Coaches Should I allow my girls to listen to their own music during conditioning?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Aero

Coach
This is an idea I've been tossing around ever since my oldest athlete asked me about it (13 years old). She is a very hard worker and is very respectful and responsible, thus I am strongly considering it. However, I know that if I say yes, the other girls will start asking me, too. Before I possibly open a can of worms, I want to know if anyone has any experience with this. Is it a good idea? Or will it just become a big distraction and cause more trouble than it's worth? I'm talking like an MP3 player or cell phone playing music into earbuds, while secured in an armband. I want to say yes, and I feel it could possibly improve the enjoyment and work ethic of some of the girls, but I don't want to have a big problem on my hands if it ends up being a bad idea.

Thoughts?

Earbuds are possibly not the best idea, but if the girls want to listen to music play a song out loud that they can all listen to. Look up uptown abs workout at gymnastic gym in YouTube. You could even do something like that it would be fun for the girls
Here's the link:

No, it will just annoy you if no one can hear you.

Yeah, earbuds during gymnastics are not a thing to me, unless I'm misunderstanding. If they were doing cross training type of conditioning running at a track or something, maybe, but gymnastics practice conditioning? No.

You could have a rule where they can only have one earbud in during workout. If they put both in, then they have to put their phone up.

I think a better idea would be to let them choose the radio station or pandora station if they've been working hard. It could be a contest - whoever did X best today gets to pick the radio station. Or a team decision during conditioning. If the work ethic slumps, radio turns off or you put on oldies (pretty sure you're young though...)

No because
1 Isolating
2 safety if they can't hear you
3 Phones shouldn't be out at practice-don't start on that slippery slope, or before you know it they will be texting or snapchatting or whatever it is they do !
4 risk of phones getting damaged and ensuing grief from parents.

These are all good points. I've decided a big fat NO to listening to music via devices and in ear headphones. I like the suggestions about a group radio station, though. I have to find a way to get a radio station that the girls will like, that is completely random, and is clean (no profanity).

These are all good points. I've decided a big fat NO to listening to music via devices and in ear headphones. I like the suggestions about a group radio station, though. I have to find a way to get a radio station that the girls will like, that is completely random, and is clean (no profanity).

My team and coach put together a looonnngggg playlist (think like hours and hours worth of music) and we put that sucker on shuffle. Different genres and since everyone contributed there is something everyone likes; plus everything is clean. There is rarely a repeat during the entire practice. This has been our best method so far.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back