Parents Meet hair ideas for a hair-challenged mom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Trying to upload a pic from the side. This was the first we did this year, so not quite as high and the sides aren't braided, but so you get an idea of how flat we can get her nearly waist-length hair.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 83
FWIW, everyone on my dd's level 3 team has to wear a high pony with curls and no one has ever complained or had a problem with the backward roll. One of the girls has fine, waist length hair too. Probably it just happens so quickly during the routine that they just do it and don't think about it. :)

How does your dd wear her hair at practice?
If the pony or bun is high enough it won't get in the way, as long as the hair in the pony is not too long to get caught under her hands. (Thus the looped braids. Braiding shortens the hair and then you loop them up to shorten it more. With really long hair you do 3 or 4 braids in the pony to loop up.) For a high pony, dd would stand against the wall and make sure the pony was above where her head contacted the wall - clever girl.

AS for the french braid, it will get loose at the base if you are pulling away from the head as you braid, you have to stay tight to the scalp. Many girls on dd's team have done french braids and the braids go below the shoulders. It has never been an issue with the coach or judges. Hair getting in the face or under the hands would be an issue.

Well you could try the hairstyle we are required to do. A very high, slicked back ponytail with tons of corkscrew curls. It only requires about 45 minutes (at least!) to put in 40+ rollers the night before. And then another 20+ minutes the next morning to unroll (or cut out!) the rollers. Tons of gel and hairspray also involved. It's great! ;) (Although most of the work is done the night before which does meet your requirement).

Seriously, I think braids is a good idea.

That would make me change gyms.

That would make me change gyms.

It's not really that bad. I was kind of exaggerating. :) It does look cute when it's done. My dd, on the right, has hair that goes mid way down her back and the tight curls really shorten it and keep it out of the way.

This isn't the best picture, but you get the idea. This was the first meet of the season, so our "skills" were a little rusty. By the end of the season, the curls look much nicer.

Attachments

• IMG_20151004_133536734 (1) (2).jpg
    IMG_20151004_133536734 (1) (2).jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 134
^^^^ We would seriously need a hairpiece if they expected that. My girls hair doesn't hold a curl for more than 30 mins.

She is just not genetically predisposed to have curls.
I understand that… I got a PERM once and followed the no washing directions (even waited an extra day before getting it wet at all). The curls were gone the first time it got wet. Then, for HS graduation, I got my hair "professionally done - curlers, a proper set, 3 cans of aquanet … the curls didn't even last the 10 minute car ride home, lol.

YG's hair is the same way. We can get it "wavy" if we wet it, gel it, french braid it for 3 days (only taking out to tighten if necessary)… then take it out after the 3 days. The waves stay in for about an hour :)

Then, for HS graduation, I got my hair "professionally done - curlers, a proper set, 3 cans of aquanet … the curls didn't even last the 10 minute car ride home, lol.
OMG - that's me!!! my best friend and I got our hair done for prom. Mine was shorter so done first. WHILE standing by her watching her get hers done, mine just kept dropping and dropping :(

My kids have naturally curly hair and I end up toiling away with a straightening iron before each meet to wrestle it into a bun. Our requirements are bun only. They can do a pony only if it doesn't hang below the nape of their neck. Personally I find long floppy ponytails distracting when the girls are performing and our coaches dislike them.
A high pony with the looped braids sounds like the best compromise here for the OP if you're hair challenged. If her hair is that long it will be in her face if it's left in a loose ponytail.

I always did a low side bun for my DD when she was doing that back extension roll on floor. It kept it up and off the neck but not in the way of doing her skills.

Another vote for high pony and looped braids. If the loops are still to long, just pull the ends up more, and wrap around the top of the pony. You will need a few more elastics, but the whole mess will get covered by the scrunchie anyway :)

My YDD has just past waist long hair and one of the only styles we have found that works for her (ponytails and plain braids aren't allowed in T&T competitions) is what we call the "milkmaid" hairdo. I do pigtails, braid them, and them wrap each braid around both sides. I then sew it in place. I have even added ribbons for comps. It holds amazingly well, even on trampoline. I have occasionally done devil buns out of braided pigtails too (also sewn in) but the milkmaid holds better. This was her hair done for practice, so no hairspray, gel, or fanciness, but it gives you the idea.
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1455660403.294950.jpg

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1455667903.443115.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1455667930.388917.jpg

I either braid the front or spider web the front and then put in low pony and split pony into sections. Braid and wrap each section. Lots of Bobby pins and hairspray. I do it the night before. The girls sleep in a silk sleeping cap I got at Walgreens. Hair never moves!

Both have long hair ( middle of back) one is a L4 (dark hair) and L3 ( lighter hair)

My YDD has just past waist long hair and one of the only styles we have found that works for her (ponytails and plain braids aren't allowed in T&T competitions) is what we call the "milkmaid" hairdo. I do pigtails, braid them, and them wrap each braid around both sides. I then sew it in place. I have even added ribbons for comps. It holds amazingly well, even on trampoline. I have occasionally done devil buns out of braided pigtails too (also sewn in) but the milkmaid holds better. This was her hair done for practice, so no hairspray, gel, or fanciness, but it gives you the idea.View attachment 6099
i really like this. do you have any more photos of how it looks from either the side or the front?

the S dutch braid with the bun ending a little on the side is very beautiful and practical. I think it can be found on princess hairstyles or youtube.

We are required to have a bun and my dd struggled with the back extension roll if her bun was low. With a high bun, she was fine. She refused the two side buns. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back