WAG Gymnast or coach type more likely for mental block?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

While I agree 100% that yelling at kids that balk makes the fear issues worse, I disagree that lack of proper technique plays no part in this...
Agree and disagree, we get kids all the time who have improper technique , and they don't all have fear issues. Yes changing a skill can cause fear but the more likely culprit is that the kids all
Moved from a very laxed program to more intensity. Combine that with having to rebuild and you have the potential go up. Not to mention vestibular issues which run hand in hand with changing technique or growing out of your comfort zone etc.... So I would never point the finger at a previous program for issues that arise at the new gym,,,, that's just to convienient, and millennial. :)

Agree and disagree, we get kids all the time who have improper technique , and they don't all have fear issues. Yes changing a skill can cause fear but the more likely culprit is that the kids all
Moved from a very laxed program to more intensity. Combine that with having to rebuild and you have the potential go up. Not to mention vestibular issues which run hand in hand with changing technique or growing out of your comfort zone etc....
....and this is what makes the sport so interesting. Some kids who have improper technique and come from other gyms have fear issues, some don't. Some kids move from a lax program and embrace the intensity, others try to run from it. What a sport!o_O

Moved from a very laxed program to more intensity. Combine that with having to rebuild and you have the potential go up. Not to mention vestibular issues which run hand in hand with changing technique or growing out of your comfort zone etc.... So I would never point the finger at a previous program for issues that arise at the new gym,,,, that's just to convienient, and millennial. :)

Agreed. I had edited my original post to add that it is likely a combination of poor technique or a weak technical base compounded with a coach that is an idiot yelling about fear issues creating the perfect storm for a giant mess.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back