WAG long commutes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I live in Town A, then work in Town B which is halfway to where DD takes gym in Town C. All said there is an hour drive between Town A and Town C. It's not so bad going to gym but going home is the full hour in the car. DD eats dinner in the car and then frequently falls asleep until we get home.

I don't go home but I take online classes of various sorts to help pass the time. I also have a gym membership fairly close to her gym.

For those with longer commute times, do you stay? Drive home? Take or leave older kids? And speaking of older kiddos, how do you get them to/from their activities (this was a problem one day last week for us)? Has anyone hired a babysitter just to help with the drive, or even a transportation service? I've reached out to the new gym re: carpooling options, but haven't heard back. Thanks for any words of wisdom!

I stay in the area. Not necessarily at the gym, but I go shopping, or go to a coffee shop and get work done on my laptop, read on my kindle etc (or take a nap in the back of my van... hey, don't judge!).

I have two kids; the older one does way more hours than the younger one. If they both have gym, then I just entertain the other. If it's nice out, we usually go to a park. If it's not, we'll do something else. On the days the younger one doesn't have gym, my H and I decide who is going to drive ODD and who is going to stay home with YDD.

I would love to car pool, or even hire a transportation service, or something, but there's nothing that would work around here. *sigh*

I am too much of a control freak to ever want to carpool, so I am glad no one lives near me to tempt me...God forbid anything happened to my child when someone else was driving, or vice versa....seems very unnerving to me.

I am too much of a control freak to ever want to carpool, so I am glad no one lives near me to tempt me...God forbid anything happened to my child when someone else was driving, or vice versa....seems very unnerving to me.

I'm the same way. Well, I don't like my kids in other people's cars. I've picked up other kids on a regular basis though. :)

My gymmie (8) has fallen asleep in the car MANY times. But I think that would happen with a short or long commute, honestly, since the car motion just naturally puts kids to sleep. So, I see it as nap opportunities. :) She has said to me on MANY occasions, this commute is totally worth it. So, to me, 'nuff said! :)

That used to be me! I'm a total control freak. But, I had to change my ways when dd #2 was a toddler (she is 7 years younger than my dd #1). It was just too much for her. Luckily, I have a fantastic gym mom friend who car pools with me! Her dd and my dd started lv 3 together in 2012. Fast forward 4 years, and the girls are now training lv 8 together. It's been a blessing to have her! Maybe one day you will feel more comfortable with it!

Hi,
I recall there might be someone on here that drives 80 mi. to their gym. Or maybe it is 80 minutes.

I'd love to hear from anyone who drives over an hour to do gym. What is the drive like? Does the gymnast eat and do homework in the car? How long have you been doing the drive for? Is it worth it?
Thanks!

We had a lv 10 girl last year that drove about 80-90 minutes one way. I'm sure it wasn't easy but they were such terrific people to have at our gym. The mom would shop, read, or just relax at a coffee shop during practice. The gym moms tried to stay one day a week just so we could socialize together.

Our commute from school to gym is about 30-45 minutes (depending on crazy traffic) but only 20 minutes from gym to home.

We're an hour away--and have to drive over a mountain, too, which can be quite hairy when it snows (and a few times caused us to miss completely, because the road was closed). DD is only 6 so doesn't notice so much. I'm not looking forward to early training on Saturdays, though...and my other main worry is that the road will be closed while we're still on the gym side of the mountain, making it very hard to get home!

I stay and watch, at the moment, because it's too far to drive home and back again (it would seriously put my weekly commute over 1000kms) DD is young and wants me to stay. I plan to get myself a laptop and get on with some work when she gets older.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back