Improving R&C in 3 weeks?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xrachx

Coach
Proud Parent
So looks like DD is off to grades regional finals (came 4th AA so was reserve, but some one has had to pull out). Her scores at county were ok, she knows where the deductions came from so knows what she needs to focus on so she's confident on getting higher scores on floor, beam and bars.

But, her R&C score was the real let down (sub 10). Is it possible to dramatically improve R&C scores in under 3 weeks? What are the normal areas that need improvement?

I have a video of her routine if any judges/coaches could shed any light onto areas to improve, as past the obvious bits where I know she struggles, I can't see how she got so many deductions....

I can look if you want.

Best bet is to google some higher scoring ones, or from "known" clubs, to see what she's aiming for.

In general, range can never be too slow and controlled. Also watch for text errors- one of ours lost an entire move for not having her arms in the correct place at the end. Its quite clear in places that arms must be horizontal, or by ears, you can take steps, can't make adjustments etc.

Which grade is it?

Thanks Faith, will pm you a link.

It's grade 5, so I'm pretty sure it's the speed that's the issue!

I'm happy to have a look if it will help. I judge regionals every year, so can also point you in the direction of good clubs to watch routines from on YouTube :)

I won't offer to look, as I know nothing. But you can definitely make a difference in three weeks. I know the first year my dd learned the compulsory range she was getting better and better every week, I could see it clearly, and I remember just longing for an extra two weeks. She did fine in the end, but a month before the comp you would not have thought she would! Three weeks is a long time in gymnastics.
Also check the little technicalities. It's amazing how much difference having the hands pointing the right way, or the arm placement makes.
Lots and lots and lots of practice and then more practice. It's tough, but it really works.

Well, regionals have now been and gone. Very tough competition for DD (nerves got the better of her unfortunately), but it was a good experience all in all, and she's determined more than ever to improve.

But in good news, after the advice from you guys and a lot of work with the sports therapist, she managed to increase her R&C score by over 2 points :)

Shame about the nerves, but I'm glad she still had a good experience.
That's a great improvement on her R&C. My daughter could do with that!
What did the Sports Therapist do with her?

What did the Sports Therapist do with her?

They worked on various stretches to improve flexibility, exercises to improve strength, plus realignment and deep tissue massage to free up some of her leg muscles too (as she's tight on one side and weak on the other, so her pelvis is out of line).
Has worked wonders though, everyone's noticed the improvement (got rid of her dreaded bent knees!) so it's been worth every penny :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back