WAG Meets/Competitions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would assume so.
I would think the quality of the meet would be important too. We have been to meets that were poorly ran or had poorer attendance than advertised (as in host club said teams a,b,c and d were attending and when we arrive after a 2hr drive it's only us and the host team who is using it as a score out meet for their athletes and our girls are left competing against themselves....)
Lots of reasons to decline a meet, I would think personal like/dislike would come into play but not be the most important deciding factor. I know our club has declined meets where they have a good relationship with the hosting gym.

I've never heard it directly from any owner or coach that it happens, but I'm sure it does. IMO gyms see attending another gym's meet as giving money and support to that gym - and if there is bad blood of any kind between the two gyms, they aren't going to go to that meet no matter how good the meet may be.

I also think that sometimes gyms may look the other way about things that mildly upset them when a gym is a regular attendee of their meet cause they want them to keep coming and giving support/money. For instance, say gym A recruits gym B's level 2 coach for a job and they switch, but gym A regularly brings 60 gymnasts to gym B's meet. Gym B may not show that they are upset about the L2 coach cause they want them to keep coming to the meet. However, if gym A recruited Gym B's head optional coach, which in turn caused five level 9 gymnasts to switch to gym A, that would probably be the end of gym A and B going to each other's meets forever ;).

Do some clubs avoid certain meets because of gym owners or head coach?

I am more likely to attend a meet based on it's proximity to our gym and how well the gym runs the competition. I have never avoided putting a competition on our schedule because of a gym owner or head coach. I have avoided putting a competition on our schedule due to lack of viewing area, major issues with how the meet is run, etc.

ETA: Timing is important as well. I try not to schedule too many back-to-back meets and sometimes a meet that is run really well is run during the same weekend as a close meet and I just have to make a decision on which meet to attend that year.

Of course, when you attend a meet you are essentially giving them money. We have clubs that we do and do not support, and meets that we were treated horribly that we will never go back. That is why as a host it is important to treat your guests well, (which absolutely doesn't happen in many cases). You don't have to buy anyone roses, but just don't be rude!

I think we avoid meets that were poorly run. Ie, a meet (first of the season too!) had poor equipment, and didn't do awards. They messed up and kept the coaches. Gymnasts and families went home, my coaches brought home boxes of medals and trophies to give out. Def. won't be going back there. I don't think we really avoid gyms because of coaches though; we haven't had a really bad experience that I know of yet.

Just a thought.. after a recent gym switch and now attending bigger, more high-profile meets- some gyms want their reputation as a "higher-quality" gym that attends the Big meets- just noticing the difference myself

OzZee thats what I was getting at. I was wondering are some gyms black baed and don't know it.
Wouldn't say black balled but there are certain meets hc doesn't want to support that previous hc did. And that the girls loved :-(
But then someone has to pick and choose and friendships and experiences all will come into it.
Pity when some supported aren't the best and involve travel.

We tend to support the gyms that support us. Don't come to my meets for several years in a row, thats cool, but I likely won't keep coming back to yours...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back