WAG Leaving gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jortiz03

Gymnast
So i have been at my current gym for about 8 years, since i was 7. And im switching gyms next month. Me and my twin sister are the only high level girls in our gym (level 9)and i don't think my gym could get me to were i would like to be. I mean the coaches are great and all but the facility, team, and level of the gym is not for me. I want to go to a higher level gym where they have girls my level and have a pit. The only thing is that i have a strong bond with one coach. He's the best coach in the gym (has coached national teams in south america) He is literally my 2nd dad and i already told him i might leave. He understood but told me to think about it carefully. My mind is already made up but i don't want to leave him, i know im going to miss him a lot.So pretty much i just need some advice on switching gyms and how the process is. If anyone else has gone through this i'd love to hear your story thanks!

We have switched gyms before, although for different reasons as my dd is nowhere near your skill level. It was hard but it was the right decision for us. DD has improved a lot since then.

I can't imagine how hard it must be to leave a coach you've been with for 8 years. Is it possible that your current gym might be looking to expand their higher level optional program soon? New equipment, etc? If that was the case then you might be able to stay, but if not I can understand why you feel you need to leave. It all depends on your goals. If your goal is to make it to L10, you might be fine where you are, but if your goal is a college scholarship, then I can see why going to a gym with more experience in the higher levels would be needed.

My advice would be to just keep that door open. Leave on good terms. Tell your coach how much you appreciate everything he has done for you. Keep the atmosphere positive. That way if you find that the new gym is just not for you, you will be able to come back if you want. I'm sure he will be upset to see you go, but it sounds like he will understand.

Best of luck to you!

It is a very, very hard decision and there is no way to completly avoid hurt feelings. Like @cadybearsmommy said, if you do leave, definitely leave on the best terms you can and make sure to not talk down about the old gym. All gyms have positives and negatives. Maybe make a pros and cons list? Good luck to you!

I had my daughter switch gyms mid Level 9 season when she was 11 years old. She was devastated. She didn't like her former coach as much as you like your coach; but she "thought" she loved her gym and she loved her friends. It was very tough for her the first few months. She has now been at this new gym for 3 years and she loves it. Loves her coach. Loves her friends. Unfortunately, the gym I ended taking her does not have as much experience as we'd like. She currently has the hardest skills at the gym and any new skills she'll need to learn here on forward, will be the very first time the coaches will be training the skill. Her skill difficulty is ok and above average but if she wants to get into a good NCAA gymnastics team, she will need to increase difficulty and learn new skills.

My advice to you is make sure you do your research and find a gym that meets your goals. Get to know the coach and the team. Ask if you can practice with the team before you commit. Even if the gym is the best gym in the country, if you can't stand the coach or the girls in the team are not nice, you'll be miserable.

As far as your former coach, you should just keep in touch and try not to compare your future coaches with this coach you love because they are all different. Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back