WAG Why do they place all the way out?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We recently went to a big meet in NYC and they gave out AA medals for places 1-7, DD earned a number of medals and a nice trophy. At the end of awards DD went over to one of her teammates that didn't earn a medal and in front of us asked me if she could give one of her medals to her and began to put her medal around her teammates neck.

I guess for some little kids its more important for ever member on their team to be happy then to walk out with tons of bling. :rolleyes:

In Ontario they split the compulsory groups into 8-10 kids and they're ranked within the group. That way you don't end up with someone in 18th place. They may still be last but they're 9th in their group and get a ribbon. They're awarded for each event and the AA.

In Ontario they split the compulsory groups into 8-10 kids and they're ranked within the group. That way you don't end up with someone in 18th place. They may still be last but they're 9th in their group and get a ribbon. They're awarded for each event and the AA.

This isn't the case for optionals though. There is no subdividing at qualifiers. I've seen age groups with 25+ kids. They give medals for 1st to 3rd and ribbons out to eighth place. Often there are kids who go home empty handed. I've seen girls in tears after awards on more than one occasion.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back