Members see FEWER ads

For all L6 routines except vault, scores work like this:

base score 10.0
three specified bonus skills that may be added to base routines .5 each
virtuosity (specified) .3
virtuosity (unspecified) .2
stick .2

By my math, a 12.5 is not possible.
For optionals though, getting a score higher than start value is possible with bonuses. On boys vault I've seen 9.9 and 10 execution scores multiple times. DS got a 9.9 this season. Frankly, I don't think they're earned. For what ever reason, boys JO vault judging is really lenient.

Yeah, I've seen that too, ZJsMom, especially on vault. One of DS's optional teammates also had it happen on FX last year -- his score was not based on realistic deductions, even with the stick bonus and a random virtuosity tenth or so. Nice routine, but no way should it have been a 9.9 or 10.0 execution.

But the meet I'm talking about was L6, so it wasn't optionals.

Both DD and one of her teammates at different meets received 9.9s this year as L7s. For my daughter beam, and for her teammate floor. It's incredible to see it all come together, the routine and the gymnast's execution and mastery. I cried for both of them.

For all L6 routines except vault, scores work like this:

base score 10.0
three specified bonus skills that may be added to base routines .5 each
virtuosity (specified) .3
virtuosity (unspecified) .2
stick .2

By my math, a 12.5 is not possible.
This is correct, any score higher than 12.2 at that level should not be possible.

My dd is a L3 and got a 9.9 on vault one time this year, which I thought was pretty amazing. And then her teammate went right after her and got a 10! They brought her over some candy and then at the awards ceremony made a pretty big deal of it as apparently that meet had never given a 10 to anyone previously.

I see a 10 at every Level 3 State meet. Actually usually between 2-5. Most of the time on vault, although last year I did see a 10.0 level 3 floor routine which was quite incredible to see because you don't see many perfect floors (well deserved, btw). It's funny because this year at L3 State, a girl in our rotating group got 3rd on vault with a 9.9! There was a tie for 1st with both scoring 10.0. Pretty crazy.

I see a 10 at every Level 3 State meet. Actually usually between 2-5. Most of the time on vault, although last year I did see a 10.0 level 3 floor routine which was quite incredible to see because you don't see many perfect floors (well deserved, btw). It's funny because this year at L3 State, a girl in our rotating group got 3rd on vault with a 9.9! There was a tie for 1st with both scoring 10.0. Pretty crazy.
My daughter's rotation group at States last year had a 9.9, and two 9.925 scores!

GOOD GRACIOUS! What region?! Dd has been competing since 2012 and I've never seen a 10.0, much less 2-5 per state meet! ;)

DU Nina McGee got a couple 10.0 on floor. She is an amazing gymnast. Sad we will never see her compete again, as she is graduating this year.

I had to laugh at the comment that said some regions are more willing to give 10s. Because I've watched supposed "10s" on YouTube and you can see the step on the landing, or the bent arms/low cast on bars, or wobble on beam that totally negates the 10 (compulsory) even to the untrained eye, yet they scored it any way. Mostly out west and Texas (sorry, jut the truth ).

In 11 years of my daughter competing/me judging I never saw a JO 10 at a meet. We are in a very competitive state and region, so a 10 will have to be so perfect. That said, this year I saw a 10 on Level 1 vault and then later on XS beam. I've also seen 9.9 on fx, 9.95 XS beam, and many 9.8/9.85 in all the events. I love seeing/hearing the gymnast's reactions and seeing her teammates loving on her.

I had to laugh at the comment that said some regions are more willing to give 10s. Because I've watched supposed "10s" on YouTube and you can see the step on the landing, or the bent arms/low cast on bars, or wobble on beam that totally negates the 10 (compulsory) even to the untrained eye, yet they scored it any way. Mostly out west and Texas (sorry, jut the truth ).

In 11 years of my daughter competing/me judging I never saw a JO 10 at a meet. We are in a very competitive state and region, so a 10 will have to be so perfect. That said, this year I saw a 10 on Level 1 vault and then later on XS beam. I've also seen 9.9 on fx, 9.95 XS beam, and many 9.8/9.85 in all the events. I love seeing/hearing the gymnast's reactions and seeing her teammates loving on her.
. I'm not a judge but I watch some the of the "perfect 10" routines on YouTube too, seriously there are some that would score 8s around here.

Your perspective is so interesting to me. I have never seen a 10 at a JO meet. I heard of one on vault at level 3 states in an earlier session. Based on how the scoring went in dd's session, that vault had to be amazing. I am in one of the areas you refer to and I see the opposite, often. I've seen beam routines that were truly amazing to watch, get a 9.0! Seriously, not a single wobble, every skill performed with precision, angle requirements well beyond minimum. The score seemed so low, should it have been a 10.0? I have no idea but higher than a 9.0 definitely. I am talking about a kid that I have never met, so no bias on my part either.

Your perspective is so interesting to me. I have never seen a 10 at a JO meet. I heard of one on vault at level 3 states in an earlier session. Based on how the scoring went in dd's session, that vault had to be amazing. I am in one of the areas you refer to and I see the opposite, often. I've seen beam routines that were truly amazing to watch, get a 9.0! Seriously, not a single wobble, every skill performed with precision, angle requirements well beyond minimum. The score seemed so low, should it have been a 10.0? I have no idea but higher than a 9.0 definitely. I am talking about a kid that I have never met, so no bias on my part either.
Yes perhaps it is the postings on youtube from those regions that make one think this, but I have several friends in one of those regions and the scoring is tight. Bottom line? There are judges in every region who are more forgiving than others, and there are judges much harsher than to be believed in every region also. I remember one meet my own child was at (different region)....the score cards were hilarious. There was not one event where there was less than a .5 gap in scores. Two events had .5 difference, one had .6, and one had .725! Talk about different perspectives...:confused:
Eta: this was at a pretty major meet, too, and happened with everyone!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back