WAG L4/5 Floor deduction question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs. Puma

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
What is the deduction in L4/5 for not hitting 120/150, respectively, on the leaps? Puma Jr is well over 150, but it has recently been brought to my attention that she is stagging her front leg. If my research is correct, this is a 0.1 deduction in compulsories but it won't matter once she gets to optionals. But I can't find the deduction for missing the angle. She says it's very hard for her to get the angle large enough without bending the front leg on takeoff. Obviously USAG has a reason for the deduction in compulsories, and I want her to learn it the correct way, but I am just curious. Trust me, the only coaching I do is say "Listen to you coaches"! :)

What makes you think it won't matter in optionals? There is still a 180 degree leap requirement - on beam and floor, right?

Sorry, I can't help on the deduction.
Yes, but I was told they can bend the front leg on the takeoff in optionals. Maybe I explained that wrong! Sorry! I guess my question is that score wise in compulsories it may be worth taking the 0.1 hit of the bent leg if the deduction for not getting the angle is worse. But obviously in the big picture learning it the right way is more important.

You are correct, bending the front leg on takeoff in the leap is up to 0.1 in compulsories. The deduction for insufficient split is up to 0.2.

Splits are a big deal. Uneven splits (one leg higher than the other) are up to .1, insufficient split up to .2, bending lead leg up to .1. Then there's the added possibility of a bent knee for up to .3, and up to .1 for not lading with feet together on a split jump. A tough judge who takes all of the "up to" could come up with .8 if they were so inclined (most would never do that but you never know). I would say learn it properly now and worry about optional splits and leaps when it's time.

See, my dd learned bail to HS in level 9 rather than just a bail to get credit for a bail. She didn't have to go back and relearn the bail to HS because she never learned it the other way. Not that she always hit HS, but she trained it that way.

Another tip, your dd says she can't get the required split without bending the front leg, but honestly a smaller split with even, straight legs will incur less deduction than a bent lead leg on take-off, because those bent legs are so obvious and rarely missed, plus most judges don't take the whole .2 for insufficient split unless there's barely a split attempted.

Yes, but I was told they can bend the front leg on the takeoff in optionals. Maybe I explained that wrong! Sorry! I guess my question is that score wise in compulsories it may be worth taking the 0.1 hit of the bent leg if the deduction for not getting the angle is worse. But obviously in the big picture learning it the right way is more important.

They can but for example with a switch leap I'm pretty sure it's devalued with a stag takeoff and then that could mess with your SV if they need the B. I realize that can be worked around but it's never really ideal to do a stag technique in artistic gymnastics nowadays unless it's just a choreography element.

The reason she bends her legs is either a lack of strength in order to lift the leg straight, or a lack of technique or a combination. If she is still leaping with her wrong leg that could be part of the issue. Think about doing leg lifts or holding the legs in a letter L shape on the bar. It is easier to do when the legs are bent rather than straight. Also, it becomes a little more complicated on floor when they have to lift/takeoff one leg and they lack strength and alignment. In order to balance, the body can reciprocally tighten somewhere else when they're not maintaining alignment. They compensate because they have to somewhere.

The reason she bends her legs is either a lack of strength in order to lift the leg straight, or a lack of technique or a combination.
This is a really good point. She has definitely gotten a lot stronger in the last 11 months (the gym change quadrupled her conditioning) but strength is still an area where she needs to improve. In a quasi-related story, a gymnast at the powerhouse gym around here used to go to our gym apparently (I believe the family moved for non-gym reasons) and I guess one of our coaches asked her how they were so good. The young gymnast replied that they do tons and tons of leg lifts. So of course Puma Jr heard this and asked if I'd give her a penny for every extra leg lift she does this summer. How could I resist?! I may be broke by Labor Day but her strength should improve, right?! LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back