WAG 9.0 Club Ideas

• Thread starter Deleted member 17723
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 17723

Not sure if I should post this here or off topic. If it's in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

My gym has a 9.0 club and a 36 club. In the past we just had a 8.5 x 11 piece of paper for each girl, with their name and level at the top, and then the four events + all around on the bottom 3/4 of the page. Stars were added for 9s and 36s and a fancier star was added for 9.5s and 37s.

This year a couple teammates and I want to do something more... creative. Any ideas? Willing to hear anything really... just has to be rather inexpensive. We can do one big board, a few small, individual... all ideas are appreciated.

Thanks...

I like the idea of the page, can be presented and year end. It then becomes a scrapbook page. Or frame it.

Just dress it up. Include a pictures. Maybe instead of stars, a silhouette for each event with stars for all around. Do scores by color.

Flower or lollipop bouquet/vase. Again different flowers for events, colors for scores. Same with lollipop, different color for events write scores on the lollipop.

Personal best for the season, event with no falls. Find a way to make sure everyone is included.

We (meaning me) have done a big bulletin board. It says Look who got a 9.0! Then we got little card stock owls(get it, whoooo) and put the girls name/level/event/score on each one. End of the year girls can have all their owls. Only mistake is the Owls are big, 3 meets in the board is almost full!

Our 9.0 Club is "hands on the wall" ... at the old gym site, they had sillouettes of the events painted in black on the wall. Handprints were done in red and a sharpie was used to write the girl's name, score, and date of the meet. The handprint went around the correct event painting.

At the current location, we can't paint on the wall (it's a school), so we have the girls put their handprints on card stock. The same info is written on the paper as previously on the wall. Then the card stock is laminated. The handprints are hung around a sign for the correct event.

That may work for your team... poster size sillouhettes for the events and handprints or something similar for scores.

We (meaning me) have done a big bulletin board. It says Look who got a 9.0! Then we got little card stock owls(get it, whoooo) and put the girls name/level/event/score on each one. End of the year girls can have all their owls. Only mistake is the Owls are big, 3 meets in the board is almost full!
Can you maybe PM me a picture of this? I really like this idea...

We used to do a puzzle piece wall, if you got a 9.0 or 36.0 your name, competition, and event went on a puzzle piece and then on the wall

I was visiting a gym once and they had a bulletin board that said something like "We set our sights high." There were little blue construction paper clouds for 36AAs, with gymnast name, meet name, and score. I think 9.0+ scores were on brightly colored paper cut into a butterfly shape.

I do our 9.0 awards at our gym. Every 9.0 score is printed on a quarter sheet of paper with the date and meet name. We do one quarter sheet for each meet. At the end of the year the awards are given to the gymnast. I jazz up each award with stickers or clip art that represents the meet. The process can be very time consuming and is all volunteer. We used to do a quarter sheet for each 9.0 score at every meet. So a gymnast could get 4 awards for every meet times that by 50-75 gymnasts. The process needed to be simplified so we chose to down size. All 9.0 awards are displayed at the gym.

My DDs old gym used to give out small ribbons on safety pins for every 9 at a meet. They would then pin them to their meet bags. The little ones really loved it, they would work so hard for them and couldn't wait to get back to the gym and get them after a meet.

My one warning: think about team size and how many 9s you are expecting before you start something like this. When the team gets to a certain size and the expectations are at a certain level, it can become a lot of 9s. ;)
Oh yes :) Plus we are YMCA so getting 9s is a little easier :/ But the little ones love to work for the "prize" and I love seeing the smiles on their faces :) I'm willing to put in a little bit of work to make them happy :)

Oh yes :) Plus we are YMCA so getting 9s is a little easier :/ But the little ones love to work for the "prize" and I love seeing the smiles on their faces :) I'm willing to put in a little bit of work to make them happy :)
Getting 9s at a Y are not a little easier. You are judged by the same standards as club meets (it just SEEMS easier because there is less competition).

Getting 9s at a Y are not a little easier. You are judged by the same standards as club meets (it just SEEMS easier because there is less competition).
Technically, you're right. IMO at YMCA meets they are a little more lenient though... that slightly flexed foot or a little below required heights on casts might not kill you. And when you are at a 8.9 or something... it's sometimes rounded up for the littles :) But, I guess you are right.

Following this thread because I need ideas too, lol. Originally we were going to cut out construction paper 'stars' in our colors because we have a star in our gym logo. Each 9.0 would get a star, but if you got over a 9.5, you would get a gold star. The stars would have the gymnasts name, meet, level, event, and score written on them. Same for AA. Except 37s get a star, and 38 gets a gold star. AND 1st placers, except they would just get half a sheet of construction paper with their picture, name, level, meet, event, and score written under it. Well, I went and bought all the paper and everything but cutting out perfect stars is HARD. Not to mention, after a few meets I was knee deep in making them because our kids were pumping out 9s like nobodies business (esp compulsories).

So....it's kind of not been touched in awhile. The whole thing stresses me out lol. Following this thread in hopes of getting a new idea because the star thing is waaaay too time consuming. PLUS, we have a new building (less than 2 yrs old), so we want everything to look really neat and professional, so unfortunately I can't just stick slabs of paper all over the wall. I LOVE the painted handprint idea but I doubt our owners would love the paint on their perfectly white walls :/

Following this thread because I need ideas too, lol. Originally we were going to cut out construction paper 'stars' in our colors because we have a star in our gym logo. Each 9.0 would get a star, but if you got over a 9.5, you would get a gold star. The stars would have the gymnasts name, meet, level, event, and score written on them. Same for AA. Except 37s get a star, and 38 gets a gold star. AND 1st placers, except they would just get half a sheet of construction paper with their picture, name, level, meet, event, and score written under it. Well, I went and bought all the paper and everything but cutting out perfect stars is HARD. Not to mention, after a few meets I was knee deep in making them because our kids were pumping out 9s like nobodies business (esp compulsories).

So....it's kind of not been touched in awhile. The whole thing stresses me out lol. Following this thread in hopes of getting a new idea because the star thing is waaaay too time consuming. PLUS, we have a new building (less than 2 yrs old), so we want everything to look really neat and professional, so unfortunately I can't just stick slabs of paper all over the wall. I LOVE the painted handprint idea but I doubt our owners would love the paint on their perfectly white walls :/
We don't have a 9.0 club or anything like that, but if a team placed first, they sign the banner. What about getting a banner and getting different colored stars or different sizes and hanging it low enough for the gymnast to sign it on a star when they attain a certain score?

Our gym does have banners made for the gymnast to hang at the gym for state/regional/national wins. Parents usually opt for a personal size banner for their gymnast.

CoachMeg, have you looked at teacher supply stores? They might have affordable pre-cut stars.

I haven't done anything on this specific topic, but I have made fake bulletin boards from the large rolls of paper made to cover bulletin boards- you can glue or staple bulletin board board to it and stick it on the wall using sticky tac, then draw or tape things directly on the paper. I used to run a program in a church building where we couldn't put anything up permanently and this was how we made the place look fun.

Word has all sorts of shapes you can edit. You can print onto color paper print to back to hide lines, or print in pretty contrast color. equally you can print in color and use up all your ink :). Then you can use a gold glitter pen to jazz up the extra high score stars.

Following this thread because I need ideAs too, lol. Originally we were going to cut out construction paper 'stars' in our colors because we have a star in our gym logo. Each 9.0 would get a star, but if you got over a 9.5, you would get a gold star. The stars would have the gymnasts name, meet, level, event, and score written on them. Same for AA. Except 37s get a star, and 38 gets a gold star. AND 1st placers, except they would just get half a sheet of construction paper with their picture, name, level, meet, event, and score written under it. Well, I went and bought all the paper and everything but cutting out perfect stars is HARD. Not to mention, after a few meets I was knee deep in making them because our kids were pumping out 9s like nobodies business (esp compulsories).

You might want to see if a local elementary school has a die cut system you could use. If they have one, they probably already have a star pattern. You could spend an hour and cut out 200 - 500 perfect stars :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back