Parents What is a typical progression through levels?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Congrats to your young dd. Always keep a"let's try it and see..." attitude. I've done this since my kids first started in this sport. Helps with sanity!! My dd didn't start gym until she was 6 but was immediately placed in the developmental team and started competing level 4 at age 7. I would say that's not typical. Most of our gyms level 4 kids are age 9 and up. My dd is now 13 and training level 10. Again, not real typical in our state, but there are a few at her age. Probably more in Texas and California. (BIG gym states)

When parents ask us about move ups, we says it's typically a level a year, until you get to optionals and them all bets are off. Too many variables, injuries, fear, hard skills. It's a whole other animal. In fact, most kids quit before level 7.

All I'm trying to say is, if her coach says she can do it, she can do it. Ride it out. Support her. Even if she quits later, there are so many good things she will get out of it. Worth the ride, every time!!!

I agree with most of what's been posted. DD was a fast track with less than a week of Rec before invitation to team at 5 with no prior experience. Now she is 9 and will have the skills to compete L8 in the 2016-17 season, but will probably do L7 to be more competitive and spend more time on foundation before her body takes a real pounding in 8+.

Outside of all the other things mentioned I'll also add it depends on the gymmies ability to prioritize and manage school, church, and friends along side a very demanding schedule. DD is currently @ 4-4hrs a week, and will likely move to 5-4hrs in the fall. Also depends on how much the rest of the family is willing to sacrifice to make the time, financial, and medical commitments that are required with this sport.

I agree with most of what's been posted. DD was a fast track with less than a week of Rec before invitation to team at 5 with no prior experience. Now she is 9 and will have the skills to compete L8 in the 2016-17 season, but will probably do L7 to be more competitive and spend more time on foundation before her body takes a real pounding in 8+.

Outside of all the other things mentioned I'll also add it depends on the gymmies ability to prioritize and manage school, church, and friends along side a very demanding schedule. DD is currently @ 4-4hrs a week, and will likely move to 5-4hrs in the fall. Also depends on how much the rest of the family is willing to sacrifice to make the time, financial, and medical commitments that are required with this sport.

At first I thought this said 44 hours a week! :oops:

I believe level 3 is pre-team and they start competing at level 4.
I would guess that bars will be the determining factor for her. A kip is required for L4, and can sometimes take a while to learn. (But not always) If your kiddo is an "all in" type, I would definitely give JO a try before XCEL. She might really enjoy the challenge.

Kipper had 2 team mates about your dd's age who spent less than a year at rec before moving to the L4 team. Both had a rough start, but caught up quickly and finished about average for their age group (10yo). Both repeated L4 and had stellar seasons. The next year, one did very well at L6 and the other won AA at L7 regionals. I don't think either of them had as much gym/cheer experience as your dd.

I agree that there's no "typical" progression. My dd had never taken gymnastics before (had a few months of self-teaching at home that I had nothing to do with) and was on a team within 2 months of starting beginning rec and was competing within four months of having started beginning rec. She's done quite well with competing too and absolutely loves it! That she's done well tells me that my trust that the coaches knew what they were doing was not misplaced :)

I would guess that bars will be the determining factor for her. A kip is required for L4, and can sometimes take a while to learn. (But not always) If your kiddo is an "all in" type, I would definitely give JO a try before XCEL. She might really enjoy the challenge.

Kipper had 2 team mates about your dd's age who spent less than a year at rec before moving to the L4 team. Both had a rough start, but caught up quickly and finished about average for their age group (10yo). Both repeated L4 and had stellar seasons. The next year, one did very well at L6 and the other won AA at L7 regionals. I don't think either of them had as much gym/cheer experience as your dd.

Well, it has been almost a month so I thought I'd give an update. DD is quite determined to make the team so she asked to have private lessons to work on her bar and beam skills before her end-of-June assessment. She gained quite a few skills in just her first lesson this week. She now has all of her beam skills on the medium beam, except her dismount. Her coach said she has it on the low beam but they didn't have time to move to the higher beam, but she will try it there next week. As far as bars go, her coach said she just needs to get more confident with one skill and that she is very close to getting the one other skill that is required for team.

The coach said DD is a very hard worker and that, if she continues to work this hard, there is a very good chance she will be moved to the team at the end of the month.

I am so happy for DD. It amazes me how far she has come in such a short amount of time!

Right now she is doing 3-hour practices 3 days a week. If she is moved to team, she will be doing 4-hour practices. When do your children have time to eat???? The practices are from 4-8pm. DD will have about an hour to do homework beforehand, but when does dinner happen? DD isn't a big eater but I can imagine she will be quite hungry during practice.

Truly, it's very individualized per kid. Mine is 8 training 6/7 now and has luckily progressed pretty quick. At 3 1/2 she was selected for a pre-pre-team for ages 3-5. At 4, they moved her to a preteam for ages 5-7 and at 4 1/2, she was moved to train old L3 which is comparable to new 2. She's moved levels every season since. But there are girls who score out of levels and move faster than her even, so it just depends! Your dd having experience may help her progress quicker!!

Honestly if your gym encourages private lessons in the hope kids will get skills to make team I would be asking serious questions.

A child should be able to make team through regular classes. If the club uses privates as a path to team it has become a money making machine.

Many kids get sucked in to the private system to team and end up burned out and injured before they reach L6.

Honestly if your gym encourages private lessons in the hope kids will get skills to make team I would be asking serious questions.

A child should be able to make team through regular classes. If the club uses privates as a path to team it has become a money making machine.

Many kids get sucked in to the private system to team and end up burned out and injured before they reach L6.

The gym only assesses preteam gymnasts 3 times per year. The next assessment is in a month. DD's coach did not approach me or DD about privates. DD asked me if she could take privates because she is very close to having the last couple of skills she needs to make the team. It was common for her to ask for privates when she was close to getting a skill in all-stars. I don't see a problem with having private lessons to focus on a skill that an athlete is very close to getting.

Private lessons were common at DD's old gymnastics gym and just about every person at her all-star gym took at least one private a week. But I have honestly not seen another kid taking a private lesson at this gym in the time I have spent there.

Every girl and gym is different. My friend's daughter at 6 went from classes to pre-team in 4 weeks, to team in 8 months (old level 3). Last year she competed Lvl 5 and went straight to Lvl 7, and she's now 10.

Mu oldest started at 6, went quickly through the class levels in 12 weeks, went to intermediate/advanced for a year, preteam for 6 weeks, to old level 4.

Our gym takes kids from class to team, class to preteam to team, and also skips levels in compulsories if they are good enough. We compete levels 1, 2, and 3, most girls start at one of these 3 levels.

Since your daughter has prior experience, it's not surprising she's moving quickly, after all, it's not like she's a novice, and probably strong from the all-star cheer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back