WAG bruised coccyx

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
Hello, so munch fell directly on her butt, hard, very abruptly.....from a good 6 feet up, on a thin mat....NOT a fluffy one.
she was clearly hurt.....knocked the wind out.....walked out in a lot of pain.
confirmed she had NO fracture with an xray and she was moving OK the following day. She was resting Sat, Sun and Mon....

anyone have experience with this? I am thinking of a few days of no impact, and then play it by ear......I have a follow up in a few weeks.....
I cant imagine her tumbling at all right now!!!!

One of my girls did this when she slipped on ice....2 days before Regionals...needless to say, it wasn't pretty. It took WAY longer than I would've thought ( like months vs weeks) for it to feel better and she still sometimes will notice a transient swelling in that area....

Ouch, sorry to hear but be very happy that no fracture is evident. Impossible to say on the duration, could be a bruise or a bone bruise/bend etc... . Two very different recovery rates.

No fun. Ds did that slipping in some mud, it was many weeks before he didn't have pain. As I recall, it did effect at least a couple weeks at gym.

Ouch!

Well, for a quick peek at the more optimistic end of these injuries, my DD had a fall off low bar the other day (while going into/coming out of handstand). She landed right on her tailbone, onto a mat covering metal bar hardware...? (maybe not quite thick enough? This is per my DD) She rested and iced and sat out as needed. Thankfully, no break, and she was back to full practices in a little less than a week. That said, it sounds like she was maybe a lucky one?

Hope your DD has a quick recovery. :)

Ugh!!
I will be thinking good thoughts for her, how painful. Do you know what kind of bruise it is?
So sorry.:( I hope she heals quickly!!!

I've known of two girls w/ that
diagnoses recently - one was a dancer another a gymnast - both were pretty ugly falls right down on their butt to a very hard surface. Both were on complete rest for a week and then limited activity for 2-3 additional weeks. Both had full recovery.

I did the exact same thing when I was younger. Doing flyaway drills and swinging of the rings to land onto our backs on a mat. I missed the mat and landed straight into my coccyx on the hard floor. It hurt like mad for the first few days and felt like it was broken, but it eventually healed. Took a long time though to completely not feel the bruise anymore.

Oy, she went back today.....low impact, no tumbling.
She said her lower back hurt more than her coccyx after practice......I'm guessing it's just sore from everything....
More hot soaks and massages....
Thanks everyone.
poor gilr, big injury-little girl.

Please please please remind her to be careful. I don't want to be all doom and gloom but backs are precious!!

I fell down some wooden stairs and bruised my coccyx when I was 14 - 2 weeks before sitting my GCSE exams. I was in so much pain that when I went back for 6th form 6 weeks later I had to stand for a lot of my classes rather than sitting.

I still did gym at the time of my accident and I'm not sure I 100% listened to my body.

I often had the lower back pain after training. In hindsight I should have gone back to the dr but I was sure it would be ok soon!

I think there was more to my injury as I still get a lot of pain now (15+ years later ) and suffer with sciatica which I think is probably related.

So bottom line (excuse the pun!) - don't be afraid to go back to the dr if the pain remains!

Please please please remind her to be careful. I don't want to be all doom and gloom but backs are precious!!

I fell down some wooden stairs and bruised my coccyx when I was 14 - 2 weeks before sitting my GCSE exams. I was in so much pain that when I went back for 6th form 6 weeks later I had to stand for a lot of my classes rather than sitting.

I still did gym at the time of my accident and I'm not sure I 100% listened to my body.

I often had the lower back pain after training. In hindsight I should have gone back to the dr but I was sure it would be ok soon!

I think there was more to my injury as I still get a lot of pain now (15+ years later ) and suffer with sciatica which I think is probably related.

So bottom line (excuse the pun!) - don't be afraid to go back to the dr if the pain remains!
Thanks!!! The coaches are not letting her do anything with impact......she is mostly doing conditioning and some swinging......we have a follow up with the pediatric ortho in a few weeks to follow up......
Over all, I think she is doing OK, and I told her if it hurts, to stop.

Thank you for your first hand input.....I needed the dose of reality.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back