as soon as I can. The doctors are happy with my progress and next week we will have a better idea of when I can be discharged from hospital. Thank you to everyone that has sent me get well messages. My Mum and Dad have been reading them to me and, one day, I’ll be able to reply to you all, it really has meant a lot to me, so thank you."
Beth xx

at least in germany we stick to diving and going down an ice track using woks as most extreme celeb-challenges... poor beth, get well soon! sounds like a really bad injury to be honest.

Well, and crash car challenges... :rolleyes:

Sending more good thoughts for a speedy recovery! Scary! Glad to hear she's walking. Spinal injuries are so dangerous.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back