How to prevent a ankle injuries in the gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ankle injuries are very common in gymnastics ranging from sprains, ligament ruptures, fractures to dislocations but they should not be taken lightly as it can take an athlete out of training for a very long time. I learnt this the painful way, dislocating my ankle landing from a simple straddle jump on a tumble-track during warm up. I believe the main reason for my injury was because my feet were aching badly from the previous training session and basketball game the previous day which made my ankles unstable. Surprisingly, most gymnastics injuries that I have witnessed are due to basic moves or simply walking around in the gym rather than new or challenging moves.
Check out the link below for reasons behind unstable ankles and exercises to counter it by Dr. Dave Tilley:
www.hybridperspective.com/2013/11/21/gymnastics-specific-preventative-rehabilitation-for-ankle-instability-and-chronic-inversion-ankle-sprains/
Protect your ankles, Stay safe in the gym!
------------------------------------------------------------------
Videos of gymnastics ankle injuries from Youtube:
1. Serious Sprain:

2. Dislocation (Ouch!):

Can you spot anything wrong with their form or technique that results in the injury?

Lack of core strength usually contributes, but not always. In my case, I have extra bones thatlead to instability; and different leg lengths - causing a lot of pressure on one of my ankles.

Other cases can be improper matting, spotting or safety.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back