WAG College Letters

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Very true, individual athletes could be competing for spots on many different teams. But I am curious about the numbers. There are 90 to 120 total spots on top 30 teams average each year for, maybe 200 to 300 hundred total qualified gymnasts? How many gymnasts do you think there are in a given year qualified for a spot on a top 30 team?

I didn't mean 50 different kids for each spot. There aren't that many level 10s in the US! lol

@shelovestoflip Walk ons are recruited like scholarship athletes, although often later. The gymnast should tell the coach they are interested, send videos, attend camp, call, etc. like everyone. Although each school is different, no school has unlimited walk ons because walk ons significantly impact a budget just like other athletes and many gym teams only feel comfortable with a certain number of athletes on their team. Academic schools may also be limited in the number of spots they can give for admission assistance.

where's the line between pushing and demeaning? disciplining and degrading? some coaches can't seem to be able to do one without doing the other - see penn state
Penn state ? The quote has nothing to do with that.

Penn state ? The quote has nothing to do with that.

I took the Penn st reference to be that the Penn st coaches probably "said" they were pushing and demanding of their team, when they had actually crossed the line and were demeaning and degrading...and justified their actions by saying they cared...

I took the Penn st reference to be that the Penn st coaches probably "said" they were pushing and demanding of their team, when they had actually crossed the line and were demeaning and degrading...and justified their actions by saying they cared...
I get that , just not sure why it's applicable to my post.

@shelovestoflip Walk ons are recruited like scholarship athletes, although often later. The gymnast should tell the coach they are interested, send videos, attend camp, call, etc. like everyone. Although each school is different, no school has unlimited walk ons because walk ons significantly impact a budget just like other athletes and many gym teams only feel comfortable with a certain number of athletes on their team. Academic schools may also be limited in the number of spots they can give for admission assistance.

Hi. So would the gymnast go through the recruiting process as usual, or would she have to specify that she is trying for walk on?

Please, can anyone tell me if it is worth it to use a profession recruiting consulting service? Please share your experiences. Thanks.

Please, can anyone tell me if it is worth it to use a profession recruiting consulting service? Please share your experiences. Thanks.

I would say no. Gymnastics teams are small and the pool of gymnasts is not that big. Coaches want to be contacted by the gymnast and coaches, not parents or recruiting services. But ultimately how you perform in competition decides whether or not you are desirable.

We have looked into hiring a recruiting consultant to put together a plan for Alex. We too have been told (like Gasrgoose said) not to reach out to the school. Our coach wants to know how much and what they will do for you first - as he has done several placements of gymnasts in the past and he doesn't want us wasting our money.

I would say no. Gymnastics teams are small and the pool of gymnasts is not that big. Coaches want to be contacted by the gymnast and coaches, not parents or recruiting services. But ultimately how you perform in competition decides whether or not you are desirable.

You need someone to advocate for your child. If you have the attention of an NCAA coach or your club coach is very good at contacting and knowing NCAA coaches, then you probably need no extra help because you already have advocates. I can envision many, many situations, however, where a connection (whether paid or unpaid) could make a world of difference (as may great videos or a successful camp). Every gymnast and every situation is different, but sending emails into a black hole with no response is unlikely to work unless your skill set, health, and look are exceptionally exceptional.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back