Parents When your child wasn't really ready to quit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Quick update: It turns out that the high school diving coach is a former gymnast. She was thrilled that ds was interested in diving. Normally new athletes have to try out every fall, but she accepted him onto the team now, mid-season, to train and learn to dive, so that he will be ready to compete with them next fall. (He is in 9th grade, so in the fall he will be eligible for varsity diving as a 10th grader.) And since he will be at the pool every day for practice anyway, she talked him into joining water polo as well, which starts next week. He is so excited right now, even though he panicked a bit when he watched a youtube video of a water polo match and realized how hard it is. When he agreed to join, he thought water polo was like that water volleyball scene in Meet the parents, where you get to stand in the pool and just pass the ball around. lol

Anyway, I have a much happier kid, who is excited about learning to dive, learning to play water polo, and being a high school varsity athlete at one of the largest high schools in Texas. His mood is much improved and he is even being somewhat nice to his sister again.

Just be sure to tell him it's not real water polo unless the water is red at the end.

Seriously, so happy for him! He is going to be an awesome diver! And his fitness will probably keep him from getting murdered right away when he starts up the water polo.

That is great news. I hope he will have a great time diving and well endure the water polo thing ;-)
And please keep us posted about his progression in the sport.

Just be sure to tell him it's not real water polo unless the water is red at the end.

Seriously, so happy for him! He is going to be an awesome diver! And his fitness will probably keep him from getting murdered right away when he starts up the water polo.

lol, hubbie used to play water polo when he was younger in the summer to keep fit for Rugby, they played in the local harbours and he definitely came back with chunks missing !

I played water polo at uni and it is definitely brutal and hard work. Although weirdly playing against bad teams was harder than playing against good teams, against one of the teams who hadn't a clue I had my swimsuit ripped to pieces! No idea how she managed it but i was left with a substantial hole!
I can't imagine a small gymnast/diver coping against our mens team as most were BIG, hope he enjoys one/both of his new sports.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back