Parents Probability of scholarships.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Great video. I am curious. Is it all compulsory? Do all teams compete the exact same routines or is there an optional round where the teams can up their degree of difficulty? Also should we spin this off to a different thread?

the video is awesome. DD is competing her last cheer meet today. She loves the acro and tumbling aspect and hates the "cheer" and big bows part. She attends an academic proficiency school and if she stays there next year the high school has no sports. She'd love to continue doing acro...I'll have to show her this. Its right at her skill level now, so 5 years from now, it might be a way for her to continue to be athletic and a team member (the 2 aspects she lost from gym and now cheer with it coming to a close).

the video is awesome. DD is competing her last cheer meet today. She loves the acro and tumbling aspect and hates the "cheer" and big bows part. She attends an academic proficiency school and if she stays there next year the high school has no sports. She'd love to continue doing acro...I'll have to show her this. Its right at her skill level now, so 5 years from now, it might be a way for her to continue to be athletic and a team member (the 2 aspects she lost from gym and now cheer with it coming to a close).

It would be awesome to have cheer teams have both versions and have meets for all levels in this format.

If they move onto another sport they need to move young enough to get the right skills, results and exposure to get a scholarship.

Not rowing. There are still more scholarships than high school rowers (girls only). There are small D1 programs recruiting girls who show potential but never sat in a boat. They have to do some sport well and submit erg times. My friend is a coach at such a small program, and her kids are former track athletes, basketball players, and swimmers.

It's the opposite end of the planet from gymnastics and soccer.

Our head coach/owner has said that the gym's goal is to help any athlete that makes it to level 10 successfully to get a scholarship.

As many people have already stated, there are so many things that have more to do with the gymnast than the gym that affect the likelihood of getting a scholarship. A while back I spoke with our head coach about my DD aspirations of elite gymnastics and he very succinctly told me that through level 8 she would be fine where she is, but his goal is to get the girls in the gym to level 10 and into scholarships. If we want the elite track we need to start looking at other gyms that can get her there.

Talk to the coaches and find out what their goals are... if its just to hang a bunch of team banners and collect trophies... or if they have a huge rec program and few optionals then I wouldn't expect them to have any scholarship recipients. The gym has to be as invested in gymmies futures as we are to help them achieve their goals.

As so many have said the gym can make all the difference. I like the charts posted and find them to be pretty accurate. Our gym has @ 20 college coaches visiting a year with many coming multiple times. We have girls currently on D1 teams, girls currently "verbally" committed D1, and a few very desirable uncommitted gymnasts. This allows the more average level 10's to receive exposure to coaches and get offers they otherwise might not have received. Our coach knows all the college coaches and talks with them regularly. Also keep in mind that coaches will change schools through promotion, attrition, etc. So getting before as many coaches as possible is a plus. Summer camps at colleges are a good idea for the gymnast to meet coaches and get a feel for the different programs and universities.

We had a girl last year graduate as a L7. She was just not quite able to get the skills to move past that level, but she loved gymnastics and was a great role model for all the girls who aren't "superstars." Plus, she is just the sweetest kid.

We often have girls graduate as L9s. That was as far as their skill (or time) was able to take them. We celebrate every gymnast that graduates equally, no matter what level she accomplishes.

Not to take this thread too far off topic, but besides the fact that these girls got to spend ~20 hours a week doing what they love throughout high school, I would imagine that doing JO gymnastics at any level would be very helpful in the college admissions process. Supposedly colleges are now looking for kids who show a high level of dedication to one particular extracurricular activity. Not that it would directly help a kid get a scholarship, but it could definitely help a kid distinguish herself from the crowd and gain admission to a selective school (many of which have lots of need-based aid for anyone who can get admitted).

As so many have said the gym can make all the difference. I like the charts posted and find them to be pretty accurate. Our gym has @ 20 college coaches visiting a year with many coming multiple times. We have girls currently on D1 teams, girls currently "verbally" committed D1, and a few very desirable uncommitted gymnasts. This allows the more average level 10's to receive exposure to coaches and get offers they otherwise might not have received. Our coach knows all the college coaches and talks with them regularly. Also keep in mind that coaches will change schools through promotion, attrition, etc. So getting before as many coaches as possible is a plus. Summer camps at colleges are a good idea for the gymnast to meet coaches and get a feel for the different programs and universities.
Very good points. Someone earlier mentioned something about the university flags hanging in the gym, and I
Not to take this thread too far off topic, but besides the fact that these girls got to spend ~20 hours a week doing what they love throughout high school, I would imagine that doing JO gymnastics at any level would be very helpful in the college admissions process. Supposedly colleges are now looking for kids who show a high level of dedication to one particular extracurricular activity. Not that it would directly help a kid get a scholarship, but it could definitely help a kid distinguish herself from the crowd and gain admission to a selective school (many of which have lots of need-based aid for anyone who can get admitted).
absolutely! Regardless of whether or not they're going to do gym in college, extracurricular activities are always important when colleges are making their selections. Specifically at private schools, state schools are more geared towards grades and ACT/SAT scores, they don't look at much else....but it's always beneficial to have that on their application.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back