Parents a quick celebratory post: promoted to pre-team!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dani4

Proud Parent
I just found out that my 7 year old daughter has been promoted a class level! It's now "real" pre-team, and looking at the new gym schedule it seems that it's now the last level before team.

She is over the moon! I'm excited for her too. She really deserves this. She has worked very hard for it. I first posted in CB 2 1/2 years ago wondering if I should let her do the pre-pre-team class. She has always had coordination issues, and she is not a natural athlete. She is tall and lanky, not super coordinated or super strong, but she has enough to get by. One of her preschool coaches thought it was a great idea, and the other one gave me a look and said "well it can't hurt to try, but I never would have pegged her for pre-team." In the beginning DD used to tremble like crazy on the balance beam, and she always wanted her coach to hold her hand (but the coaches were good at standing next to her and making her do it alone). She spent 2 years in the beginner pre-team class, and I kept expecting the coach to recommend that she go to rec. She sort of did, at one point, but said that she could stay in the pre-team class if she really wanted to. And DD did want to, so she stayed.

Over the last year I've seen her blossom into an athlete. She climbs the rope swing in our backyard for fun. She ran the most laps of all the 1st grade girls at the jog-a-thon. She is always in motion, doing push-ups and cartwheels and bridges.

DD is still going to have to fight for her chance, and I know there are going to be many more obstacles to overcome. But it's so cool that she has made it this far, I am so proud of her! Now I know that she is much more capable than anyone gave her credit for- and more importantly, she really truly believes in herself too.

Congratulations! That's awesome! I think it makes them appreciate it so much more when they really have worked for it, I hope she has a wonderful experience on pre team!

Congratulations to your daughter! It's so satisfying to see their hard work finally pay off. My daughter has a similar story--identified early for pre-pre-team and then told she wasn't good enough after all, struggled to make preteam and advance to team, etc. Like you, I have enjoyed watching gymnastics help my daughter grow into an athlete. It's a wild ride that sometimes includes a lot of frustration for the child and the parents, but it's worth it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back