Bars protection

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

marie83

Coach
Judge
Someone please tell me I'm not going mad...

When gymnasts compete on single high bar of the A bars I know I have seen some protection on the uprights of the low bar (over the part where the low bar would connect)

We are trying to find some of these to use in our gym but can't find them anywhere. We would actually like to make some, but just wanted to find a picture first to work from.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or where to find them?

Thanks!

I know what you mean! There are proper ones that continental bring to comps sometimes. Maybe contact them? But I have also seen people just drape small mats over.

The top end needs to have strong thick padding. If a gymnast flies off crooked from a blind change and lands on top of the post it needs to be strong enough not to tear and allow the metal to hurt the gymnast. I think you would need to use some sort of matting folded and stitched into a sleeve.

that would require some industrial sewing machining then, if not the manufacturer then a sail maker should be able to make something up from your specs, mind you you probably don't have many sail makers in Brum !!

that would require some industrial sewing machining then, if not the manufacturer then a sail maker should be able to make something up from your specs, mind you you probably don't have many sail makers in Brum !!

Hmm maybe not! Haha.

I was thinking lagging but then couldn't find any thick enough.

I'm glad I haven't dreamt these things up though! Can't find them on the continental site at all or gymnova.

Thanks for the ideas!

I know a good local sailmaker to me, they made some stuff for my crumblies. The material they use is very similar to the blue mat covering if you send me some dims I could ask them how much it would be. You could fashion a lagging cover then have a tough sleeve to slip over that maybe ?

I was going to suggest pool noodles as well. Just take a sharp knife and slice open one side, then fit over the uprights. We also use pool noodles to make cushions for the bar rails themselves.

I am also finding many options online for pads for volleyball uprights, which may work for this as well.

In this video it looks like foam blocks placed over the low bar uprights. They look to me like the hard foam block used in yoga. You could cut a hole in those and fit them over the bar.

yoga-block-reviews.jpg

I don't think pool noodles will give any protection to a kid landing on them. The blocks look good. Email continental as they definitely have something they use at comps. Or ask them tomorrow at nationals. They will have something for compulsory 4 and 3 won't they ? They are both single bar routines.

Saw these today (the bar protectors not the men in front) and thought of this thread!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    712.9 KB · Views: 65

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back