WAG Rips! need quick help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
I know two summers ago I received a lot of help how to heal rips. But doing a search doesn't bring up any of the "rips" threads, and it seems like it's been forever since I've needed the info.

What are some of your tried & true ways to heal a rip as quick as could be expected?

The excess skin is trimmed.
Washed thoroughly and patted dry softly.

Last night put aloe on it, and she wore a loose cotton glove to bed - to let some air around it, but to keep the aloe there.
It's got a thin skin layer this morning. We are HOPING upon HOPE that it won't re-rip.

If it doesn't, we will add prep-H to the treatment.

She's mentioned something about a warm spoon? Does anyone know anything about that?

Is there anything else I can be doing, or have we pretty much hit everything we can?

thank you!

Cold, wet tea bags! The tannin in tea can support the healing process. I know a lot of people who swear by it.

(I can never find old threads either, and I specifically remember browsing the one you're referencing.)

Thank you! Now that sounds familiar.
We will do tea bags tonight :)

It's crazy to think it's been like a year and a half since our lives were rules by rips, but I can SO remember each and every day fighting a new rip, because each new one kept her from getting her kip. I dreamt about them!!!

DD has done tea bags. Also, she has used tegaderm under her wrist bands. She did tegaderm over the area, then tape, then her wristbands. It kept the area from getting rubbed with her grips. :)

We've done pumice stone to remove the excess or clippers like you did. Also have let her sleep with it wrapped overnight with some gold bond healing lotion. But the best thing we have tried is Gymnast Salve! Ordered it off of amazon and it is amazing. Literally rips almost healed by the next day if you let them put some on and wrap overnight. It's expensive but a little goes a long way. It's probably too late for this time but might not hurt to order some for next time!

http://www.amazon.com/Joshua-Tree-S...&qid=1454632303&sr=8-1&keywords=gymnast+salve

Rips heal when they heal. And how bad they are make a difference.

We trim, neopsporin, keep covered when they are at their heaviest..
Let air at them as they heal.
Tape grips at practice.

I think maintenance is more important. She pumices in the shower. Hand Cream at night.

And when they are working bars harder then usual, Rips happen.

Cold, wet tea bags! The tannin in tea can support the healing process. I know a lot of people who swear by it.

(I can never find old threads either, and I specifically remember browsing the one you're referencing.)
I always thought it was really bizarre that someone once decided to drip tea bags on their rip and see what happened. What made that person think of doing that?! :confused:

But thank god they did...

Thank you all!
Back in 2014 while learning her kip, the rips were HORRIBLE. I dreamt about them!
I had heard about tea bags, but once DD tried it, and her skin turned brown from the tea, and she decided it looked too stupid. Fast Forward a couple years, a little maturity, and I walk in last night to find her standing in the kitchen with a tea bag on her hand over the sink while she ate her dinner on the counter. Brown skin be damned! (thankfully).
Wednesday night she ripped over the healing rip, but at least last night, it didn't rip again. So after the tea bag, we let it air out for a while,then prep-H with the loose cotton glove overnight.
I think she (dare I say it?) just might be okay for the meet this weekend...

And when they are working bars harder then usual, Rips happen.

I couldn't figure out why all of a sudden she was ripping again.... kip Cast to handstand to dismount. Yup, that'll do it.

Thank you all!

Without tea bags to help heal my rips and tape grips to protect them, I'm not sure I'd ever get to bars! My hands unfortunately rip very easily, if I don't wear tape grips I rip. (This is even with making sure my hands aren't over mosturized and making sure to remove excess skin with a pumice stone.) I didn't wear tape grips for one mild bar rotation and ended up with 5 rips and two blisters! This was all in the span of doing two BHC. Fortunately after April I get to get grips so hopefully that will help reduce the friction a little bit.

DD is trying out the tea bags. She got a monster of a rip last night. She is really hoping for a productive week on bars before a meet this weekend.

DD used tea bags every day, and it seemed to help. And PrepH and a light cotton glove at night. It helped a lot last week!
We both laughed when I made tea this weekend in the hotel (travel meet) and she yelled "Don't throw away the tea bag!!!!"

also just a random note- we wondered why all of sudden DD was ripping-yes there was some new bar skills- clear hip to handstand to giants but not major- then I asked her are you using lots of the antibacterial soap from Bath and Bodyworks- - she said she was using it everyday at LUNCH! I think the alcohol really dried out her skin so we stopped that, use bag balm each night with gloves/socks and added a little Vitamin E oil to our morning and night regimen- it has worked wonders!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back