WAG Sequin assistance, ouch!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

duyetanh

Proud Parent
My dd asked me to post....hoping if I post here, both parents, gymnasts, etc will chime in. Dd's gym is getting new leos this year (done every 2 years). The last two years the competition leo she had only had a few sequins in the chest area....but they always made her bleed.:(. No one else on the team had this issue, so we didn't complain...we just pushed through...but she had sores on her chest for a few months. Darn that sensitive skin, ugh. She came home last night very concerned about the new 'model'....it is FULL of sequins all over the front.:(:(...and I have no idea how to help her. Last year I tries putting bandaid there on the inside...it didn't really help. She is too small for sports bras, even in the little kid section. We would greatly welcome and appreciate any and all ideas, as she is dreading the new leo! Thx.

There are light stretchy liner fabrics you can buy at any decent fabric store, and you can loosely tack it into place. There are iron-on ones, too, but I wouldn't use that on spandex - just be careful to buy the right thing if you go this route.

Last edited:
Depending on the manufacturer, they may be able to line the leo. We had a gymnast a few years ago who was allergic to the mesh fabric in the leos. They were able to get her a lined leo so she didn't have a reaction. Because it was sewn into the leo,she didn't have to worry about the liner shifting.

Oh thank you so much! I will order the liner today, methinks. I will probably go a child medium just in case she actually grows this year, lol!

If the sports bra option would work for her, but you can't find one small enough, you might try contacting Snowflake leotards with her measurements. They may make some for you.

The first few years my dd competed, her team required briefs. No briefs were made that small. I called Snowflake and they made her some that fit. They were super kind and helpful.

Check out discountdance.com and go to undergarments in the menu. I was able to find a flesh tone "sports bra" with clear adjustable straps for my dd when she was a tiny 7 year old. It worked great for an itchy dance costume.

I second all the suggestions anove but I would also bring it up to the coach. Perhaps the manufacturer has experience with this kind of allergy and may be able to do something in house. You are really not complaining. I would certainly make this issue known.

^^^ 4theloveofsports is right. Even if they can't do anything, it's worth asking.

If coach/manufacturer doesn't have ideas... I would try contacting a company about making a sports bra (ie. snowflake might do custom sizing). Wearing a second "Leo" is hot and uncomfortable. Imagine wearing two bathing suits, uncomfortable right? I don't think a liner would be the best solution, I think a sports bra would be better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back