WAG What is TOPS diamond team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amusibus

Proud Parent
A couple of little girls at our gym were posted on the gym's Facebook page as having made TOPS diamond team. I have (from this forum) vaguely heard of TOPS A group and B group, but never heard of diamond. What's the difference?

Tops diamond team is the top 7-year-olds in the nation based on physical abilities at state testing (no national testing, no skills). They get a leo or something.

Actually, I think diamond team members get a jacket and their coaches can attend the TOPS training camp.

I thought they did?

No, they do the testing, no skills. Scores are added up and the top xx% make Diamond team, they are notified by USAG and they get a leo. A list is published.

Only girls old enough for TOPs A & B go to the National testing at the ranch.

Diamond kids get a TOPS team Leo. They used to get team jacket ( 10 years ago when my kid made diamond that's what she got), but they must have changed it at some point. Coach of diamond kid also gets to attend A camp for free, as kind of a clinic on how their diamond kid should be training.

No, they do the testing, no skills. Scores are added up and the top xx% make Diamond team, they are notified by USAG and they get a leo. A list is published.

Only girls old enough for TOPs A & B go to the National testing at the ranch.
So 7 year olds are tested at the State Level?

I think there used to be TOPs camps and Diamond Teamers could go. Developmental Invite camps replaced those and are now invite only.

Does anyone know what kind of requirement/expectation is there for the TOPS trampoline testing? This is our 3rd year testing for TOPS and the coaches don't explain to us what is being tested on the trampoline. DD is 8 going on 9 soon.

They do a tiny bit of tramp as part of the vault test.
For national testing, age 8: On trampoline 2 or 3 jumps to connected back tuck to straight jump to back tuck
Age 9: On trampoline 2 or 3 jumps to 3 connected back tucks
Age 10: On trampoline 2 or 3 jumps to 3 connected back layouts

Pretty sure they are looking for shapes and air awareness.

Just realized I listed the 2015 tramp skills. Not sure if it is different this year.

I was told they have to land on the same spot on the tramp???

Yes, they might be 2015 requirement but obviously you know more than we (parents) do and and have told me more than what our coach would have told us.

We have several elite/hopes girls at our gym that never did tops so it's not necessarily the best or only path to elite for many girls. We were told to have our daughter skip tops and focus on hopes instead...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back