Parents Probability of scholarships.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've wondered myself if gymnasts can get cheer scholarships? Anyone heard of this happening?
I know a gymnast, from a neighboring gym, that never moved out of L9, never cheered a day in her life, but was awarded a cheer scholarship her Sr year. After mentioning this to my dd she made it clear she would rather sit out college than consider cheering for four years.

Last edited:
Curious about this - so, every current level 10 senior who had signed with a college or have a verbal were multi-year level 10s? At your DD's gym, is it unusual for girls who don't progress rapidly and do 3-4+ years @ 10 to have quit before they ever make it to 10? ie, there aren't any 1-2 year level 10s at this gym?

Currently, every level 10 is a multi-year 10.

I know a gymnast, from a neighboring gym, that never moved out of L9, never cheered a day in her life, but was awarded a cheer scholarship her Sr year. After mentioning this to my dd she made it clear she would rather sit out college than consider cheering for four years.
lol pretty sure my Dd would have the same reaction

I never knew there was such a thing as a "cheer scholarship"? This was a D1-D3 school? Did it pay for everything or just books or something like that? I had friends in college that when they made the cheer team they got money for their books and a little bit extra for meals or something (can't remember), but it was nothing significant. These girls were still taking out loans and/or depending heavily on their parents to pay tuition, room and board, etc. Last I checked cheer is not an NCAA scholarship-able sport like track, gymnastics, diving, etc. Neither is dance. Only dance scholarships are for those in a dance program getting a degree in dance.

I guess my point in my referenced post was that not everyone has the skills to make it to level 10, and that's not a bad thing. I think if the 2 girls mentioned had finished their senior year as level 9s ( and had a better season) , I still would have considered them as girls who "stuck with it to the end" as well...just that when they ended, they would have ( and should have) been level 9s....it's just not in the cards for every gymnast to make it to level 10...and I certainly don't think that "being a Senior" should be the determining factor...
We had a girl last year graduate as a L7. She was just not quite able to get the skills to move past that level, but she loved gymnastics and was a great role model for all the girls who aren't "superstars." Plus, she is just the sweetest kid.

We often have girls graduate as L9s. That was as far as their skill (or time) was able to take them. We celebrate every gymnast that graduates equally, no matter what level she accomplishes.

I know we will never know, but I wonder how many talented young gymnasts end up with scholarships in other sports. It's still not a reason to do gymnastics, but it seems like it could help. My kids are going to be tall, so I am thinking gymnastics is preparation for a rowing career later on. (I'm half kidding. )
This is the reason I put DD in gym to begin with, not for scholarships, but because it builds an amazing foundation for any sport she may decide she likes better.

I put my youngest DD in ballet for the "foundation" reason as well. We tried one rec gym class with her and I quickly realized dance for her would be better use of my time and $
:D

This was part of a parents meeting that DD's old gym did annually with new gym parents. Gym owner said he started breaking this stuff down for parents after too many heartbreaking conversations with parents of 15 years old level 7's that wanted to know when they were going to start working on the recruiting video. View attachment 6071View attachment 6072

First image is a general guideline for D1, second image is a general guideline for D2 & D3

It's interesting but even this aggressive timeline seems outdated now with many of the top colleges already making verbal offers by the girls' freshman year.
It seems like the timeline has shifted an extra year earlier now with the top recruits already having 2 years of level 10/JO natl experience by their freshman year of HS...

It's interesting but even this aggressive timeline seems outdated now with many of the top colleges already making verbal offers by the girls' freshman year.
It seems like the timeline has shifted an extra year earlier now with the top recruits already having 2 years of level 10/JO natl experience by their freshman year of HS...
I absolutely agree. This was from a parent meeting I attended when my daughter was 6. She's 9 now. Things have definitely changed in 3 years.

Part of me thinks those guidelines should be a "sticky" on the parent forum, as there are so many parents who really don't have any idea of where children need to be for recruitment.

Personally, I think it is always better to have all the information you can get, so that you can help your child understand and have reasonable expectations. The earlier, the better in a sport like gymnastics.

There is a new sport called acro and tumbling that's an outgrowth of the push to get cheer to become an NCAA sport. It's mainly D2 for now, but it might take off and offer another alternative for kids to continue competing in college.

I never knew there was such a thing as a "cheer scholarship"? This was a D1-D3 school?
you know...you got me curious. These were people we met at a party, their dd was competing L9 at the time and our mutual friend updated me on their dd's "good fortune" after she was awarded the spot without a great deal of detail and I took it at face value. I see that family this weekend.... I'll try to get more details. I'm interested now...

Last edited:
We have a friend whose daughter was a successful multi-year level 10 gymnast. She didn't want to do college gym but opted to do cheer at FSU. They said they didn't know of any cheer scholarships but their daughter did receive a small stipend to be used on hair, make-up, tanning, gym membership, etc.

There is a new sport called acro and tumbling that's an outgrowth of the push to get cheer to become an NCAA sport. It's mainly D2 for now, but it might take off and offer another alternative for kids to continue competing in college.
It is definitely growing. Here are the schools with acro tumbling:

Alderson-Broaddus College
Adrian College
Azusa Pacific University
Baylor University
Concordia University Wisconsin
Fairmont State University
Gannon University
Glenville State College
Georgetown College
Hawai'I Pacific University
King University
University of Oregon
Quinnipiac University

Oregon, Baylor and Quinnipiac are D1. I think it is a 12 scholarship sport like gymnastics.

We've seen one of these teams exhibit at cheer comps a few times. It's pretty fun to watch, and my DD is super interested in going this route should she decide to do college. She currently competes gym (JO) and rec cheer, and this seems to be what she's most excited about at the moment, as tumbling is definitely her favorite thing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back