WAG Experience boarding with another family?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Not gymnastics, and it's a boarding school not a family, but closest thing that comes to mind in the Midwest is Shattuck and both boys and girls hockey... Most of them are from other states, many from the East Coast. It's a good school so that's a big part of it, but I think the hockey program is a big part of the draw for kids on their hockey roster.

I saw this growing up in the sport of swimming. We had 6 Olympians from our club from the (boycotted, what a heartbreak that was!)1980 Olympics. All but two of those kids were home grown. Those two followed their coach to our team, but they were already world class. They had a trials and named a team, even though there was a boycott. We had people flock to our club in the 80s and live either with families or the mother came along and they got an apartment away from the rest of the family. Not one of those people improved all that much or came close to making the Olympics. One girl did come for a year, but she was in college, and old enough for her own apartment. She became a world record holder and Olympian, but she was extraordinary. There were some scholarships, but they probably would have accomplished that at their home club. None of the kids were mistreated and they all grew up fine. But is it a good idea? No. Who in their right mind would separate their family unless their kid was extraordinary, and even then??? Not one of those kids had Olympic potential. I honestly don't know what the parents were thinking. Most of them were really nice people.

Not really common in 2016. More common for one parent to move with the kid to a nearby apartment while family stays in another city.

O.T....Gymmomtotwo I am trying to pm you, but it is not letting me for no apparent reason....pm me if you will... :)
...sorry to hijack the thread...

It is relatively common in France. And (in gymnastics anyway) the kids on the highest track are chosen at age 11 to go and live at 'poles' - centres of excellence where they live, train and have special schooling. So unless you happen to live close to a pole, your child would have to either live with a host family or perhaps board at the centre if this is possible - I don't know which is more common. At the 'lower' high levels, it is also relatively common - one of the gyms near us is always looking for host families for girls whose families live too far away to commute regularly. Our gym doesn't have anyone in this situation though. I have not heard any negative stories about the poles or the use of host families.

In Wales they have a system where most of the top kids live in a house together if they live a distance away and each night a different parent of the kids will look after them, they are all home schooled together as well!

In Wales they have a system where most of the top kids live in a house together if they live a distance away and each night a different parent of the kids will look after them, they are all home schooled together as well!
Wow.
No offense to those in Wales, but glad my dd doesn't live there, and isn't a top kid. Even when she gives me h***, I still dearly love having her around...

Wow.
No offense to those in Wales, but glad my dd doesn't live there, and isn't a top kid. Even when she gives me h***, I still dearly love having her around...
Here's a news article where Maisie methuen (junior British champion) briefly talks about it http://bbc.in/1qMDMmR there was another article which went into more depth about it but I can't find it

Not gymnastics, and it's a boarding school not a family, but closest thing that comes to mind in the Midwest is Shattuck and both boys and girls hockey... Most of them are from other states, many from the East Coast. It's a good school so that's a big part of it, but I think the hockey program is a big part of the draw for kids on their hockey roster.
interesting, thanks!

My friend actually took in a international Hockey player for a year. While they are an amazing family, I cant imagine sending my child to a stranger. For me, no matter the talent of my child, I will not send them to be raised by another. I am glad it is not a decision that I have to make. But there are wonderful families out there who are great!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back