Parents last place

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

balancedmom

Proud Parent
After seeing a bunch of posts on mental blocks, scratching events, and my own question about mental blocks, I wanted to share that my DD (who was out with injuries and has mental blocks) competed her first meet at her new level and came in last-- ok, second to last. And, I have to say, we were so proud of her-- she did all 4 events and did (some of her) skills. She went out there knowing she was going to have a tough time and willing to fail (which is more than I would be willing to do). She has not overcome all of her blocks, and has not fully come back from where she was before her injury, but watching her compete the sport she loves was pretty cool. Just sharing.

Huge well done to your dd and so brave of her , it doesnt matter how she places but more the fact she went out there and done it and enjoyed herself , you must be very proud of her . I always tell dd to concentrate on having fun and doing her own very best at what she loves and works hard at . Good luck to her for the future .

That's great! And inspiring! Mine is due to compete this weekend and she's got an on again off again back walkover on beam issue. Does it on high beam but with mats. This has gone on so long I'm teetering somewhere between freaking out and not caring a lick. At this point just doing the meet will be a success. Like your DD it's not about placement at all. But I would like her to not have to scratch beam and get an AA score so we can move on past l5 and into optionals where her fears can be worked around. Bravo to your DD! Such a tough sport sometimes...well really all times!

The mental toughness and thick skin that these kids get out of this sport is going to serve them much more than a box full of medals as an adult. :)
Absolutely. A teammate of Puma Jrs (probably the strongest in her training group) was upset that she got an 8.6 at the last meet. It's awesome that she strives for 9s, and usually gets them, but she told Puma Jr and another girl yesterday that she's quitting if she gets another score below an 8 or falls. I'm sorry, but that's a terrible attitude. She's a nice kid and a talented gymnast, but I dare say she won't last long in this sport if she can't handle some disappointment.

Absolutely. A teammate of Puma Jrs (probably the strongest in her training group) was upset that she got an 8.6 at the last meet. It's awesome that she strives for 9s, and usually gets them, but she told Puma Jr and another girl yesterday that she's quitting if she gets another score below an 8 or falls. I'm sorry, but that's a terrible attitude. She's a nice kid and a talented gymnast, but I dare say she won't last long in this sport if she can't handle some disappointment.
Below an 8???

After seeing a bunch of posts on mental blocks, scratching events, and my own question about mental blocks, I wanted to share that my DD (who was out with injuries and has mental blocks) competed her first meet at her new level and came in last-- ok, second to last. And, I have to say, we were so proud of her-- she did all 4 events and did (some of her) skills. She went out there knowing she was going to have a tough time and willing to fail (which is more than I would be willing to do). She has not overcome all of her blocks, and has not fully come back from where she was before her injury, but watching her compete the sport she loves was pretty cool. Just sharing.

i took plenty of last and second to last places. everyone in gymnastics has done that early in their career. looks like you are embracing what's important. i commend you! :)

Good for her and congrats to her on going out there and giving it her all. My DD went into her first meet last month knowing she would come in last place and just happy to be competing the all around and I was so proud of her fortitude and her attitude, and I'm sure you feel the same. My DD competes the second time this weekend and she has some specific non-score goals, but otherwise will be just as happy to be out there again with her teammates. These girls, like ours, are the kids who truly feel the sport down to their bones.

So happy for your daughter!
After a month out with mono at the beginning of L4, and having to re-learn her kip 2 weeks before a meet, DD wanted to scratch bars. Her bars certainly weren't pretty, but she could do it safely. Coach wouldn't let her scratch, and although I didn't "forbid it", I nudged her to do bars.
She did come in last, but she was quite proud of herself afterwards that she competed it. And when she told me that, my heart filled with pride ;)

thanks all! It is helpful to hear from some of you who have been in the same place. It is very tough watching your kid struggle at something that they work so hard at. And I know we all wish our kids could just be great and place at the top of the podium, but it doesn't happen that way for all of them. I was ready for DD to quit with the injuries and blocks and she wanted to stay in. She made the right decision. So long as she is not discouraged, I don't care what place she comes in. She is doing L7 and will be doing L7 again next year so hopefully she will be able to improve over time :) Thanks for all your kind words

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back