Parents Probability of scholarships.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym has been pretty successful as well with recent gymnasts going to: Stanford, Cornell, Yale, Arizona State, Arizona, Denver, Davis, UCLA. The one thing they all had in common was, as someone noted above, multi-years at level 10. None were of verbally commited at Freshman/Sophomore year. Most were recruited and signed during their senior years.

There's so many things working against the girls making it all the way to compete in college: injuries, plateau, school work, boys, interest. I would be more than ecstatic if my daughter made it to a good college because of gymnastics with or without scholarship.

I think it is very gym dependent. Dd's previous only had one scholarshipped gymnast in its history, and that was the gym owner's daughter. There were usually a handful of level 10s at that gym, but none of the others had scholarships.

At current gym, every level 10 senior has signed with a college (usually SEC teams), and there are verbal commitments with all of the non-senior level 10s (except the 11 year old).

I still don't assume this means my dd will even be considered. She is competing level 6 this year as a 7th grader. Even if she stays with gymnastics and levels up once a year, that only gives her 11th and 12th grade as a level 10, and that just isn't a likely scenario for college gymnastics. She knows this, too. But college gymnastics isn't why she does this. She does it because she loves gymnastics more than anything.

What I've seen is this. DS is at the gym where former gymnast DD, now a high school senior, did level 5. This year the girls' team has one graduating senior who signed a NLI this fall. She was one of 14 girls on DD's level 5 team and is the only one left who still does gymnastics. So for this group it's level 5 to level 10-- about 7%; level 10 doing NCAA 100%.

This was part of a parents meeting that DD's old gym did annually with new gym parents. Gym owner said he started breaking this stuff down for parents after too many heartbreaking conversations with parents of 15 years old level 7's that wanted to know when they were going to start working on the recruiting video.
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1455225026.829631.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1455225064.414080.jpg

First image is a general guideline for D1, second image is a general guideline for D2 & D3

This is another slide from the same parent presentation that was intended to level-set new gym parents. This was from the year before the level changes went into effect so when it refers to "level 4" that is what we now know as level 3.
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1455225449.157659.jpg

More anecdotal info. Of 28 girls on my DDs Level 5 team, only 5 other girls besides my dd are still doing gymnastics 6 years later. Mine is L10 and 4 of the other girls are doing level 9, and I'd venture to say that 2 could be on track for a lower ranked D1 scholarship if they move to 10 and do well next year. So IF it works out for my DD and the other 2, that's ~10%, but that's even assuming that all of them will still be in the sport in 4 years.

On our new team, we have one senior on our team right now and she will be competing D1. Looking back at 31 girls that she competed old L4 with, none but her are still in the sport.

Our old gym had only 4 level 10s total and 1 scholarship in the past 10 years. Our new gym has had about 20 L10s over the same amount of time, and all but 2 secured scholarships. It is very much dependent on the gym.

This was part of a parents meeting that DD's old gym did annually with new gym parents. Gym owner said he started breaking this stuff down for parents after too many heartbreaking conversations with parents of 15 years old level 7's that wanted to know when they were going to start working on the recruiting video. View attachment 6071View attachment 6072

First image is a general guideline for D1, second image is a general guideline for D2 & D3

As blunt as that seems, it's pretty spot on and to the point...not to say a 15 yo level 7 couldn't eventually do club gymnastics in college, but presenting the hard facts definitely clears up the issue for both the gymnast and her family.

I think it is very gym dependent. Dd's previous only had one scholarshipped gymnast in its history, and that was the gym owner's daughter. There were usually a handful of level 10s at that gym, but none of the others had scholarships.

At current gym, every level 10 senior has signed with a college (usually SEC teams), and there are verbal commitments with all of the non-senior level 10s (except the 11 year old).

I still don't assume this means my dd will even be considered. She is competing level 6 this year as a 7th grader. Even if she stays with gymnastics and levels up once a year, that only gives her 11th and 12th grade as a level 10, and that just isn't a likely scenario for college gymnastics. She knows this, too. But college gymnastics isn't why she does this. She does it because she loves gymnastics more than anything.

Curious about this - so, every current level 10 senior who had signed with a college or have a verbal were multi-year level 10s? At your DD's gym, is it unusual for girls who don't progress rapidly and do 3-4+ years @ 10 to have quit before they ever make it to 10? ie, there aren't any 1-2 year level 10s at this gym?

Curious about this - so, every current level 10 senior who had signed with a college or have a verbal were multi-year level 10s? At your DD's gym, is it unusual for girls who don't progress rapidly and do 3-4+ years @ 10 to have quit before they ever make it to 10? ie, there aren't any 1-2 year level 10s at this gym?

The 1-2 year level 10s have been rarer in our experience...most 10s that my girls have trained with have been a level 10 by 9th grade at the latest , and have gone on to do college gymnastics at D1-3 programs....and there have been girls who have done level 10 gym this long that call it a day when they go off to college...

We have known exactly 2 girls moved to level 10 in their Senior years "because they are seniors" and both had disastrous seasons that could be kindly classified as debacles....these girls barely had 9 skills so their level 10 year were peppered with multiple 28-30 AA scores...and made for some awkward moments as the legitimate 10s were doing well and didn't want to make these girls feel bad but it was uncomfortable for all involved...I saw ZERO redeeming value to competing this one year "as a 10" as they didn't even make it to States...neither girl had any plan to do any type of gym in college so the point to this escaped me...

The 1-2 year level 10s have been rarer in our experience...most 10s that my girls have trained with have been a level 10 by 9th grade at the latest , and have gone on to do college gymnastics at D1-3 programs..

We have known exactly 2 girls moved to level 10 in their Senior years "because they are seniors" and both had disastrous seasons that could be kindly classified as debacles....these girls barely had 9 skills so their level 10 year were peppered with multiple 28-30 AA scores...and made for some awkward moments as the legitimate 10s were doing well and didn't want to make these girls feel bad but it was uncomfortable for all involved...I saw ZERO redeeming value to competing this one year "as a 10" as they didn't even make it to States...neither girl had any plan to do any type of gym in college so the point to this escaped me...

While my heart says you have to do what you love, as a parent, I have to agree with your thoughts on this. These girls are spending just as many hours in the gym sacrificing school work and risking injuries... but on the other hand, it is pretty inspiring to see girls stick with it to the end!

While my heart says you have to do what you love, as a parent, I have to agree with your thoughts on this. These girls are spending just as many hours in the gym sacrificing school work and risking injuries... but on the other hand, it is pretty inspiring to see girls stick with it to the end!

I guess my point in my referenced post was that not everyone has the skills to make it to level 10, and that's not a bad thing. I think if the 2 girls mentioned had finished their senior year as level 9s ( and had a better season) , I still would have considered them as girls who "stuck with it to the end" as well...just that when they ended, they would have ( and should have) been level 9s....it's just not in the cards for every gymnast to make it to level 10...and I certainly don't think that "being a Senior" should be the determining factor...

wow, that's very useful - our gym should post that harsh reality somewhere as well...
I was so happy that we received this info when my daughter was just starting out at age 6. New gym (which we really like) doesn't do this and I see so many parents with 10 and 11 year old level 3's spending hundreds of extra dollars on privates and additional classes thinking their DD might get a scholarship. They have no clue how much the odds are stacked against them even if DD was a phenomenal 6 or 7 year old level 3. Old gym (which we left because of a cross country move) made it clear from day one that scholarships shouldn't factor in at all when it comes to having your daughter do gymnastics, ESPECIALLY at the compulsory level and old gym has placed girls in D1 programs all over the country including University of Florida, LSU, Penn State and University of Georgia to name just a few

Those guidelines are depressing.

I mean, we haven't been college-gym focused. I'm not sure DD will even want to go to college, much less compete gym while in college.

That said, as a parent, we hope our kids can reach their goals. My DD hasn't really defined any yet. But when it comes to gym, realistically, the soonest she'd make L10 is grade 10. More likely grade 11. While I've known for a long time college gym would be an unlikely reality, it still makes me sad to think there's really no chance for her.

I guess my point in my referenced post was that not everyone has the skills to make it to level 10, and that's not a bad thing. I think if the 2 girls mentioned had finished their senior year as level 9s ( and had a better season) , I still would have considered them as girls who "stuck with it to the end" as well...just that when they ended, they would have ( and should have) been level 9s....it's just not in the cards for every gymnast to make it to level 10...and I certainly don't think that "being a Senior" should be the determining factor...
I totally agreed with this. There have been girls around here we know who have graduated as level 9s. They are celebrated at banquet and seem to feel happy going out successful by qualifying to Western Nationals with no hint that they felt they missed out by not doing 10.

There are definitely girls who go on to NCAA after doing their first year of level 10 as sophomores. No they're not going to go get a full ride at UCLA or Florida, but there are still a lot of women's teams out there.

Those guidelines are depressing.

I mean, we haven't been college-gym focused. I'm not sure DD will even want to go to college, much less compete gym while in college.

That said, as a parent, we hope our kids can reach their goals. My DD hasn't really defined any yet. But when it comes to gym, realistically, the soonest she'd make L10 is grade 10. More likely grade 11. While I've known for a long time college gym would be an unlikely reality, it still makes me sad to think there's really no chance for her.
Based on the guidelines from our old gym she could definitely still do D2 & D3. D1 would be a very long shot.

In an earlier post I mentioned 2 girls from DD's old gym that were able to get D1 scholarships after reaching level 10 as Juniors. After revisiting it I realized that I was mistaken. One of the girls was a 4 year level 10 and the other reached level 10 as a Sophomore. Both were very good gymnasts but my understanding is that neither were recruited for D1. With a lot of hard work on their own sending letters and videos all over the country they were eventually able to secure scholarships to the same D1. It required that they move from a VERY warm climate to a VERY, VERY cold climate but D1 was what they wanted and they worked until they got it :)

I know we will never know, but I wonder how many talented young gymnasts end up with scholarships in other sports. It's still not a reason to do gymnastics, but it seems like it could help. My kids are going to be tall, so I am thinking gymnastics is preparation for a rowing career later on. (I'm half kidding. )

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back