WAG Giants Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kipper's L6 group (they all competed L6 instead of L5) all started working strap bar giants in the winter last year (Feb, I think). Of course, they began working them earnestly in May. Some moved immediately to the real bars (June)...Kipper kicked her first solo giant over on the "real" bar on August 20, did her first full routine on Oct 23, and competed the first week of December. She had a mild wrist sprain that cost her a couple of weeks in Nov. Still, she scored a generous 9.05 at the first meet (it would likely have been mid/high 8's any other meet) Her team mate kicked over her first "real" giant on Oct 30 and earned 9.5 at the first meet a few weeks later. Just depends on the kid. So, if your dd's group is just getting strap bar going...October will be a difficult deadline. Just curious, do they have a cast to handstand yet? That will kill the score at L6 or L7, and unlike giants, it's "required" for both levels. (not technically required, but big deductions if you don't hit HS)

We had a small L5 group, 5 of the girls are being given the opportunity to score out of L6 (must have a 36 by our gym rules) and go to L7. I think it's because a few of the girls were hitting 37's the last three meets (dd included). We did not start up training until this month. As of right now only one has a cast to handstand. My dd says she is really close and the coach told me that as well.

My dd just got her connected series on beam, her toe circle and her layout but I just think the Giants are going to be a deal breaker. I'm pretty sure no giants no 7. Bars was not a strong event for us this season. DD's score counted for team score all season and her personal best was a 9.175 .

I've been pretty set on doing 6 and was kind of bummed when they mentioned the score out. All the other parents are pretty excited so I'm definitely in the minority, lol. But if you ask me why I feel that way, I don't really have a good reason.

We are at a very competitive gym and they do know what they are doing. I was really just curious why everyone was so excited about the giants on strap bar when it looked to me like there was still a lot of work ahead.

DD has had her Giants on regular bar for a year. She (as far as I know) has yet to complete any strap bar Giants. She does them fine on the regular pit bar but HATES the straps (claims to be in between strap sizes so she feels unsecured). She learned Giants on regular high bar, a few days with a spot, then pit bar, then on to regular bar set. Didn't take long. She had to re-learn them a bit once she got grips a while later. Most of our girls seem to swing Giants on the reg bars or pit bars instead of strap bar, it seems they're always working both Giants and release moves. :)

Oh, my.....GIANTS. Ugh. Totally depends on the kid the speed that they come. We've had a VERY long year trying to get them on the competition bar to no avail. (Just my kid - rest of team got them.) A year ago DD had them on straps, then single rail over pit, then one day POOF all gone.

Coaches thankfully backed off - no pressure - with time away from giants this winter and now starting to do them with spots on low bar and slowly single rail with heavy spots - this time starting over from scratch, focus on form, DD says these "feel better" this time. (Interesting - she hates the strap bar and won't do them there.) Slow and steady is the goal, trying to get these darn things to compete sometime this fall/winter. I know some kids get them quick, some kids get them slow ..... I need to hear from someone for those girls that are SUPER slow (and go back and forth and back again on the progression) it still can happen!!!

Coming from a gym which tests out of L5 and competes L6 instead, I can say that competing L7 should be a realistic expectation for the group you are describing. Scoring 37's in L5 is no small task, and huge in certain regions! Bars is Kipper's nemesis as well, and she is generally the last to get every skill. Slow and steady for sure!!! So, while I think you are correct that they have a ways to go, it's certainly do-able.

Kipper's L6 group (they all competed L6 instead of L5) all started working strap bar giants in the winter last year (Feb, I think). Of course, they began working them earnestly in May. Some moved immediately to the real bars (June)...Kipper kicked her first solo giant over on the "real" bar on August 20, did her first full routine on Oct 23, and competed the first week of December. She had a mild wrist sprain that cost her a couple of weeks in Nov. Still, she scored a generous 9.05 at the first meet (it would likely have been mid/high 8's any other meet) Her team mate kicked over her first "real" giant on Oct 30 and earned 9.5 at the first meet a few weeks later. Just depends on the kid. So, if your dd's group is just getting strap bar going...October will be a difficult deadline. Just curious, do they have a cast to handstand yet? That will kill the score at L6 or L7, and unlike giants, it's "required" for both levels. (not technically required, but big deductions if you don't hit HS)
Dd got her cast to handstand tonight. We are both very excited! Her ears must have been ringing.

Honestly depends on the child. My dd only did strap bar (consistently) for a few weeks before putting it on the real deal bar. Others take a year or more. My dd tends to excel on bars and struggle in other areas.

Best of luck!

What kind of strap bar are you using, because I think that matters a bit... if they wear gloves directly on the bar, I think it translates into a faster real bar giant because they have to learn to shift their wrists more. If they have a pvc pipe over the metal bar and strap into the pipe, I think it could take longer because they can generally just fly around the bar if they are tight. I'm sure there are exceptions to this generality but that has been my experience. Also, I find that successful level 7s have more to do with the casts and inbar skill (clear hip, toe hand, stalder hand) than the giant... if your inbar hits handstand and you have any giant (doesn't have to be good shape) - you will score pretty well. The angle deductions on casts and inbar add up - you only have to do one giant.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back