WAG Why do they place all the way out?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our state does 50% Events and 100% AA. My daughter is a pretty smart 9 year old and hasn't figured out they give more places for AA than events. She was last AA at her state meet after a bad floor routine and it didn't bother her a bit. I'm not sure she knew, and I didn't volunteer the information.

From what I have seen at my daughter's meets this past season, they all went about 50% out in places. I have never seen them go all the way out... that is just horrible. I like that they do so many places out and then recognizes everyone who didn't place with a participation medal as a group.

When my kids were in the lower levels (and for 2 of them, were young), they didn't care what place they got and they liked medals/ribbons no matter what. I like the boys system where at L4 DS would come home with a ribbon for each event, different colors for different scores - he pulls them out and laughs at the yellow/whites, is proud of the blues. My older son first competed at almost 11 - he could easily tell what was what...this last year he won tons of medals - even at regionals - but would be the first to tell you that its because of his age group - he's more excited to "epically fail" on some events but be at an age appropriate level this year (he'll place well in several events, just not likely all).

DD just plain didn't place except occ on beam (and at tiny meets on everything) until L7....only one meet went all the way out for her - but luckily both years she did something personally great (competed old L5 bars for first time ever and hit both kips and FHS, next year made state as an old L6 after training 2 months) so didn't care at all what her placement was. She does have a friend who last year found the same meets awards painful...at age 12. Unfortunately, now at barely 12 she has decided that last year when she placed in top 6 consistently as a L7 and 3rd at state, that she is a "bad gymnast" because she didn't move up to L8 last year after all (her choice)....so you see, its not always the awards that make them feel good or bad - its all inside the kid!

My point with that is that there is no "perfect" way to do this. Personally, I would opt for few medals awarded, I like the way the young/low level boys got "achievement" type ribbons that actually were a little linked to how they did so they could feel good but also strive for "all blue scores" next meet...

Certainly, younger kids need "kudos" for all the hard work and preparation they put into this sport (much more than soccer, etc at the equivalent age). DD old coach gave them candy, tiny presents, etc at special meets (first ever, state, etc...) - that's what she remembers. As people say all the time, the kids that stick with this are the ones with internal motivation - so no award will change that - worst coaching/parenting decision EVER to let DD stay back to "gain confidence by winning"....each kid will either find the motivation or not - bling won't help! (Now of course, I am assuming that the kid is surrounded by coaches and parents who realize that placement, especially at lower levels, is not what makes a L10 gymnast - if the family/team culture is that placement matters more than long term progression, than bling DOES matter...)

My point with that is that there is no "perfect" way to do this. Personally, I would opt for few medals awarded, I like the way the young/low level boys got "achievement" type ribbons that actually were a little linked to how they did so they could feel good but also strive for "all blue scores" next meet...

Our state does the ribbons for boys L4 as well, and to my son those didn't mean much because they were passed out between events. Nobody even explained to him (or me) what each color meant. What he really wanted more than anything was to stand up there and have his name called out. He would still rather be up on the podium (and he did get that eventually on a few events), but being recognized during awards was very important to him, even if that meant pointing out to everyone that he was in the bottom half. For a 6yo, I don't think that spells impending doom for his future ability to deal with disappointment.

I agree that there is no perfect way to do it. At one meet there were only 3 boys in the 11+ age group for L4. They called out awards for each event and AA. The 3 of them would take their places on the podium, receive their medals, step down, then do it all over again. 7 times. I'm not sure how that could have been avoided, but that was really awkward.

In my state, they placed all the way out for old L4 and L3 this year. New L4 and up, 50%. I am fine with that and agree with "not everyone gets a trophy." When my DD didn't place on vault a couple of times, to me it just emphasized that she needs to work harder on it.

Some meets had the kids who were in the "last placing group" win "bronze devision", then "silver", then "gold" and then they started placing from maybe 6th up. I thought that was nice. It was level 2 so the kiddos love their bling. Plus it shortened award ceremonies just a bit for us parents! I, too, am in the camp of not every should "get" a trophy--that has to be 110% earned!

It also depends on the kid. I've seen that same dejected look on a kid who got 2nd.

I'd try not to read too much into podium faces unless you know for sure what is going on. I have an interesting photo of DS on the top of the podium at a meet last year for an event he won. He looks unhappy because he knew he did not do his best on that event and felt like he didn't deserve to be up there. He'd have been making the same face if he had taken second on the event.

I haven't been a competitive gymnast for very long (I've only done 4 meets in my whole life) so I've placed every time in the AA. For all those meets, they would take the top 50% and normally give them medals,

Hate, hate, HATE when they go all the way out for AA - I've seen kids that look like they are no older than 5 figure it out and start crying - it's so heartbreaking! Meet directors please just don't do it! If you want to give out a participation medal so everyone has something, just give it to everyone ahead of time like when they get the meet TShirt/gift.

I agree. In the lower/beginner levels, I like when they do participation medals for girl who didn't place in the top half and call the girls up in random order. I think it is important in those levels to acknowledge their effort. But to make them line up according to place - all the way to last- is so defeating. I think we have been to only a couple meets that did that. Most either only go out 50% or do the participation medals as a group

What meets have you been to where they just give participant awards to the bottom half?! I would love to attend such a meet.

I also think it varies by host gym and level. For example, all our compulsory AA get a medal; at some optionals meets they go all the way out, some don't. Also, some host gyms will only announce places for top half finishers and will announce everyone else as 'also receiving a medal;' while other host gyms will announce the places all the way out.

I do believe (and someone can correct me if I am wrong) that at compulsory levels they are required to give everyone an AA medal. Optionals meets do not have the same requirements. Some of DD's optionals meets have 100% AA medals, some do not. Her coaches do both types of meets so the girls have experience in both.

USAG compulsory does not medal all the way out. Had a couple of meets this past season where my daughter walked away empty handed. Some of her meets they didn't even medal out 50%. When my daughter did AAU compulsory they medaled all the way out for AA only.

IMO they should do away with public awards ceremonies altogether except state meets and other championship meets. Just publish the results, and the kids who get awards pick up their awards at a table and be done with it. And only place out a reasonable amount. 50% seems excessive. Maybe 1-3 get medals, 4-10 get ribbons. It would certainly help reduce meet fees, drama, hurt feelings, and length of time at competitions. I know this goes against tradition at meets, but it is the main thing about the sport that bewilders myself and my husband. Our other kids are swimmers, and it is not unusual for an event to include 200 kids and only 8 get medals. They walk away from many a meet with the satisfaction of a good personal performance and no awards. After age 12, most meets don't even hand out awards for the older kids except for championship meets. My DD has certainly had good results and enjoyed her time on the podium, but I still think it is unnecessary.

I'd be for less medals too if I had to choose. More medals makes the kids who don't get one feel worse, and when you fall on beam and still end up w/ a medal cause they want out 50% it's not like you feel any better about falling.

If I had to pick a good award threshold I'd do 25% for AA and top 3 for events. My kid would have a ton less medals, but they'd all be more special.

Just finished Level 4. Most of our meets do the 50% thing. States everyone gets a participation medal, the thought being you worked hard to qualify. But those medals are done before awards and not about placement.

What meets have you been to where they just give participant awards to the bottom half?! I would love to attend such a meet.
dd has been competing since for 7 years. All the meets run together. I want to say that the meets doing participant awards are mostly local meets but I remember for sure that Charleston cup does (did) this. We haven't been there for a few years so I don't know if they have continued it but they used to call up all the girls not in the top 50% and they say they are in no particular order. All gymnasts (even the ones who place) were given participant plaques. And then the ones who placed were also given medals. In other meets, the participants have been given or certificates with their scores on it. (which are also given to all gymnasts). Just asked dd and she says that her state and regional meets have been like this as well. But I personally don't recall either way.

Our other kids are swimmers, and it is not unusual for an event to include 200 kids and only 8 get medals. They walk away from many a meet with the satisfaction of a good personal performance and no awards. After age 12, most meets don't even hand out awards for the older kids except for championship meets. My DD has certainly had good results and enjoyed her time on the podium, but I still think it is unnecessary.
I have a swimmer too and in our area, they don't do award ceremonies except for championships at the end of the season. The ribbons for regular meets are sent to the individual clubs and handed out by coaches, often weeks after the meet. And like you said, only the top 8 get ribbons, sometimes from over 150 swimmers. Some smaller meets, especially at the younger ages, ds got little rubber ducks for winning heats, which they passed out at the end of every heat, but I think that was only for 8u.

USAG compulsory does not medal all the way out. Had a couple of meets this past season where my daughter walked away empty handed. Some of her meets they didn't even medal out 50%. When my daughter did AAU compulsory they medaled all the way out for AA only.

This is actually state specific for USAG. Each state determines the regulations for their state as far as medals and also specifies what needs to be done for a sanctioned meet in their state. When I used to coordinate our home meet, we were required to provide AA placement medals (100%) for all levels or risked not being a sanctioned meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back