WAG Level 7 Vaults

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymRatMama

Proud Parent
I am curious about level 7 vaults. My dd will compete L7 in the fall and said that she is bored with the fhs vault and is planning on doing some sort of twisting vault. I think she said a half on half off. My question is this, which vaults are most common in L7? Also, how is scoring? Has anyone noticed a difference in scoring between the fhs vaults and twisting vaults? We are new to the twisting world, but dd is loving it.

Better to continue competing the FHS and spend vault rotations in the gym building good foundations for flipping vaults. Most gymnasts won't progress very far with the twisting vaults, so she'd only be doing a half on half off until she transitioned to a flipping vault. Just not worth the time and energy to get it compete-able.

We have gymnasts that do twisting vaults and score well in level 7.
One of our girls that moved up to level 8 just added more twist to her vault - I think she did full on-half off or half on-full off... One of the two, lol.
Next season, she will be doing a flipping vault, but will eventually add twisting to that too.

One of our girls did a half on half off and scored very well. I chalked it up to the judges getting bored with the FHS vault. lol just kidding but she did score a lot higher. The half on half off could prepare them for a Tsuk.

Also really depends on your DD's vault goals. At my gym a few girls competed twisting vaults at old L8 because flipping vaults were too hard on their bodies, and they were probably never going to progress to the point where they needed a flipping vault.

Another reason to compete a twisting vault would be because you want to go "above and beyond" and don't care about getting a slightly lower score.
It's also possible landing out of a twisting vault could be easier to stick for this particular gymnast (i.e. being able to see the ground out of a half-off).

All in all I'd say the risk of having technical problems in the entry and landing are probably higher than for a FHS vault. So it's fine to compete as long as your DD and coaches are OK with taking that risk. However, a lot of time should be spent on flipping vaults in practice if the goal is to progress to higher levels and be competitive on vault.

Thanks for all of your great input. From what I gather, fhs vaults are most common. She has a beautiful fhs vault. I think she might be better off sticking with that for L7, but she disagrees. For L8 she is already working drills for a double front. I think that is the correct name. I don't think the double front has any twisting, so this half on half off might be pointless right now.

Our gym has our L7s (who have a strong FHS vault) add in a FHS full into the mix.
The girls who are strong with that vault will, at a meet, do the straight FHS as a first vault. If it's good, the coaches will have the girl do the full as the second vault.
I don't see any other gyms do this - they all just do the FHS. But our girls love it and have fun with it - and those who compete it score well with it.

Interesting read about the half on, half off. My daughter is planning on doing that in level 7 this year. She has 2 vault team records in 5 & 6 and is bored with fhs.

My dd competed lv 7 last season. She was in a team of only 5 girls. Our team scored 1st in state on vault with only fhs vaults. In fact, we only saw fhs vaults this whole season, including at regionals. Hope that helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back