Parents "Tucking in" a leotard

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LadyBugGymnast

Proud Parent
Has anyone taken a "tuck" in a leotard that was too big? My daughter found a leotard that she loves, but unfortunately, it is too big. I am thinking if I take it in on the shoulders and on the bottom it would be okay? Has anyone done this? Or taken it to a professional?

No, but I have bought one on clearance that I know my kid will love that is too big...and am hoarding it for Christmas. Any chance you could buy it and keep for the future?

I have altered a few leotards... And swimsuits... And every cami I have ever owned.
Some materials are easier to work with than others. Tucking shoulders and hips is easiest, but a professional could remove and relocate the crotch seam to make it fit better.

I have taken in several at the crotch and find that works well. You can't see it and then you can let it out later and although you can see sometimes where the stitching was, especially on the mystique fabric, it's usually not as noticeable there.

How close is she to fitting? I find for the most part when we have attempted to do this, my daughter finds this uncomfortable or awkward, and won't wear the leotard anyways. So we just usually put it away until it fits better.

Has anyone taken a "tuck" in a leotard that was too big? My daughter found a leotard that she loves, but unfortunately, it is too big. I am thinking if I take it in on the shoulders and on the bottom it would be okay? Has anyone done this? Or taken it to a professional?

I've often hand sewed a small tuck at each leg opening (on the inside at the seam) and to the shoulder straps (inside back). Taking in the leg opening makes an oversized Leo fit so much better, and the small adjustments are really easy to undo as kiddo grows.

You never know (and it might depend on the seamstress and/or the sensitivity of the kiddo), but I've had a couple of friends regret taking their dd's leos in at the crotch. Their dd's leos did fit better, but they refused to wear them because the stitching made them annoying or uncomfortable.

She is probably about an inch, maybe a little more under from fitting. I think if I took it in a half inch in the shoulders and a half inch in the bottom it would work? But I am afraid of it being uncomfortable for her in that area.

Can you better describe exactly where on the leg? On the side of the leg, like the long seam that goes up the side? Or just the plain ol' crotch seam? lol Im afraid if I do the seam in that area itll be very uncomfortable for beam work :( So Im trying to find a different way. Maybe a V shaped seam on the side?

I've often hand sewed a small tuck at each leg opening (on the inside at the seam) and to the shoulder straps (inside back). Taking in the leg opening makes an oversized Leo fit so much better, and the small adjustments are really easy to undo as kiddo grows.

How close is she to fitting? I find for the most part when we have attempted to do this, my daughter finds this uncomfortable or awkward, and won't wear the leotard anyways. So we just usually put it away until it fits better.

I think the only way my daughter has tolerated it, has been to only shorten the straps. If I at all touch the bottom area, she says it's fine but it never makes her rotation of to wear leotards. I think it would be uncomfortable because now there's excess material as a distraction. Especially since I dont' alter to remove it, my intent is to let it out as she grows.

I also read this a front and back tucks originally. :)

My daughter often wears shorts/spankies with the leos that are a bit to big on the bottom. i have taken straps in on a few but she would NEVER accept a crotch/leg fix. :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back